Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Looking for something....electric

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Re: Looking for something....electric

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    This is what I live for.
    Double your weight plus some and see how you feel about those mountain bike disc brakes slowing you down in any sort of hurry LOL

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I'm getting more serious about buying an ebike for myself and the lady. I now have my sights locked in on Ride1UP: https://ride1up.com/product/700-series/ looks like a lot of bang for the buck and still has a thumb throttle so can probably take this instead of a motorcycle/car more often.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hypertarded

been looking at this, very funky looks and good mid-drive unit
    https://nireeka.com/configurator/nireeka-prime

problem is it's always back ordered for several months. Lot of options, only $100 to upgrade motor size & increase top speed from 26 to 38mph.

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Buddy sent me this pic the other day, pickup this week!
    Looking for something....electric-f04204e0-12e8-4aee-a868-5904cab3c60c

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

A quick 8 miles through the high tension lines with a little bit of road added, I'm hooked! Got to 45 mph on the road which felt kinda strange for a small machine but not bad at all. In the woods and trails this was super fun, so light and nimble, goes from a crawl up to speed nice and quick while being predictable, I'm in love. I can see myself taking this out for some early morning rides without bothering anyone as it's completely silent for the exception of some chain and tire noise.
    There's 2 left at Higgins Powersports, these have been a pain to get like most everything else these days.
    Looking for something....electric-fd5d0bf6-d98d-4aea-b035-e4804bf1ac6f

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    @Paul - can the cake replace the 250's dual sport duties?
    For me, that answer is yes. But I don't moto camp or ride much highway on my 250.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Scale of one to ten everyone

Looking for something....electric-1a1a86d9-3915-4618-b153-cd89f928f65a

Your park avenue leads to..

It takes me 12-15 minutes to drive to Moakley Park at Rush Hour.

EBike takes 4-5.

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    I'm getting more serious about buying an ebike for myself and the lady. I now have my sights locked in on Ride1UP: https://ride1up.com/product/700-series/ looks like a lot of bang for the buck and still has a thumb throttle so can probably take this instead of a motorcycle/car more often.
    Ride1Up is having a small sale so I bought 2 that should be delivered next week. They have a 30 day trial so figured might as well try them out.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Double your weight plus some and see how you feel about those mountain bike disc brakes slowing you down in any sort of hurry LOL
    Try a carbon brake track with caliper brakes...

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

FortNine is always entertaining. Definitely some truths to this...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Ride1Up is having a small sale so I bought 2 that should be delivered next week. They have a 30 day trial so figured might as well try them out.
    Just got back from a week of camping in the Grand Canyon with no service and found 4 bike boxes in the garage (I ordered 2).

The GF already called the company and informed them of the mistake. Hopefully they can discount the current order or maybe I'll keep the extras if they can discount those.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by OneCheekRider; 07-11-22 at 11:01 AM.

Finally put these together. Ended up sending the extra 2 bikes back to the company and wished I held onto them before assembling. My bike unboxed without issue. Hers has a nice gouge in it that was actually under the protective shipping materials, so I'm guessing it happened prior to transit. I'm a little surprised as I thought they were packaged really well, maybe better than some more expensive carbon bikes I've bought. Hopefully she gets over it or finds a nice sticker.

Anywho, they allow you to do 20 miles during the trial period so I've been turning the display on/off to try and get the most out of those few miles but overall impression is that this is similar to my old commuter bicycle but on steroids. Comfortable riding position but man this thing can pickup speed. I wanted to run in full power mode but had to dial it back bc the beach bike path was so crowded. I felt like I was on a liter bike in a novice group trackday.

Really glad they put some decent brakes on these too. The only thing I need to do to these is true the wheels, they are noticeably bad and hopefully a simple fix.

On the way home there's a nasty hill climb and a lady cheered at me screaming "you're so fast!". I do like that these look like normal bicycles at first glance.

TLDR:
    Initial impression is great value ebike that still rides/pedals like a bicycle. I expect less ICE usage and more rides with the GF. Possibly a little bike trailer for the dog too

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Hypertarded

My concern with the Metacycle is the hub motor, I foresee issues with a hub motor that size / weight, both longevity, suspension control and gyroscopic effect.

Hub motors are the "cheaper" of the electric motors, i'd prefer a mid drive, but i'm guessing the $5k price point....

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    My concern with the Metacycle is the hub motor, I foresee issues with a hub motor that size / weight, both longevity, suspension control and gyroscopic effect.

Hub motors are the "cheaper" of the electric motors, i'd prefer a mid drive, but i'm guessing the $5k price point....
    My understanding is that hub motors are cheaper because they're a simpler design. So even if they do have an issue, I've read they're easier to diagnose/replace items. I also haven't read anything about a quality hub motor being less durable/reliable than a quality middrive. The problem with a middrive is you you'd still need a way to power the wheel via chain, belt, etc. If you're not doing any pedaling, a hub motor is probably the most efficient way to drive the wheel.

If you are pedaling, mid drive does provide a better pedaling experience and uses less wattage (since it's typically smaller). To my knowledge most if not all mid drive bicycles use a torque sensor on the pedals vs a cadence sensor which helps aid in the pedaling experience. I do not know of a middrive bicycle with pedals that allows you to run the bike without pedaling but throttle only. I bought an ebike with a hub motor to be able to use the throttle and expand its usage.

Last edited by OneCheekRider; 07-18-22 at 02:38 PM.

//I do not know of a middrive bicycle with pedals that allows you to run the bike without pedaling but throttle only. I bought an ebike with a hub motor to be able to use the throttle and expand its usage.
    Mine does. It’s an optional accessory for many bikes.

Also had a throttle on my first eBike, which I think we built around 2010. It originally had four SLA motorcycle batteries, which I upgraded to LiFeP04 when thry became available and affordable. We bought a hub drive wheel, controller etc as a kit, then had a community bike shop in Portland ME put it together for us a fundraiser for them: in fact it was assembled by one of our employees there.

This picture was taken in 2012.

Got my current bike in 2019 based on that long experience. Bafang Mid-drive, LiFe battery, 750W output, disk brakes, throttle, and front suspension were all requirements. This reminds me to get in the garage and replace the chain as the old one stretched out.

Last edited by Garandman; 07-18-22 at 03:46 PM.

Anyone have a 750W bike they purchased that will do over 20mph without pedaling? We’ve bought kits that may have exceeded that legal requirement (by a little, when new), but I’m wondering if manufacturers regularly do so.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/2085

Definition
    For the purpose of this section, the term “low-speed electric bicycle” means a two- or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts (1 h.p.), whose maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by such a motor while ridden by an operator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20 mph.
    Also, there was a tax credit proposed in 2021, did that pass?

Last edited by Garandman; 07-18-22 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Mine does. It’s an optional accessory for many bikes.

Also had a throttle on my first eBike, which I think we built around 2010. It originally had four SLA motorcycle batteries, which I upgraded to LiFeP04 when thry became available and affordable. We bought a hub drive wheel, controller etc as a kit, then had a community bike shop in Portland ME put it together for us a fundraiser for them: in fact it was assembled by one of our employees there.

This picture was taken in 2012.

Got my current bike in 2019 based on that long experience. Bafang Mid-drive, LiFe battery, 750W output, disk brakes, throttle, and front suspension were all requirements. This reminds me to get in the garage and replace the chain as the old one stretched out.
    That's cool, I have not seen that before! but I've only gotten serious about ebikes in the last 6 months or so and admittedly my price point has been below a certain threshold

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Anyone have a 750W bike they purchased that will do over 20mph without pedaling? We’ve bought kits that may have exceeded that legal requirement (by a little, when new), but I’m wondering if manufacturers regularly do so.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/2085

Also, there was a tax credit proposed in 2021, did that pass?
    I went into the advanced setting menu of mine and bumped up my throttle to 28mph. I think they set it at 20mph to meet regulations.

Last edited by Point37; 07-20-22 at 09:51 AM.

Hypertarded

.....I bought an ebike with a hub motor to be able to use the throttle and expand its usage.
    Hub motors fine for bikes, I was more talking the Metacycle in point37s link, think the amount of weight in the hub isn't desirable in an electric motorcycle

And as Garandman mentioned, there are a few with pedal/throttle/mid drive, Luna cycles has some and the Nireeka I posted above have mid-drive with throttle.

But wasn't "dissin" your hub motor bike

Looking for something....electric

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3559...716/?fs=e&s=cl

Looking for something....electric-img_9167-jpg
    Looking for something....electric-img_9166-jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Point37; 07-21-22 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    Looks legit.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss

The Sur Ron continues to impress and drain my account. As capable as it is in stock form, knowing it's potential and watching YouTube vids isn't helping. New controller is already on the way, among other upgrades I've already done, the possibilities are endless. This is worse than buying Harley shit! And more expensive!
    It fills a big void for me that's been missing. I hear the dirt bikes all the time playing in the high tension lines but I told myself no more. They get hassled, local PD shows up for a while on their atvs, ya da ya da. Although not quite a dirt bike and certainly not a standard e bike, it's a capable dirt toy that is quiet quiet quiet! You can hit these trails first thing in the am and no one even knows your out there except for the critters. Friggn love this thing.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss

Brandi at Larz Anderson this morning. DBag did a burnout when leaving: no more than 10 feet from a Brookline LEO.

Looking for something....electric-336934d6-146f-4f23-9ad4-127793b8befc