Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Looking for winter storage tips from the NESR group

Question Looking for winter storage tips from the NESR group

I'm starting to think about my first endeavor ever into storing a bike over the winter months. I already have a climate controlled location for her...and it's free (well, included in the rent). she will be in my kitchen! So, that part is taken care of. Realisitically, it will be in my kitchen for up to 5 months (central New Hampshire), so keep this in mind when responding.

What I would like to hear from the congregation are some tips on storing the bike in a climate controlled environment. Do I leave the tank full and add preservative? Do I turn off my petcock and run the fuel lines dry? Or, can I run the tank empty and skip the preservative crap since it will be in climate control and tank condensation will not be an issue? Do I remove the battery? Or at least, disconnect it from the electrical system?

Anything else you would care to add would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the wealth of knowledge and expertise that is about to surge in my direction.

Dom

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    see ya,
    DJD

Littering and........

I suggest that you put it in the living room, figure out some sort of cup-holder for it, and use it as a seat to watch bike racing onwhile drinking beer.

If you really are going to keep it in the kitchen, you'll want to drain all of the fuel out and give it a couple of says for the vapor to clear out so your kitchen doesn't smell like gasoline. I would leave the old oil right in it, and just change it in the spring. Other than that, just disconnect the battery, and you should be all set.

Already been done

Elaino HAs done that with a picture to boot.
    Can ya repost it?
    Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    -Suf Daddy

Originally posted by highsider
    I suggest that you put it in the living room, figure out some sort of cup-holder for it, and use it as a seat to watch bike racing onwhile drinking beer.

If you really are going to keep it in the kitchen, you'll want to drain all of the fuel out and give it a couple of says for the vapor to clear out so your kitchen doesn't smell like gasoline. I would leave the old oil right in it, and just change it in the spring. Other than that, just disconnect the battery, and you should be all set.

Suf Daddy.

right on brotha!

'Cept change the oil first, and the coolant, and fog the cyl with wd40 (I rarely do, but it makes a difference over a couple of years.) Put it up on stands so you won't flat your tires, or buy a new set in the spring.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Originally posted by legalspeed
    right on brotha!

'Cept change the oil first, and the coolant, and fog the cyl with wd40 (I rarely do, but it makes a difference over a couple of years.) Put it up on stands so you won't flat your tires, or buy a new set in the spring.
    Luckily, my oil IS the coolant on my Bandit, so two birds with one stone there. The Bandit comes equipped with a "center stand", this helps too. I've heard of the "cylinder fog" technique as well, except the other advisor suggested using a few drops of Marvel mystery oil into each of the cylinders.

see ya,
    DJD

Unfortunately, my kitchen is the biggest room on my first floor.....and the closest to the back porch door as well (the entry area for the bike when she comes in). So, no living room set up for me.

see ya,
    DJD

Storage for the winter???? Fuckin ride that thing son.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Here is a great link from the top Ducati dealer in the US. Some of the steps may not specifically apply to your bike, but its a good read anyway.

http://www.bcmducati.com/article.cfm?id=62&type=15

Quote Originally Posted by Kham View Post
    you seem to be related to nikon. so fuckyou too! go suck a cock./1
    2012 R1200GS Rallye

I put my R7 in the house every year and all i do is fully drain all the fuel from the tank and lines, then let it air out for a week or so before i bring it inside. I also take the battery out and put it on the wooden shelf and charge once a month or so. Never once had a problem with this method

Yamaha

Re: Looking for winter storage tips from the NESR group

When you're ready to have at it, gimme a hollar. I'll give ya a hand buttoning 'er down...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Re: Re: Looking for winter storage tips from the NESR group

Originally posted by Stoneman
    When you're ready to have at it, gimme a hollar. I'll give ya a hand buttoning 'er down...
    You plan on having a winterizing day at the pad again?

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Re: Re: Re: Looking for winter storage tips from the NESR group

Originally posted by PinHead
    You plan on having a winterizing day at the pad again?
    I was actually thinking about it. Last time it was more of a 'learn to do minor things that you would normally pay a mechanic for'. It kinda turned out to be a bit of a cluster fuck, but peeps shoulda walked away with some knowledge...

If I do it again, we'll work it a bit better. Like for everyone 3 people that wanna actually learn how to do this shit, we'll have 1 person showing 'em how. Break it down to like, a work station-type set up. Like, have one person showing 'em how to flush coolant. Then they move onto the next guy (station) showing 'em how to change erl, the next 'station' could be chain adjustment and maint., and so on. Have groups of 2 or 3 moving from 'station' to 'station'...

I'd limit it to only the people that ligitimately aren't familiar with these kindsa things. I'd also set up a paypal donation link for people to make donations to that'll go directly to site upkeep...

Maybe I should start another thread on this...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

....................... PinHead's Avatar

I'll help ya out so long as it doesn't end up on a kiddie weekend for me.
    It really sucks that we are thinking of winter Where has the summer gone?

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce