Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Help me choose a bike....

So the sun has set on my day with my DRZ 400 SM that many of you have seen and I am planning on parting ways with it.

I'd like to replace it and am trying to come up with a short list of replacements.

I dont want a sport bike - alright I kind of do lust after them but just too impractical for me if its not going to the track
    I have a big ADV/Touring bike (R 1200 GSA)
    I dont want anything that requires ANY working on so nothing older than new for the most part
    No track time expected on it.....

Most of the riding will be city and commuting to work 25-30 miles on mix of city and highway
    Some medium ride days like 100-150 miles. Doubtful for any 400 mile days like the old times and if I do I have my BMW for that.
    Posing
    Starbucks runs X 10

My GSA does everything pretty well and I don't NEED a second street bike but its not a fun bike in the city and in the summer I do like having a second bike up at my place in NH so I can drive up with my family and still get out for some riding while we are away.

On my list right now are

1. Hyper
    2. Street triple
    3. Always lusted after a speed triple but I'm thinking its too much bike for this type of use
    4. I love the idea and look of the new BMW R nineT but its got a very similar motor to my GSA and the BMW's are a bit finicky from my exp.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Re: Help me choose a bike....

How big are you?

I fell in love with the 690 duke at the NYC show. Little, light, simple, fun, and easy on the eyes.

At 5'8" the thing fit me like a glove.

If I was sending your money, that's what I'd buy today.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Im a bit bigger than that. 6'2 200.

Im sort of leaning away from a single because of the highway duty.......

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Lifer

Use the gsa on the highway. Get the smallest, lightest bike for a second toy.

The Honda CB1000R is a really nice bike. Great fit and finish, tons of useable torque, and not a stupid amount of power.

Besides that how about a Ducati Monster? Those make great city bikes.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Wow, this discussion seems all too familiar. I started the quest for a KTM Super Duke 990, which expired in the US in 2008, even though they were produced for other countries until 2013. The 990 is being replaced in 2014 by the new Super Duke 1290, at the low low price of $21k.

Anyway, I've been poking around for a bike that's comfy not he street, so that my compressed cervical disk doesn't get aggravated when iride, but can also tear up the track.

I happened on 3 today while cruising dealerships...

2013 KTM 990 SMT. This was my favorite of the 3, but he most expensive, with an MSRP of $13k. But it has a lot of stock goodies. Marchesini wheels, Brembo monos, and WP suspension. It needs nothing, but I'd love to hear more from people who have taken these to the track, since it seems more of an adventure bike, with its side bags.

2013 Honda CB1000R, as mentioned in the last post. Nice looks, comfortable neutral riding position and the smooth Honda 999cc inline 4. This one is $2500 less than the KTM, but if it's anything like my 07 CBR1000RR, it'll need suspension upgrades to be more track-worthy. Of course, you're not looking for a bike for the track. It will also need a windscreen, which Puig makes a nice one for it. I also like the single-sided swingarm.

2013 Ducati Monster 1100 Evo. This one has a price directly in the middle of the two above bikes. I didn't like it's riding position, as it's a little more aggressive than the other two. But it's far from the torture chamber that's most sportbikes. Ts bike has a ton of power and torque. I know, since I dueled it out with Jessie, from Seacoast, in a found rounds of racing with his.

All are great looking bikes.

Last edited by The Snowman; 01-18-14 at 10:34 PM.
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

I'm 6'2" 210ish lbs and I used to have a duke 690. It's got a ton of torque. It'll do highway speeds fine (tops out at about 95). It was a pretty fun bike to ride. I kept having electric throttle issues, though. The lc4 engine is pretty bullet proof. They've cheapened up the newer ones too.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

If your price conscious I'd look at the fz-09. For the money($8,000 brand new) its a poor mans 690/s3. Not at all as boring and heavy weight as the old fz6 or fz8.

I really want a duke 390 for commuting. Not the best bike for fast paced group rides or highway high speed runs, but it should be able to handle around 100mph and be super light and fun in tight corners and around town. Also killer fuel economy. I think it's coming to America this year.

A speed triple or other liter standard would be perfect for this kind of use as well. It's not about the outright acceleration or the fact that with riding position and torque you can wheelie it on command with ease. It's like having a big powerful Rolls Royce. There is no effort in smoothly accelerating. No need to down shift to get power or to rev up the engine and make noise. The thing will just smoothly rush forward at the slightest command of your right hand. It's much easier to ride and a more relaxed experience if you are riding responsibly. If on the other hand you have a need to feel like you are pushing the bike or get that racy feeling on your way to work, you will end up pushing it further and getting speeding tickets or worse.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

FZ09 seems like a real killer for the price. The reviews are great.

Ducati Streetfighter is great for posing and street rides. Inner city commuting wouldn't be one of it's specialties though. The next step up in that direction is the new 1290 Duke R

Everyone seems to love their street tripples, and the R model comes with nice goodies.

But for my money, if i had no plan on going offroad, I would go with a newer Multistrada. They ride like a lighter bikes, great for posing, and easy to ride slow for commuting.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    They ride like a lighter bikes, great for posing, and easy to ride slow for commuting.
    And they help you make great friends with your Ducati shop.

Last edited by nhbubba; 01-19-14 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    And they help you make great friends with your Ducati shop.
    Tell us more...

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Wirelessly posted

I love the multi but it's too much bike for this purpose and I have the BMW for long rides and trips.

I think more character.....I loved the old monsters. The new one hasn't don't it for me but maybe I need to give it a second look.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Hyper.

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    Hyper.
    , not crazy about the new ones, but I'm bias.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Tell us more...
    Your ugly duckling isn't what I'm on about. The new ones have more sensors than a space shuttle. That level of .. sophistication (read: complexity) .. is not what motorcycling is all about. If you ask me.

I think that the Itralian bikes are beautiful and wonderful to ride but like bubba said, they're maintenance whores.

If you want something utterly reliable you know the Japanese bike are where it's at.

Maybe a good happy medium is the Speed Triple.

I forgot about the fz09...I third that choice.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66

Eatibus almost anythingus Marc R's Avatar

I don't have much to add, but it's winter so I won't let that stop me...

1. An alternative to the Hyper is the KTM SMT that Snowman mentioned. Hyper suspension is not adjustable unless you get the Hyper SP.
    2. The alternative to the Street Tripple is the new Yamaha FZ09. FZ09 suspension is not adjustable and hope they got it right in the first year, then save yourself $2k. Aprilia Shiver might also be considered.
    3. Lots of alternatives to the speed tripple: Aprilia Tuono, BMW S1000R (not to be confused w/ S1000RR), Monster 1200, KTM Super Duke 1290, Kawasaki Ninja 1000

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

manny, im 6-2 240lbs and the 690 SM ive got gets me around pretty good just as an FYI

-if youre gonna throw down on a street 3 then spend the extra and get the R
    -the FZ9 looks like a killer bike for the price, but from what ive read, it falls into the SV650 category in terms of suspension. if that doesnt bother you then get it
    -ive always had a soft spot for monsters. you could probably find a decent used S4R
    -you could also do a KLR 650. lots of places to ride dirt roads up near sunapee and the KLR is more than capable on the street
    -FZ1 is another option. sporty, yet upright seating. plenty of juice to get you around
    -Tuono isnt a bad option either, although, i would would look for a V2 instead of a V4.
    -Busa

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    -Busa

Perfect bike for what he is looking for.

LRRS/CCS #66

Wirelessly posted

I feel like some of the naked bikes just lack a bit of character in the looks dept.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

I dunno...somebody had a shiver at the track this year, and I gotta say, it did it for me.
    Different strokes, eh.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

The new Hyper is a nice ride. I have the HyperStrada and love it. The new 821 motor is a gem, with valve maintenance now extended to 18K makes it less expensive to own. Good torque/power, light, comfortable, and just plain fun.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by No Quarter; 01-19-14 at 08:10 PM.
    2018 Aprilia Touno Factory
    2018 Ducati Desert Sled
    2017 Honda Grom (lot's of Mods)
    2016 KTM 300 XC-W, 2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

Eatibus almost anythingus Marc R's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    Wirelessly posted

I feel like some of the naked bikes just lack a bit of character in the looks dept.
    Can you name one liquid cooled naked that is without compromise for looks?

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)

Naked bikes lack character? But you want a hyper? I think nakeds are all character just because they aren't cookie cutter supersports

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast