Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Question for everyone?

Question for everyone?

Lets say for instance that you crashed your motrocycle either a street bike or a dirt bike, and you broke off some stuff that could be welded back together, would you get it welded or just replace it .
    Would you trust a welded rear set or be more comfortable with a brand new one
    assuming that welding it was cheaper , and more importantly accesable to you. Not saying that you owned the equipment but new someone that could do it for you.
    for instance clutch or brake levers, rear sets, tripple tree. sub frame. swing arm spools, stuff like that.
    Granted it wouldn't look like a brand new part but it would be rideable ,say on a race bike or dirt bike where looks don't really matter anyway.
    just wondering?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Question for everyone?

To me, it would depend on the replacement cost and the skill of the guy welding it.

If I broke a rearset, I would replace it.

If I cracked the frame, I would look for a quality welder.

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Question for everyone?

It would depend on the part and bike, street vs. dirt. Can't really narrow it down to a yes or no answer.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Question for everyone?

A bunch of the things that you mentioned can be replaced new for so cheep that trusting a welder is a moot point. Even the more expensive stuff can be e-bayed as a used (but undammage) item. I'd replace instead of repair I guess.

'05 DL1000k / '02 DR650se
    04 FXDXi (RIP)
    '04 SV650s(gone)
    '99 ZX-9r (squirl's new ride: RIP)
    2k1 GSXR750(stolen-RIP)
    2k3 KLX400sr(gone)

Question for everyone?

Let me guess, you went riding today and cracked up the WR again? Not leah's bike again?

Yamaha

Question for everyone?

Sean.. trust a weld if it is properly done, it is just as strong as the original part. I have a customised shifter on my SV for my big feet or rather big boots that I wear. I bought a brand new shifter, took it to a local fabricating shop, had them chop it in half and add 1.75 inches length, I keep the stock original shifter as a spare. I crashed the fiurst one I had made, it broke just like a stock one would, I have about 30k on the one I have now

Oh and looking at my shifter, you can't tell it has been welded, it looks exactly like a stock suzuki sportbike shifter (SV, GSXR etc all take same shifter) except a little longer

he he, I said longer

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Question for everyone?

Originally posted by RandyO
    he he, I said longer
    Randy, have you been drinking again?

Yamaha

Question for everyone?

Originally posted by R7
    Randy, have you been drinking again?
    no, just a slight case of cabin fever, it was mid teens when I went riding today and I think I got frostbite in head

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Question for everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Omahastylin16 View Post
    thats just one of the reasons why D is an example of the perfect woman rather than typical

Banned

Question for everyone?

I have swingarm spools, stator cover and headstock all re-welded on my racebike and trust all of the welds with my life. No problems so far.

It is hard to find a welder willing to weld aluminum and give you a guarantee.

derek

Question for everyone?

Welding aluminum these days isn't what it was just a few short years ago. The weld itself will be stronger than it was originally. However, the pieces immediately surrounding the weld can get brittle if the welder isn't experienced welding aluminum. The problem with some aluminum pieces are that they're too thin to weld. An inexperienced welder will keep burning right through it. I'd say if you can find someone who REALLY knows what they're doing, it shouldn't be a problem. Just make damn sure they know what they're doing...

Now SPILL IT! What'd you do?

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Question for everyone?

I've personally seen rearsets and levers brake again when welded. This was done by a very experienced welder. I just don't truct those items. On the other hand I have seen subframes last and as good as new...same with spools. I would not screw around with the triple....but that's just me. For the most part alot of those items are inexpensive or make good ebay finds.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Question for everyone?

What did I do? well nothing recently, I was just sitting around wondering. I figure that with all the parts that we snap off the dirt bikes I would get popular opinion on the subject.

I happen to work at a shop that has aluminum welders, that do good work. I just didn't know if people would trust a weld or rather a new part.

would you be more inclined to get the part welded in a pinch rather than new, if you would have to wait for the new part to come in off an order but the welding was easier to obtain.
    For me out here in the country is just as easy to bring the pieces to work with me rather than go to the dealer to see if it is in stock then, either order from them and wait then go back to pick it up, or order it on line pay shipping and wait for the part to come in.

I guess it comes down to the welder again huh?

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Question for everyone?

I would just tell Leah what he did, tell her your sorry and she will give you the money for the new part

Bob

2014 Can-Am Outlander 1000 MAX XT-P

Question for everyone?

I've only had welding done when replacement items were cost prohibitive, i.e., side cases, tabs on swingarms, steel frames on old bikes. Not something that would typically generate a lot of volume.

Sean, what about the restaurant up for sale down the road from you? Get it listed here and give Chooch's some competition.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Question for everyone?

Well here is a topic I can give some technical advice on. First off if it is an aluminum part you are welding, the heat generated by the weld in the area of the weld puts that area in what is called a solution annealed condition. In other words it has lost it's temper. In order for an aluminum weld to be consistant with the temper it was originally at (i.e. T6) the unit would be welded then the entire unit would be solution annealed then artifically aged to temper the whole unit back to it's original condition. If aluminum is welded and not brought through the proceedure mentioned above the welded area will be a weak point in the structure.

Solution anneal at about 825F for one to two hours at temp then cool to room temp. Artifically age at around 400F for 20 minutes to aquire a T6 temper condition if we are talking about 6061 aluminum.

If more info is needed I will be glad to provide it.

F-Nutz

Question for everyone?

Cracked engine case, repaired with JBweld, never leaked again