Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Looking to upgrade

Looking to upgrade

So, I got my GS500F about 2 years ago. It has been a great first bike and I do really like it. Thing is, with 487cc's I don't like the way it rides on the highway. She is high-strung, runs at high RPMs and is noisey (and it's definitely not the sound of a nice throaty pipe). I am kinda partial to the Suzuki line, but I am not opposed to something else. I have been looking at the SV 650S and the Gixxer 600....I am about 5'2" so whatever I get will have to come down, probably about 2 inches...I don't know much about that stuff so I don't know how it will effect the handling. Since there is a lot of knowledge here I am hoping for some insight.

Any suggestions?!

Thanks!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Nikki88; 11-08-09 at 07:08 AM.

Masshole transplant smack doogle's Avatar

Re: Looking to upgrade

Perfect time to buy. Worst time to sell. What are you looking to do? Commute, tour, carve twisties? I love naked bikes but the amount of riding I do a year (9k + miles) my previous bikes beat me up a long days (Buell XB12 and Superhawk). I have a 02 VFR now and I can ride 500 + mile days pretty easily.

The biggest thing is to know what you will use it for. Check out craigslist and let the shopping fun begin. I'm sure many on here will help and maybe even let you test ride to get you in the right direction. Here's my VFR and I love it. Handles good enough for me and does everything I ask of it well.

98 T509
    92 GSF400 (sold)
    2002 VFR (sold)
    2004 Buell XB12S (sold)
    2001 SuperHawk (totalled)
    1995 FZR (sold)
    2005 Z750S (sold)
    2003 SV650S (sold)

Nice bike Smack Doogle!!

2004 Honda VTR
    1998 Honda VTR (Track Bike )
    1990 Honda CB-1
    1973 Yamaha RD350
    http://www.ftmsnh.com

I commute back and forth to work as well as ride on weekends. Next year I am definitely looking to get out on some longer rides. I did have some comfort problems on my bike which limited me as far as how long I ride.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D062; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

my wife had similar problems with her ninja 250 (hated the highway) and went with an sv650s, added the full fairings and has loved it ever since. be sure you get something that is comfortable to you and you should be happy with any of those choices

Take a look at a sv650 or a ninja 650. Both are nice bikes and would be a good step up. That or the vfr would make a good bike too....hell. Just go check out the goldwings.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Giggity: BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.175 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

There's absolutely no reason someone 5'2" would need to lower a sportbike.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

^^

Says the guy who's 6'3".

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher Bergs View Post
    Says the guy who's 6'3".
    CEO is like 4'6" and he races an R6 without a height issue

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

He's also a man.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Quote Originally Posted by DBKromz
    Dead right. I'm very opinionated on this. Learn to ride and you won't need to fuck up the handling by lowering the bike. I don't mean to insult anyone when I say that but its become the fashion lately to slam bikes for the person too lazy to learn to properly ride a bike that is a little tall for them. I can understand it if someone is 4'8" but 5'2" is plenty tall to handle a stock sv or gixxer.

Last edited by Degsy; 11-08-09 at 12:26 PM.

Funny, I sat on an SV and was BARELY touching the ground with my tip toes!!! It's gonna be lowered!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DBKromz View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Giggity: BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.175 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki88 View Post
    Funny, I sat on an SV and was BARELY touching the ground with my tip toes!!! It's gonna be lowered!!!
    why do you need both feet flat on the ground?

I don't need both feet flat on the ground...I don't think the bike would go that low!! But I would at least like to have my toes touching the ground comfortabley on both sides.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki88
    I don't need both feet flat on the ground...I don't think the bike would go that low!! But I would at least like to have my toes touching the ground comfortabley on both sides.
    Serious question here. What's the 'upgrade' you are looking for? More power?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki88

Quote Originally Posted by DBKromz View Post

Hmmmmm. That statement said a lot

I'm goin to be bold here and suggest a sportster, even the SV is revvin on the highway, maybe not as much as a gs500 but yer still winding it up

sure a sporty 1200 weights 600lbs, but it's not buzzing at highway speed, seat height is low, cog is low, and the ergonomics are about perfect for smaller people. the sporty can keep a respectable pace in the twisites as well, get great fuel economy, better than the SV

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Banned

That's kinda where is was hinting at randy

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post

Dead right. I'm very opinionated on this. Learn to ride and you won't need to fuck up the handling by lowering the bike. I don't mean to insult anyone when I say that but its become the fashion lately to slam bikes for the person too lazy to learn to properly ride a bike that is a little tall for them. I can understand it if someone is 4'8" but 5'2" is plenty tall to handle a stock sv or gixxer.
    I have to disagree degs, I lowerd my VeeStrom cause I am more comfortable with both feet flat on the ground. did actual handling change, nothing perceivably negative, sure I lost ground clearance, but gained stability, especialy in the wake of trucks on the highway

the only reason I never lowered my SV, was cause they are so undersprung, I lowered it just by sitting on it, I could flat foot it then stan on my tiptoes and still have no clearance under my crotch

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Now I'm 5'3 and I have a 99 Yamaha R6 whose stock seat height I believe is just a hair off of 33 inches) Leaving it as is I could barely get the tips of my toes on the ground. I wasn't concerned when the bike was moving, or even at a stop light. I knew I could slightly lean over to get one foot down. My concern was backing it up into a spot. There are not always times when you can get into a parking spot with an accessible exit. I didn't install lowering links though. I had suspension tightened/lowered 2 inch in front and 1 in back. I can now get both feet down on tip toes or leaning over for one foot down flat footing it. When backing it up I lean bike over to one foot to hop/push it back wards to park. I have no handling issues except its a little bumpy over rough surfaces. I also had to cut my kickstand. That may be an option.

Last edited by Duffy; 11-08-09 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Now I'm 5'3 and I have a 99 Yamaha R6 whose stock seat height I believe is just a hair off of 33 inches) Leaving it as is I could barely get the tips of my toes on the ground. I wasn't concerned when the bike was moving, or even at a stop light. I knew I could slightly lean over to get one foot down. My concern was backing it up into a spot. There are not always times when you can get into a parking spot with an accessible exit. I didn't install lowering links though. I had suspension tightened/lowered 2 inch in front and 1 in back. I can now get both feet down on tip toes or leaning over for one foot down flat footing it. When backing it up I lean bike over to one foot to hop/push it back wards to park. I have no handling issues except its a little bumpy over rough surfaces. I also had to cut my kickstand. That may be an option.
    I have this concern as well. I can move my GS around pretty well, but it's light!

As far as why I want to upgrade, I wouldn't say it's for power...I want something a little bigger, I want something with a wider rear tire, I hate the way it sounds when I get above 70mph, etc. When I bought my bike 2 years ago I new it was a starting point...something to learn on. I feel comfortable now and want something new.

Masshole transplant smack doogle's Avatar

The sportster wouldn't be a bad idea for what you want to do but if the thought of riding a cruiser makes you puke in your mouth a little (I know the feeling) then I think the Ninja 650 would be the hot ticket or maybe the ER6n. Either is fine, they are a step up, still sporty enough and should be low enough for you to keep from having to mess with it.

Sounds like you are set on lowering it regardless so just be sure you have someone who knows what they are doing take the job. If they mention raising the forks 3-4" you might want to run away and find someone else. Had someone I work with pay money for someone to do this. I smacked him in the face for it.

98 T509
    92 GSF400 (sold)
    2002 VFR (sold)
    2004 Buell XB12S (sold)
    2001 SuperHawk (totalled)
    1995 FZR (sold)
    2005 Z750S (sold)
    2003 SV650S (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki88 View Post
    I have this concern as well. I can move my GS around pretty well, but it's light!

As far as why I want to upgrade, I wouldn't say it's for power...I want something a little bigger, I want something with a wider rear tire, I hate the way it sounds when I get above 70mph, etc. When I bought my bike 2 years ago I new it was a starting point...something to learn on. I feel comfortable now and want something new.

Nothing wrong with wanting to upgrade for more power, throatier sound, bad ass looking. I started on a Ninja 250 and although I loved it (something always special about your first bike) and it was a blast to ride, I knew it was only a stepping stone for my next bike. The first time I took my new ride out, I couldn't believe the rush. The power/torque was so noticeable right away I fell in love instantly (HUGE difference from a 250 ) and I was surprised at how well it went into turns to so I wasn't intimidated as much as I thought I would be. And I barely noticed the increased weight. Getting another bike regardless of why is your business and what you have to do to it to make it ridable for YOU is also your business. As you get use to it you may realize that a certain modification just doesn't feel right and then you can re tweak it.

Banned

Fair enough. If you want something a little bigger with a fatter rear tire, that's looks, not performance. Lower away! Oh, and Randy, a v strom isn't a sportbike. The handling isn't ruined because its not going to be pushed to any kind of limits as far as trail or swingarm angle matter.

Last edited by Degsy; 11-08-09 at 04:56 PM.

Banned

Screw me for thinking outside the box here, but on the few occasions I need to back my bike up, I get off and walk it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast