Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for a new ride

Smile Looking for a new ride

So, right now my trusty stead is an 07 R6. It's a nice bike in general but not exactly perfect for me. I ride mostly for pleasure year round and I dragrace in Epping, NH a few times a month. Someday I'd love to do a track day but without a trailer and truck, the track ability of a bike looses priority to other things.

The R6 is great fun for the occasional back road and on-ramp blast but I feel like I don't can't ever really exploit it on the street. It almost struggles to accelerate from down low and keeping it above 12000 on the street to have power when I want it isn't exactly practical. Not to mention it's not the most comfortable for the 2 hour trips north and back from N.E.D. To add to the comfort factor I'm 6'2" and 220 lbs and I almost look goofy big on it. When I do dragrace the bike it performs well for what it is, but there are some problems. To start, I've already replaced the clutch after 5 trips to race. I figure the 10k launches have something to do with that. Also, I could definitely use more power. 11.3's are alright but with my weight I am really hampering the little bike.

Needless to say the bike is for sale now and I have a few ideas on what it next, but I could use some advice. 05+ gsxr1000 make great power and seem to hold up very well to track abuse judging by all the bikes running at NED. The 04+ ZX-10 is about on the same level of power as the gxsr but I never see any racing wich worries me. I really like Yamaha's so the 04+ R1 is on my list. My first bike was an '86 Yamaha xj700x and I do love my R6 so the next step always seemed like it would be an R1. But, with all of those bikes comfort for me is still on the low side and if I can avoid a repli-racer I will. That said a few bikes come to mind. I love the Gen 2 fz1's. They look great and every review I've ever read about one is positive. The FZ1's are relatively cheap in comparison to others and they have the nicer riding position for big guys. But, I'm afraid I will still be wishing for more power if I go that direction. Lately the ZX-14 has been on my mind. It's known to dragrace and it will be more comfortable than the R6.

Anyway, I could use any help or input on a new bike. Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Re: Looking for a new ride

You might have more fun on the street with a twin. I don't know how they do dragracing...but maybe look into an rc51, sv1000, tl1000, etc.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

$$$$ Available ?

I swapped to a VStrom because I like riding the little roads with nice twisties and few LEO's
    The Vstom makes good power about 100 and all day comfort

Little tweaking and she's about 110 HP not near the 150 plus of a liter bike

BUT

I have put over 500 miles on 2 lanes and tired but not chiropractor wasted and when it turns to dirt you can keep going

PSST You need more than 1

There's a sweet zx14 for sale on this site with NOS already hooked to it. Check it out in the for sale section. Definitely a very well maintained bike.

Nevermind. Dynotune sold it

That was actually the bike that got me thinking about them. His was awesome.

As far as the twins go, I never really considered them. I always figured that if I was going to get a 1k it was going to make real power. But, I guess the torque make them much better for street riding.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    I always figured that if I was going to get a 1k it was going to make real power.

can you separate the duties?

I don't think a great drag bike will make a great street ride and vice versa...

Busa.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Busa.
    It's on my mind. But they are significatly more expensive for a good example than any of the others on the list. I know I wont be able to afford an 08+ so it seems that the ZX14 will out-perform the others.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    can you separate the duties?

I don't think a great drag bike will make a great street ride and vice versa...
    I figure I'm going to sacrifice a little from both to get the right bike. But, Just about any bike on my list is going to be better than my R6 at both.

Really it's main use will be normal street riding. I don't race for anything but fun on street nights. I'm not competitive with it.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

It's on my mind. But they are significatly more expensive for a good example than any of the others on the list. I know I wont be able to afford an 08+ so it seems that the ZX14 will out-perform the others.

I figure I'm going to sacrifice a little from both to get the right bike. But, Just about any bike on my list is going to be better than my R6 at both.

Really it's main use will be normal street riding. I don't race for anything but fun on street nights. I'm not competitive with it.
    Also some other ones to look at...Triumph Speed Triple, Kawasaki Z1000, Suzuki B-King, etc.

sell the slowbalt buy a track bike and a race bike. best thing i did was get rid of the rsx for a truck

2007 Kawasaki zx6r

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

You could get a MINT showroom condition ZX-10 for cheap, very low mileage. The bike has a little over 4000 miles on it. Not a scratch, always garaged. FAST FAST FAST. It's in the for sale section.

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

I had an 07 R6 and I have an 08 FZ1. I am 6'2 220. The bike is a rocket. I witnessed one dyno in the mid 140's when bergs got his baseline. Mine is plenty fast and a pleasure to ride. I would recommend upgrading the seat though. It seems to vibrate my ass a bit but upon reading it seems like others have that problem. Plusses are its comfy and it does not need valve checks until 24k miles, I like Yamahas, ergos are great, fast. Only cons i have seen or felt are the seat and the stock windscreen blows. good luck. FZ1 FTW

Oh and for a comparison you should be able to get an FZ1 07+ (06's need a power commander as they have bad stock mapping) for 5-6k. I paid $5k for my stock 08 with 5k miles. i did have to travel 3 hours and bring a trailer but it was worth it. Problem is that so many people have to sell their toys and are asking outrageous prices of what they need or want to get and not what they are worth. I am sure you will see this but there are many people with 04-05 bikes asking as much if not more than 07+ bikes.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

zx-14 with bar risers is your bike. used they can be had cheap. adjustable rear sets will help aswell. fz1's are great but offer less wind protection. at 85 plus the wind tries to pull my head off on my z1000. still ether bike is solid.

As far as the twins go, I never really considered them. I always figured that if I was going to get a 1k it was going to make real power. But, I guess the torque make them much better for street riding.
    You could always split the difference.... Triples are great street bikes. I can't say I have any idea about drag racing.

miss twisties is selling a mint 05 zx-10 its in the for sale section think its go 4000 miles on it lol

ridiculous bike

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

Quote Originally Posted by Subee13 View Post
    I had an 07 R6 and I have an 08 FZ1.
    How is the ride on the fz1 compared to the r6? As far as power goes did you notice much difference?

Quote Originally Posted by crowspeed07 View Post
    sell the slowbalt buy a track bike and a race bike. best thing i did was get rid of the rsx for a truck
    It's long sold. But, I don't have anyway to move a track bike around. So, I ride to race.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    zx-14 with bar risers is your bike. used they can be had cheap. adjustable rear sets will help aswell. fz1's are great but offer less wind protection. at 85 plus the wind tries to pull my head off on my z1000. still ether bike is solid.
    I keep leaning towards the zx-14. It seems to be a nice jack of all trades. I bet I buy the first deal of either that comes my way after my bike is sold.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

I love the FZ1. i do not have to shift much at all compared to the R6. I had to ring the neck of the R6 and make the motor scream to go quick. The Fz1 is balanced, fast and comfortable. You may like the ZX14 as you drag. I definitely noticed a difference in power as I can putz around town in the first 3 gears rarely shifting if I do not want. Up top it screams though and is a hell of a bike. My .02.

damm ive been out of the loop along time. what you driving now? you finally buy the vette?

2007 Kawasaki zx6r

No. I sold the Cobalt about 2 months ago now. The motor was on it's way out and i got rid of it before a big expensive build. But, not before making 417whp and trapping 120

Anyway no cool cars anymore. I had my 05 civic daily for a while but I'm selling it and I picked up an 05 SAAB 9-3 ARC for a daily. I won't be getting a 'vette until I get a house and garage.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

No. I sold the Cobalt about 2 months ago now. The motor was on it's way out and i got rid of it before a big expensive build. But, not before making 417whp and trapping 120

Anyway no cool cars anymore. I had my 05 civic daily for a while but I'm selling it and I picked up an 05 SAAB 9-3 ARC for a daily. I won't be getting a 'vette until I get a house and garage.

417 whp out of a cobolt?

Yeah. Stock longblock too. The thing moved good but it took a lot of time effort and money to get it there. And, as you would expect it wasn't very reliable. After racing my R6 I realized that bikes are the way to go fast and be reliable.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast