Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Lost my only key WTF do i do??

Re: Lost my only key WTF do i do??

sav i go with my father every year for fathers day, have for the last 9 years ive been riding on the street. this year is the first year my brother has a bike and the three of us have the chance to ride together. just something i look forward to every year, even more so this year. and like i stated...i have no friends

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Lrrs/ccs expert #221
    1812 paint and body, www.thiefindustries.com, Choate Tree Service,
    Addrenaline Cycle, Swansea Ma, Townsend Computer Technologies, "Innovation in imaging"

i am a locksmith in wilmington MA, no one remembers for some reason. i may be too far away to help though.

.:|LaRNZ|:.

maybe you could help just through this....im hearing that a locksmith should be able to key a bike without the key code relatively easy, for under a hundred bucks....why are none of the smiths i can get a hold of saying this?

Lrrs/ccs expert #221
    Addrenaline Cycle, Swansea Ma, Townsend Computer Technologies, "Innovation in imaging"

it is possible, its gonna depend on who you get a hold off though. for instance, we do not specialize in the automotive end of things as much as we used to. so for me to get things done i have to take alot more steps in order to get a key to go.

for instance there are a lot of guys out there who specialize strictly in the automotive end of things. so impressioning a key is fairly simple to do for them. i have seen someone make keys to a car in literally under 5 minutes by way of that method. i unfortunately blow at impressioning.

the way i would have to do it to probably pick open the gas tank and make a key from that. its not over though. most gas caps only used MOST of the wafers the key has. so for instance, your key probably has 8 cuts on it, the gas cap will probably only cuts 1-6, or 3-8, something to that effect. so then you have to make keys by trial in error to get the remaining two cuts. cuts can be typically 1-4, so you have all those combinations out there, 1-1,1-2,1-3,1-4,2-1,2-2,2-3,2-4, so on and so forth, to find the remaining two cuts. there are books out there for locksmiths that have the sequences, saying if your key has cuts XXXXXX for the first 6 chambers, your remaining two cuts are XX, but they are crazy money, and i dont see NEARLY enough of this stuff to justify the cost of buying them.

the way i would most likely have to do it, is having you pull the ignition and then i can make a key i can guarantee will work. typical cost for having this done is right around 40 bucks or so, and should only take a few hours to do depending on how busy it is. i have plenty of your key blanks in stock, and would be able to give you paperwork so if you do lose it again, you would have the exact cuts i would need to duplicate one. without having to do through this again.

where is your shop maybe ill take a ride down? also what time you do business til?

Lrrs/ccs expert #221

cant you call the dealer with vin and have them make one? i am sure they want proof but......... or cry

its a haul from you, roughly 2 hrs and 45mins judging by google maps.
    456 main street wilmington MA - D&D Lock

Monday - Friday 730-5

PM'ed you my cell as well

Quote Originally Posted by jtryz View Post
    cant you call the dealer with vin and have them make one? i am sure they want proof but......... or cry
    they tell me the vin wont do it. need the key number.

Lrrs/ccs expert #221

this is an option if the bike is purchased from a shop, ive heard some people having luck with the dealers, and others not so much. if he can atleast get me the keycode, i can cut one by that, which shouldnt be a problem at all, and would be alot easier/cheaper for him.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRNZ View Post
    its a haul from you, roughly 2 hrs and 45mins judging by google maps.
    456 main street wilmington MA - D&D Lock

Monday - Friday 730-5

PM'ed you my cell as well
    that is a haul but i really appreciate the input. if thats what it comes down to ill shoot you a text. thanks again

Lrrs/ccs expert #221

this is an option if the bike is purchased from a shop, ive heard some people having luck with the dealers, and others not so much. if he can atleast get me the keycode, i can cut one by that, which shouldnt be a problem at all, and would be alot easier/cheaper for him.
    i called the dealer i got the bike from, but i bought it used from the shop. they dont have the key code.

Lrrs/ccs expert #221

Maybe Triumph does things differently but I had a key cut for my Daytona from the VIN. We contacted the original selling dealership and they had Triumph FedEx them the key. I had the key in about 5 days all the way from Triumphs factory.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by k_cotter View Post
    i called the dealer i got the bike from, but i bought it used from the shop. they dont have the key code.
    I would think any helpful dealer could run the VIN to tell you where the bike originally came from. That might be the best place to start. Know anyone that works at a dealer?

Jeff

i dont. ill be calling more dealers tomorrow. only called 2 today. one where i bought the bike and they directed me to call a suzuki dealer which i did, and they had nothin for me. then i just called lock smiths and got nowhere.

Lrrs/ccs expert #221

Would a good photocopy of the key be a good idea? Could you work from that?

Just wonderin'

1985 Cagiva 650 Alazzurra, 1992 VFR 750

Also, have you called a psychic? Couldn't hurt....

1985 Cagiva 650 Alazzurra, 1992 VFR 750

I hope you get this issued resolved. Man what were you doing with one key anyway? To get a spare key and have it cut only cost 2 to 4 bucks from a lock smith.

Lifer

This thread just reminded me that I only have one key for my DR650,...and that I had better get another made - ASAP!

That's the first thing I do whenever I get any new vehicle, even if it already has 2 keys. I get 1 or 2 spares made and use those - the originals sit in my house.

Anywho, at least for some makes, the VIN gets you nowhere - their dealers just don't have that info and can't look it up even if they wanted to. A dealer who keeps their customers' key codes is either very helpful or very suspicious. Kidding (sort of). Hopefully they keep it for the right reason. The two times I've bought a new bike the dealer handed me the keys and basically just said "don't lose this" about the key code tag (if they even mentioned it - luckily I knew what it was and jotted that number down in the manual).

Quote Originally Posted by k_cotter View Post
    sav i go with my father every year for fathers day, have for the last 9 years ive been riding on the street. this year is the first year my brother has a bike and the three of us have the chance to ride together. just something i look forward to every year, even more so this year. and like i stated...i have no friends
    damn man! id say come get my bike but you live in the other side of the world lol

Edit: in response to pk:

I've done keys based on photocopies before, it can be a trial an error thing depending on how many different depths there are per chamber, gotta take an educated guess, but once you are sure of the depth of the first one the others come quick. Could also use a micrometer I suppose.

Last edited by LaRNZ; 06-13-12 at 10:49 AM.

Clean it up really nice, park it on the street in a strategically picked location, and wait...

...Buy new bike!

Thanks sav! I can not find a locksmith anywhere near southern vt who can help to save my life

Lrrs/ccs expert #221

I think I might take my ignition off and go for a ride to see larnz. Not sure what else to do

Lrrs/ccs expert #221

Is the key just misplaced or dropped in a Porta Potty kinda lost? No chance of retracing your steps?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast