Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Loud Pipes ?

hey if i lived in ri i would stick my night stick in your exhaust 7s

Originally posted by SEVENSGT
    in RI this season coming up if a cop can put his nightstick in your exhaust then it shouldn't have passed inspection, it's really fooking stupid cuse a nightstick will fit in an SV stock can almost half way, but waon't fit a VFR at all?????

Fuck em
    nice exhaust
    kabasa in the can

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Loud Pipes ?

I am all for getting those ridiculous V-twins off the road! Let's be honest guys there are noisy exhaust systems and then there are twins with straight pipes. There is absolutly no need for the straight piped Harley, or any othe twin for that matter, they are just annoying. Don't get me wrong I feel the same for some inline exhaust systems also, but they don't typically carry like the twins.

2001 Silver ZX-12R... RIP
    2005 KDX 200

Loud Pipes ?

Originally posted by bbhzx12
    There is absolutly no need for the straight piped Harley, or any othe twin for that matter, they are just annoying.
    Are you saying that any twin with straight pipes is annoying? or any twin with OR without straight pipes is annoying?

If you are suggesting the latter, I think a few people on this board (myself included) would have to strongly disagree with you. I agree that any bike with straight pipes is rather obnoxious, but a nice twin with some aftermarket cans sounds amazing, far superior in sound to that of a typical inline engine.

Last edited by Ducrappy; 02-24-05 at 09:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kham View Post
    you seem to be related to nikon. so fuckyou too! go suck a cock./1
    2012 R1200GS Rallye

Loud Pipes ?

Too many toys, not enough time.

Loud Pipes ?

Life is a challenge. You can take the risk and experience it, or sit back and watch it go by. I choose to experience it. (W.L.Heath)

Fear is the incubated subjective perception of the inevitable.

Loud Pipes ?

what does it matter if it's got straight pipes or not...... sure straight pipes are inherantly loud......but still doesn't mean they exceed the desible limit unless you have tested it.... for that matter who's to say a stock exaust is quiet without testing it......

we have a definitive test now,,,, why change it to something that is more discressionary and more potential for abuse

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

well

Originally posted by A996S
    Are you saying that any twin with straight pipes is annoying? or any twin is annoying with OR without straight pipes is annoying?

If you are suggesting the latter, I think a few people on this board (myself included) would have to strongly disagree with you. I agree that any bike with straight pipes is rather obnoxious, but a nice twin with some aftermarket cans sounds amazing, far superior in sound to that of a typical inline engine.
    i love the sound of my twin
    i also love the ratsy sound of my inline
    i always compaired it 2 a indy motor sound they spoool up so nice

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Loud Pipes ?

I am sure this is a Harley law

My exup makes her quiet as a kitten

The fix
    Just put a single 1/4 inch bolt across the inner core to prevent unwelcomed probe insertion. ANd insist that he buys you at least 1 drink

Have you noticed only one guy in all the biker build shows ever put anything like a muffler on any of those chopper bikes

"If I have loud pipes maybe you won't notice I am hung like a grape"

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Loud Pipes ?

Are you saying that any twin with straight pipes is annoying? or any twin with OR without straight pipes is annoying?

I have a feeling you missed the sarcasm in his post! Besides, it's common knowledge that an inline-4 with synthetic oil and frame sliders sounds better!

While I don't like the idea of taking away objective testing in favor of subjective testing, I'm not too concerned about this proposed law. If you drive in a downtown area with the engine bouncing off the revlimiter in first gear, you deserve everything thats coming to you. There is just no reason to do that. Go have fun and make noise in the sticks and it will be a non issue.

Loud Pipes ?

My personal opinion is that any twin with noisy pipes is annoying... however that isn't what I'm saying here. You all know the ridiculous bikes when you hear them, it's usually the guy that needs to redline 1st gear all the way through town at 2 in the morning, and of course while at stoplights too.
    I don't have a problem with any bike with an aftermarket exhaust that is noisy but reasonable, but straight pipes on bikes or cars for that matter are totally useless and are simply an annoyance. I feel they should have the police crack down on them, they are asking for it by bothering everyone in a 1/2 mile radius. You want some Yosh cans on your twin, great that's within reason, but you can't honestly tell me there is a ligitimate reasoning for some of these exhaust systems.

2001 Silver ZX-12R... RIP
    2005 KDX 200

Loud Pipes ?

oh shit the three s4r pimps are pissed. a twin with good pipes sounds just as good as a v4. almost tim your bike sounds great and sideshow i'm sure yours does too. now waynes reminds me of a gixxer. (ha beat you to it wayne!)

Loud Pipes ?

Hey my Termi's are loud, although I have no idea how many db's they are. If you don't get into it it'l keep quiet enough for the neighbors and all. The problem is that I can foresee an over zealous cop seizing the opportunity to hasle me.

To me keeping it quiet in town and populated area's is reasonable. Just let me open her up on the back roads!

M900ie
    SS750
    69 gas gusslin' Chevy
    LRRS EX #418

Loud Pipes ?

while riding with pinhead at the same speed and rpm's his duc and my hawk(hehe) resonated though the hills

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Loud Pipes ?

I love the sound of my pipes. The are the Ducati performance pipes made by Remus.
    I for one think that louder pipes do help. If they dont see me comming then they will hopfully hear me. It sounds silly but I have seen it work in my favor.

And the sound that is made by a bunch of twins together is simply music!

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Loud Pipes ?

Originally posted by PinHead

And the sound that is made by a bunch of twins together is simply music!

Life is a challenge. You can take the risk and experience it, or sit back and watch it go by. I choose to experience it. (W.L.Heath)

Loud Pipes ?

Originally posted by blackvfr
    oh shit the three s4r pimps are pissed. a twin with good pipes sounds just as good as a v4. almost tim your bike sounds great and sideshow i'm sure yours does too. now waynes reminds me of a gixxer. (ha beat you to it wayne!)
    A Gixxer?!!!!!!!

We'll see about that

Prick

Loud Pipes ?

As the population grows in the northeast and the chopper/HD/open pipe fad continues, eventually, something will come to a head. Frankly, if it shuts up the damn straight pipe HD crowd, I'll give up my pipe and go back to stock. I bought my bike to gooooo, not make noise.

By brother in law can't even start his HD in the driveway, for fear of angering his neighbors. So he angers people not in his neighborhood but has no clue what he's really doing, pissing off the non-riding, mostly voting, population.

One search for "loud pipes" in Google and there is a plethora of articles debunking the theory that "noise coming out the rear alerts peeps in front of you". While you may notify 2% of the population of your presence, you piss off 50% of the population because they don't ride and don't want to hear our bikes.

While I may alert 2% of the population, it's not worth pissing off the other 50%, IMO.

If you want to alert oncoming cars to your presence, turn on the highbeam, it's statistically proven to make you more visible, with no annoying noise.

NHTSA has all sorts of RAW DATA (Don't read reports, they're slanted by nature depending on the point they're trying to get across) in regard to accident causes. I think the most important reason is left turns in front of bikers, saying they didn't see you.

That said, it's a bogus law and it will be abused as we expect.

-Matt

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Loud Pipes ?

Originally posted by bbhzx12
    You want some Yosh cans on your twin, great that's within reason, but you can't honestly tell me there is a ligitimate reasoning for some of these exhaust systems.
    Hmmmm, I think you might be talking about the cans on my bike .......................

Personally, I ride a twin with an aftermarket exhaust on it and I think, with a nice exhaust, there is nothing that sounds better than a high performance twin under throttle. That being said, my plan for this winter was to repack the cans on my bike due to the fact that as they age, they are getting louder, to the point where at times they can be annoying. Of course my being out of town for work has put a damper on that plan.

But on the other hand, every year that I have gone to Daytona for Bike Week and been forced to listen to thousands and thousands of large displacement twins, with straight or even lightly baffled pipes, bounced off their 3000 rpm rev limiters by the geeky office worker, suddenly dressed like a rebel without a cause, that has to show the world, that the 80 horsepower shit box he is straddling is better than the thousands of other identical bikes on the strip at the same time. This type of activity I can definitely do without. Why the hell can't they just let the bike idle when they are warming it up or stopped at a light. Oh yeah, that's right, because they wont idle, my bad.

Continuing with this thought process, anyone see the irony in why men and women that are supposedly trying to look like rebels and dress so as to be different from society, all seem to dress exactly the same way, as well as ride bikes that are all so similar, which in turn makes them, once again, part of a large group of like people which is what they were trying to get away from in the frist place?

Back on topic, I do agree fully with Randy that the enforcement standard should not be modified to a judgement call on the part of the officer but I do feel that something needs to be done to police the idiots that insist on making so much noise when they ride.

L8R

Joel

Lifer

Loud Pipes ?

A ticket issued on an opinion leaves too much to subjectivity. Modify the standard and the test method, and base the pass/fail criterea on a hard number. If it means the cops sit on the side of the road with a dB meter running along side the radar gun, and any vehicle (not just bikes) that surpasses a given limit gets pulled over and re-tested to a standard stationary test so be it. At least this way it is to a hard number under a specified set of condidtions.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Loud Pipes ?

Originally posted by tls25rs

Back on topic, I do agree fully with Randy that the enforcement standard should not be modified to a judgement call on the part of the officer but I do feel that something needs to be done to police the idiots that insist on making so much noise when they ride.

L8R

Joel

It's actually rather easy......have he LEO's go after the inspection stations (hardley dealers) that put stickers on the forks of the offending bikes, with existing laws.... sure there will be a few that swap exausts for inspection.

maybe if the manufacturers put horns on bikes that you could hear and would last for more than 2 uses, a few more bikers wouldn't try making the "loud pipes saves lives arguement.... but I can understand it, beep your horn, then blip yor throttle.... which is louder.... I know in my bike, it's my exaust, and I have had to replace the thing every year for inspection.

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Loud Pipes ?

Is there anything in the laws that covers cars? I will be one of the offenders this spring with my car and just like my bike don't want to get tickets. I have a full exhaust system on my car but 3" dual exhaust through flowmasters and 11.75-1 compression makes for a LOUD car. It would be wrong to not get a ticket for my car yet get pulled over for my bikes (loud) exhaust.

Once again we are in control of the noise maker (throttle).

M900ie
    SS750
    69 gas gusslin' Chevy
    LRRS EX #418

Loud Pipes ?

i have fond memories of a buick grand sport with metal can exhaust

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Loud Pipes ?

my understanding is that if cars are not covered in this law, they will be targeted next.

again, the target is the ricers but muscle cars will technically be subjected to the same standard.

people are complaining about the noise. the current law is too difficult to enforce. the cops want a simple test. the answer that they are pushing for is the "night stick" test. if, in their opinion, you are making alot of noise. they will pull you over. slip their night stick in the exhaust, and if you have no baffles (meaning the stick passes right through to the exaust header or pipe) you will get a defective equipment ticket.

Loud Pipes ?

Newburyport recently had some problems enforcing noise laws and there was one particular "officer" who handed out tickets without proper procedure.

I think they were all tossed out in court as everyone banded together against the "dirty pig" and forced the town of Newburyport to enact bylaws and purchase db meters and test bikes ina prescribed manner. The rich snobs didn't like their seacoast town being infiltrated by RUBs with no exhaust and the "pig" was issuing tickets on parked motorcycles based on looks alone.

(Find a real crime to solve you donut-scarfing waste of sperm and town budgets)

There's strength in numbers and with Laconia coming, the THOUSANDS of riders that add a HUGE CHUNK of money to NH, could severly impact the state if they wanted to.

I'd bet that residents will deal with 1 week of noise since I think the rally provides MORE THAN 1/52 of the states income. You don't have to be too smart to see that stifiling that crew/rally, could have SERIOUS economic impact to NH. Residents need to know that....

Can anybody provide any real data (DB?) about sportbike average noise and HD average noise? My bike is loud, and an HD is loud, but HDs sound louder and since they're so different sounding, it's hard to tell.

-Matt

Loud Pipes ?

oK got the scoop from my dealer today when i picked my bike up.
    while motorcycle inspection stations don't need to get all the computer hadware yet, they do have to report inspections online immediatley ..... the state is going to be hard ass about noise levels, inspection stations are going to look hard at ALL aftermarket exaust, their fear is that you will get pulled over within a ½ mile of getting inspected, LEO's will have all inspection info available immediatly, who put the sticker on and the exact time they did it. inspection stations that get caught being to lenient will lose their inspection license

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast