Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Luxo sport tourers

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Luxo sport tourers

What do we think of the bikes in this segment?

I test drove a 2016 FJR1300 last summer. It was epic. I really, really liked everything about that bike. Went like hell. Smooth as silk. Quiet. Agile(ish). Quality side cases that'll swallow a full-faced helmet. All the junk I want, not a lot I don't. The electronic cruise, heated grips and (power!) adjustable screen were real drivers. Loved the fit, finish. From the brakes to the throttle response to the switch gear. Juuuust the right amount of forward lean. Juuuust the right amount of weather protection. I likey.

Turns out that bike had "all-new-for-16" slipper clutch and 6-speed trans. The electronics came in '13 but it was a 5-speed with a normal every-day clutch until last year. Reports say the '16 improvements are all good, but maybe not game-changing.

Guys at work are all BMW-heads. Insist the R1200RT is where it's at. Looking at the specs, they may be onto something. It had the electronic goodies back as early as the late 2000's. I'm told the "hex-heads" of 2007-ish on are desirable. Also the "paralever" suspension. I've ridden RTs in the past and liked them well enough, but wasn't quite as impressed as I was with the FJR. And I'm very nervous of Euro bikes in general and BMWs in particular for the stories of broken drive shafts, crazy complicated electronics (CANBUS lights, WTF!) and overall expense. But you can get a 2008 era R1200RT for into the $6k ballpark. It had all the lux even that far back.

Kawasaki makes the Concours 14. But I feel it lacks features (namely cruise), feels heavier and taller. Overall less appealing.

Honda makes the Gold Wing and F6B, of course. Although I feel these are MUCH too heavy and actually provide too much weather protection for my tastes. Gosh, are those some well engineered machines though.

Do they still make the ST1300? Even if they don't, plenty of bargain priced used examples abound. As much as I like the V4 motor I worry about serviceability. I had a VFR750 for a while that scared the bejesuz out of me to work on. Just the thought of having to try to get to the carbs down in that V gave me shivers. Is the FI ST1300 a safe bet? Still no cruise though.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Re: Luxo sport tourers

Get that new 6cyl BMW bagger. 180hp, hotness.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2009 KTM 200 XC
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

ummm.... YES!

Seriously... you accurately summed up my thoughts on these bikes. Only thing I will say is I was looking at the ST1300 sized bikes and decided to take the new style Goldwing for a 2 hour - 2 up - test drive. Came back from that ride and the decision was made.

For me, I had a track bike and got all my speed thrills out there... so I was looking for comfort for 2 people, and storage. The fantastic handling (for a huge bike) was the icing on the cake.

If 2 up is not a consideration, then I would probably add a top case (or two... one on the passenger seat) to the FJR or ST's. For one person touring, either of those would make me happy.

In reality though... If I was to purchase something it would be one of the bigger ADV bikes. I realize fire roads would only be about 0.5 % of the mileage... but I like the looks and the straight up position... and the ability to ride them comfortably standing on the pegs.

0 Not allowed!
    Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

iTrader Score

looked long and hard all winter, then my wife kinda killed the buying a new bike thing with a vacation.

I was never a huge fan of the fjr, but the updates are nice, but in the end its still an old chassis.
    The c14 was the most Spartan of all the big boy tourers and for that I minds well keep my vfr1200 as its does the sport thing way better.
    The BMWs were crazy money even preowned. The R1200RT wasn't really my thing and id rather ride a R1200GS instead.
    The K1600 is an amazing motorcycle, but if I'm spending that much money i'll buy another car instead,

The triumph Trophy Se was the winner for me. Has all the lux stuff of the BMW, awesome triple motor and a radio with XM, electronic suspension as well.
    They can be had for a song and a dance also, It was kinda of an unloved bike,

Also really, really fell in love with the F6b. But I want a deluxe model after 2015 because it has the cruise control and heat grips all ready installed form the factory. But they are still pretty pricey

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by jhawley; 03-23-17 at 10:21 AM.
    '10 Honda VFR1200F also lives with a '08 Yamaha FZ6

iTrader Score

I had an 09 FJR for several years, did few one up trips on it.
    It is fast, deceivingly so. The bike sounds more like a turbine winding up than an engine. Mine was a 5-spd. Honestly that was a turn off when buying, but in reality that engine has so much torque 5 cogs are fine. This is a shaft drive bike, you will get a different feel on and off the throttle, can be annoying with the slight play there. I did add an extension on the upper triple plate to go 1" higher and back an 1". Made a big difference for me. Rear shock was not overly stiff enough for two up, I kept mine on two person all the time, especially when loaded for camping. I miss that bike, it was awesome. The thing that made me get it over the BMW was all the results from teh long ride time trials were won by FJR or Concours. The BMW reliability wasn't great then, not sure about now. Reason I didn't get a Concours was that it felt heavier (which it is) and a friend already had one. The Concours is faster in a straight line acceleration though from my experience. Then again I suck at riding. Bike also has a great charging capability.
    I wouldn't rule out the Gold Wing. They are land masses no doubt, but they carry their weight really well, and they pull like a freight train.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

In 2003 or so I rode an R1150RT ABS across Germany, France and Switzerland. When I first saw it at the rental place, I thought I'd hate it. Too big, too heavy, too.. German.

Turns out, it was fucking awesome. Enough power for 2-up touring, ABS, factory heated grips, factory power windscreen. I thought this shit was useless until I used it on a long trip.. and it was fucking awesome.

If you want to do long-distance riding, or long-distance two-up riding, this genre of bikes is great. I wouldn't want to commute to downtown Boston on one, though...

2 Not allowed!
    '00 Honda VFR 800, '01 Subaru Outback, '03 Porsche 911, '05 KTM 300 EXC, '08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S, '14 Honda CRF 250R

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore
    iTrader Score

Was just looking at some ST1300. I found a new (12) 1 mile for 12K. yes they still make em. not really a lot of changes over the years.

But honestly i loved riding a GS a little more than the ST. Decisions, decisions.

I'm probably in line with Tony's thinking.

0 Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Get that new 6cyl BMW bagger. 180hp, hotness.
    That's much too much in every respect for me. Too much power. Too much tech. And way too much bloody money!

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TTD View Post
    In reality though... If I was to purchase something it would be one of the bigger ADV bikes. I realize fire roads would only be about 0.5 % of the mileage... but I like the looks and the straight up position... and the ability to ride them comfortably standing on the pegs.
    My beef with the ADV machines is lack of luxo features. Namely power adjustable screens, electronic cruise, etc.

Some get near. I suppose there is the Tiger Explorer 1200. And it probably deserves mention here too. But most of the rest of the ADV offerings don't have any of the luxo bits built in.

Even the FJ09 doesn't get the goodies. The Super Tenere sure doesn't. I've ridden that and it is pretty spartan in comparison.

I agree with the 2-up and the GL1800. What a terrific machine. Just too much for me. I think the FJR may split the difference reasonably well. From the ~600lbs spec sheet I did not expect it to do so. These bikes all seem to carry their weight very well. And I love the long wheelbase out on the road.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    What do we think of the bikes in this segment?

I test drove a 2016 FJR1300 last summer. It was epic. I really, really liked everything about that bike. Went like hell. Smooth as silk. Quiet. Agile(ish). Quality side cases that'll swallow a full-faced helmet. All the junk I want, not a lot I don't. The electronic cruise, heated grips and (power!) adjustable screen were real drivers. Loved the fit, finish. From the brakes to the throttle response to the switch gear. Juuuust the right amount of forward lean. Juuuust the right amount of weather protection. I likey.

Turns out that bike had "all-new-for-16" slipper clutch and 6-speed trans. The electronics came in '13 but it was a 5-speed with a normal every-day clutch until last year. Reports say the '16 improvements are all good, but maybe not game-changing.

Guys at work are all BMW-heads. Insist the R1200RT is where it's at. Looking at the specs, they may be onto something. It had the electronic goodies back as early as the late 2000's. I'm told the "hex-heads" of 2007-ish on are desirable. Also the "paralever" suspension. I've ridden RTs in the past and liked them well enough, but wasn't quite as impressed as I was with the FJR. And I'm very nervous of Euro bikes in general and BMWs in particular for the stories of broken drive shafts, crazy complicated electronics (CANBUS lights, WTF!) and overall expense. But you can get a 2008 era R1200RT for into the $6k ballpark. It had all the lux even that far back.
    CANBUS lights would scare me, too. But I'd much, much rather troubleshoot complicated European bike electrics than complicated European car electrics..!

1 Not allowed!
    '00 Honda VFR 800, '01 Subaru Outback, '03 Porsche 911, '05 KTM 300 EXC, '08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S, '14 Honda CRF 250R

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

I think you'll be happy with the FJR.

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2009 KTM 200 XC
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Short summary: BMW, Honda, all others. But Yamaha has the highest finish %.
    Believe the Honda ST1300 is the single most popular model, but have no backup.

Iron Butt Rally results by motorcycle manufacturer (summary for all years)

Start Start | 1st Place Podium | Finish Finish DNF DNF
    Manufacturer Count Percent | Count Count | Count Percent Count Percent
    | |
    BMW 470 40.8% | 10 71 | 354 75.3% 116 24.7%
    Boss Hoss 1 0.1% | | 0.0% 1 100.0%
    Buell 3 0.3% | | 3 100.0% 0.0%
    Cagiva 2 0.2% | | 1 50.0% 1 50.0%
    Ducati 5 0.4% | | 4 80.0% 1 20.0%
    Harley-Davidson 58 5.0% | 3 | 39 67.2% 19 32.8%
    Honda 332 28.8% | 3 56 | 258 77.7% 74 22.3%
    Indian 4 0.3% | | 1 25.0% 3 75.0%
    Kawasaki 54 4.7% | 4 | 35 64.8% 19 35.2%
    Laverda 1 0.1% | 1 | 1 100.0% 0.0%
    Moto Guzzi 6 0.5% | 1 1 | 2 33.3% 4 66.7%
    Panzer 1 0.1% | | 0.0% 1 100.0%
    Suzuki 27 2.3% | 2 2 | 20 74.1% 7 25.9%
    Triumph 22 1.9% | 1 | 18 81.8% 4 18.2%
    Ural 1 0.1% | | 1 100.0% 0.0%
    Vespa 1 0.1% | | 1 100.0% 0.0%
    Victory 3 0.3% | | 3 100.0% 0.0%
    Yamaha 159 13.8% | 4 31 | 140 88.1% 19 11.9%
    Zundapp 1 0.1% | | 1 100.0% 0.0%
    (Missing data) 1 0.1% | | 0.0% 1 100.0%
    | |
    All 1,152 100.0% | 20 170 | 882 76.6% 270 23.4%
    IBR Facts

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 03-23-17 at 10:37 AM.
    WR250R | TW200 | Tiger 1050 ABS | CRF100F | R90/6

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    The BMWs were crazy money even preowned. The R1200RT wasn't really my thing and id rather ride a R1200GS instead.
    They kind of aren't. The "hex-hed" era 1200's can be had for $6-8k nowadays, even in GS trim. I have seen them out there. Guy at work bought one of 'em.

For my taste I actually think the RT wins out over the GS. What the GS gains in off-road prowess it gives up in luxo comfort bits. Although the GS actually has a longer wheelbase. (Feels the opposite to my butt.)
    I guess this is what the anti-ADV crows is always on about.

The triumph Trophy Se was the winner for me. Has all the lux stuff of the BMW, awesome triple motor and a radio with XM, electronic suspension as well.
    They can be had for a song and a dance also, It was kinda of an unloved bike,
    The triple motor has never done much for me. And I can't understand motorcycles with radios on them; this is a strike against the Gold Wing too. Why bother with helmet comms nowadays? Not like I'm ever going to be riding without a helmet.

XM?! LOL. People still pay for that?!

Also really, really fell in love with the F6b. But I want a deluxe model after 2015 because it has the cruise control and heat grips all ready installed form the factory. But they are still pretty pricey
    F6B is compelling. My beef with the GL1800 platform is that the rads over the engine mean lots of wind protection you can't remove even if you want to. Nice in the fall/spring, not so much in the summer. Just a bit too much.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Is the Multi on your radar? It is a twin, after all.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Turns out, it was fucking awesome. Enough power for 2-up touring, ABS, factory heated grips, factory power windscreen. I thought this shit was useless until I used it on a long trip.. and it was fucking awesome.

If you want to do long-distance riding, or long-distance two-up riding, this genre of bikes is great. I wouldn't want to commute to downtown Boston on one, though...
    That's actually how I felt borrowing a GL1800 for a weekend a couple summers ago. I set out on it repulsed, how could anyone ever enjoy such a behemoth!
    2-days later I was loving it. I totally get it.

Why do we think these luxo tourers are so bad in the city? They seem to be cop bikes the world over; RT, ST1300, even the FJR I believe.

God I love cop bikes.

Most say these big sport-tourers are still small enough to lane-split on.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Is the Multi on your radar? It is a twin, after all.
    Not really. I should ride one.
    Turnoffs are big $$$, no goodies (read: cruise), euro complexity.
    Will the luggage swallow a full-faced helmet?

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

You're welcome to ride my luxo sport adv bike if you're ever over this way. It ticks all the boxes you're looking for, except for price. But used ones are starting to dip into the $14-15k range, and with the new ones out this year I'm thinking will start dropping lower by fall.

1 Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2014 Honda Grom

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    You're welcome to ride my luxo sport adv bike if you're ever over this way. It ticks all the boxes you're looking for...
    Oh.. crap.. it does..

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Many of the guys on the New England Riders Facebook group ride ST1300's and love them, you might want to ask for more feedback on there about these big rigs.

One of the things that appeals to me most about motorcycling is the cheap thrills, lots of fun can be had for not a lot of money. MSRP on a new goldwing is like $26K! I'd rather have five $5k motorcycles for that. Shit the 6 bikes I've owned, purchase price has been a combined $12K.

Unless you're in love with the looks of factory luggage, just throw some Givi's on whatever you get. Most factory luggage is shaped for looks above functionality - and you currently ride a Strom. I love my givi top/side cases and can transfer them to any future bike.

and for that I minds well keep my vfr1200
    The expression is "I might as well".

0 Not allowed!
    Matt
    '07 Yamaha FZ6 - Street
    '01 Honda CBR600F4i - Track
    '98 Suzuki DR350SE - Miscellaneous

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Not really. I should ride one.
    Turnoffs are big $$$, no goodies (read: cruise), euro complexity.
    Will the luggage swallow a full-faced helmet?
    I have a Demo and New Ducati Multistrada models available here at Seacoast Sport Cycle in Derry NH.

Some features: 2015 and up Ducati Multistrada's all have Cruise Control, plus Ducati Variable Cam Timing for softer manners down low, Cornering ABS, 4 Riding Modes, Traction Control, etc etc. S model has Ducati Sky Hook Electronic Suspension, Touring Models includes Heated Grips, Center Stand and Side Panniers.

I have a 2016 Multistrada 1200 S Touring Demo available for sale, 600 miles on it. MSRP $ 21,494 Offered at $ 16,995

New 2016 New Multistrada 1200 Touring, Red Stk #006099 MSRP $ 19,295 Now just $ 14,995

"JUST IN From Ducati" 2014 Multistrada 1200S GranTourismo, Grey - brand new, no miles with 2 year warranty. The GT Package comes with oversized side panniers and top case, driving lights, crash bars, tourismo seat and slightly larger windshield. $ 13,995!

Home - Seacoast Sport Cycle sgreenwood AT seacoastsport.com

If you have any questions, send me a PM, email or stop in. Demo ride is ready to roll. -Scott

2 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Scottg22; 03-23-17 at 12:27 PM.

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Def check out the 1290 Super Adv.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2009 KTM 200 XC
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Alright. Eff sport touring hardware. Big ADVs rule all, it seems.

Wow.

I really didn't know either the 1290 SA or Multi 1200 had got cruise. That's excellent. I suddenly see a lot more value in both.

IIRC none of the top-dog Japanese ADV'ers get these kind of features.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Luxo sport tourers

Stop in and check out the Multi- I think you will like all they offer. All the bikes mentioned are great and have their strong points for sure. I sell Ducati and a lot of my customers are researching these bikes/brands compared to the Multi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

I think the multi is probably the best all around sport tourer ever built. and it has soul for days.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottg22 View Post
    Stop in and check out the Multi- I think you will like all they offer. All the bikes mentioned are great and have their strong points for sure. I sell Ducati and a lot of my customers are researching these bikes/brands compared to the Multi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You guys really need to start selling KTM. Please?

Free hot dogs AND all the drool worthy bikes? Bonus!

2 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2009 KTM 200 XC
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast