Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sport or Sport-touring tires?

Sport or Sport-touring tires?

I need a new set of tires for my GSX-R750 and it's been a while since I followed what was good. Most of my riding is on the highway to meet up for group rides or putting around local back roads. I only did 1200 miles last year and zero of that was on the track. Since I'm not dragging knee, I'm leaning towards a more sport-touring oriented tire to get more life out of the center. Should I go with something like the Pilot Roads? Or stay with something really sticky since I only buy tires every couple of years anyway?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Sport or Sport-touring tires?

Pilot Road 4's. I drag pegs on them with my Wee and they last forever. Great tire.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

If you're not doing tons of track days and want tire life, but don't want to sacrifice grip, get the Pirelli Angels or the Michelin Pilot Roads. I have Angel GTs with over 7k on them and they still have tons of life.

LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Lifer

I recently wore out the Angel GT's that came with the bike at purchase. They had more grip than I have skill. But the rear looked fine right up until it didn't. It'd been square for a while, and I'd been eying the center wear. I left for a trip to NH and while they were worn, surely they had a few more trips left. Arriving in NH I was shocked to see they were done and had a nervous ride home. Googling showed me others on ADV have reported similar: The GT's seem to lose that last bit of good rubber surprisingly quickly.

Replaced with a set of PR4's and been very happy with them. Though they don't seem to have the front tire braking grip that the GT had.

Last edited by aldend123; 09-18-14 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Meant to say PR4, not PS4. I have the Roads.
    nedirtriders.com

Bridgestone T30's, plenty of grip and seem to be wearing pretty well. Bonus, waaaay cheaper than Pilot Roads......... Also I road some pretty fun roads last Saturday in the Castskills in heavy rain and found myself motoring right along, I never once felt that I was overriding the tires.

http://www.ridermagazine.com/gear/br...es-review.htm/

Last edited by duganc1717; 09-18-14 at 02:57 PM.

I'll second the PR4s, they're great in the rain too.

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Any set of sport touring tires are great for street riding. Popular choices here are the Michelin Pilot Road 2, 3, & 4's, Bridgestone BT023 & T30, Pirelli Angels, Dunlop Roadsmart, Metzler Z8, etc. You will not outride the performance of these tires on street and they are great in a variety of temperatures as well as rain.

Wirelessly posted (HTC One X+)

Thanks guys, I think I'll go with the PR4s. I've had Michelins for the last couple of sets and they've never let me down. Plus the reviews of them online seem like they can't say enough good things about them.

Lifer

+1 on the Pilot Roads. I've run the PR2 and PR3's on my V-Strom and love them. So much that I basically don't even consider any other tire. I just have too much confidence in these things. Wet, dry, cold, hot, whatever. Throttle pinned right out of the driveway in the morning.

I bought a bike earlier this year with Bridgestone BT-016 and -023 tires mounted on it. I'm not liking them as much. I can't put my finger on why, but they are less confidence inspiring.
    I also put Bridgestones on my sumo; their track day 003 up front and a 023 sport touring tire on the rear. Again, prefer the Pilots.

Superb street tire, IMO.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

'nuther vote for PR2/PR3s. Love 'em, though I never seem to get the mileage that everyone else gets. That said, I get under 3000 miles out of stickier street tires.

If you only do 1200 mi/year you're going to age out of sport touring tires before you wear them out unless you're really hard on them. So my suggestion would be Pilot Power 3s or the equivalent dual compound sport tire in your favorite brand.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

I agree with golden on this one.

If you only ride less than 2k/ year, stick with sport tires, that way, they will "age out" about the same time they wear out

unless you don't mind riding on UV exposed cracked between the tread tires or don't mind replacing long before tread life tells you to

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I've had the same sport touring tires on the ZRX a for 5 years. No signs of degradation. I keep it inside when not in use.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I have BT023 on the current bike and had BT023GT on the previous bike. They are a very stiff tire. While they wear well, I wouldn't advise them on a bike that is ridden with spirit on a regular basis. And you really don't need this tire unless your bike is heavy(er). I went with the regular 23 this time thinking they were a bit softer, but they were still a beast to install and the ride quality is overly harsh.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    If you only do 1200 mi/year you're going to age out of sport touring tires before you wear them out unless you're really hard on them.

thinking of the same thing..

hey Alex

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Lifer

With a GSXR750, they may wear faster than they do for others. Similar to Stoinky's experiences. I used to tear through "sport touring" rears on my Bandit in like 5k miles. I see 8-12k out of rears with the DL650 now.

I still say try Pilot Roads. Great tire.

I vote PR4's, if for no other reason you can hammer on them when cold without worry. They also won't hold you back when you want to rip either.

6800 miles on my last rear one on the Tiger. They wear if have a heavy wrist.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Since this seems like a fitting place (since quite a few of you guys like the PR3/4's), do you notice any wandering or instability with all of the small sipes? Do they limit road feel? Not that these are tires you're going to be railing tons of twisties with, but I've just wondered. I'm on my third(?) set of Angel ST's, the predecessor to the new GT's, and feel they have been great.

I'm just testing the waters a bit since I will probably need a new full set early next spring and it will be between the PR and Angel again.

Lifer

No wandering. No instability. Road feel is good. Wet traction is good. Dry traction is good.

We've ridden together, right? I rode these tires in NC (@ the DRAGON YO!). I've ridden these tires on the track. I would do so again.

One of the things I dig about them the most is how they feel when you tip in. Someone once told me Michelins tend to run a tall, triangular shaped profile. I presume thats related to the tip in thing. First time I levered the bike into a corner after switching from the stock Bridgestone Battlewings I thought I was gonna crash. ... Way fun.

Never ridden a Pirelli. Or a Continental. Or half a dozen other brands too. Maybe they kick ass too. Maybe they kick moar ass. But I like these PR's so much that I'll probably never bother to try the other brands to find out.

My only complaint is the cost. Thus far worth it though.

Lifer

..There is some instability. Some wandering. But only near the end of the tire life. (Der, really?!)

My current set are nearly done and starting to talk back. I'll push them through fall 'cause I'm cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    We've ridden together, right?
    Nope, not yet. Wish I had more time to do some group rides this year, but it never happened.

..There is some instability. Some wandering. But only near the end of the tire life. (Der, really?!)
    This is to be expected a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by MHenry600 View Post
    Since this seems like a fitting place (since quite a few of you guys like the PR3/4's), do you notice any wandering or instability with all of the small sipes? Do they limit road feel? Not that these are tires you're going to be railing tons of twisties with, but I've just wondered. I'm on my third(?) set of Angel ST's, the predecessor to the new GT's, and feel they have been great.

I'm just testing the waters a bit since I will probably need a new full set early next spring and it will be between the PR and Angel again.
    Never noticed any instability. You absolutely can rail twisties with them and you can even do it loaded.

The tires sing out and talk to you but they hold the line you want all day without complaint.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Wirelessly posted (HTC One X+)

I bet my current 2CTs are about 5 years old. I'll have to check my spreadsheet at home. My bike is stored in a heated garage up on stands for the winter. I'm thinking about getting a new bike in a year or so, so maybe the tire choice is moot?

Lifer

I tend to like to get my money's worth from my tires.

I tend to like roads with only left turns
    fixed

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast