Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Luxo sport tourers

iTrader Score

Re: Luxo sport tourers

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    NH Craigslist
    $13k with all the luggage:
    Ducati Multistrada - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle automotive bike sale
    $12k with luggage:
    2012 Multistrada S Touring - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle automotive bike sale

Both under 10k miles. Both are not the Dad shoes which embody the FJR.
    Both are being sold because they spend more time I the shop than on the road

1 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

1 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM LRRS 560x retired, PSTR 317 B-vet, NETRA enduro B-vet

The Nebulas: surf. Instrumental, gnarly surf.

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Both are being sold because they spend more time I the shop than on the road
    Negative. Multis are bulletproof (as it goes these days) with loooong service intervals.

1 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Negative. Multis are bulletproof (as it goes these days) with loooong service intervals.
    Just let them continue negging, Paul. They're going to do it anyway.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Designing life since 1985 RyanNicholson's Avatar
    iTrader Score

After 2 years and about 12000 miles, my 2011 1200 S Tour hasn't really had any issues beyond regular maintenance or wear items. It currently needs a fork seal but that's to be expected, especially after a number of whoolies. The only thing I've run into is a fuel level sensor working intermittently for a while but that somehow sorted itself out and seems fine. Eric up at Clubhouse gave me a smokin deal on the 15k service early last winter as well.

My only complaint is not being very comfortable working on it myself. It takes like 4 hours to get at anything under the plastics and it seems like everything requires a special tool/wrench to adjust. Most things electrical need to be done by Ducati (from my research regarding the FLS).

I still get a hard on every time I ride the thing. Electric cruise and a power windscreen would be nice, but I can't bring myself to complain about that. Having top opening panniers instead of the half shells that open to the side would be nice as well, but they work just fine as is.

I also paid less than either of those listed on CL (and that was spring of 2015)... granted I got a decent discount at the time.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by RyanNicholson; 06-19-17 at 03:49 PM.

Great...I wear khakis pants and running shoes to work already...

I get the budget thing tho

0 Not allowed!
    FREE $15 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41

instagram/snapchat @cali2smoke

iTrader Score

I also just rode a leftover 1190 and 1290 adventure as well as a superduke GT. All were awesome, but I still keep thinking about the Multi... I wish I liked the new Tiger Explorer more, might have to change my avatar.

0 Not allowed!
    2008 Triumph Tiger 1050

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    My only complaint is not being very comfortable working on it myself. It takes like 4 hours to get at anything under the plastics and it seems like everything requires a special tool/wrench to adjust. Most things electrical need to be done by Ducati (from my research regarding the FLS).
    This is my concern with the BMW's as well. Possibly the KTMs too. The FJR may be boring, bland, and uncool. But I'm pretty confident I can work on most of it myself. The platforms been around long enough that there are plenty of parts and accessories available. It's just a motorcycle. Remote keyless entry and self shifting 'pro' transmissions are features I am not at all interested in. I'd like to skip the ES models and go with the regular ol' fashioned adjust-it-yerself suspension ideally. We'll see. Eventually slot a Penske in there and pull the forks apart.

FJR makes something like 140HP/100lbsft. It's pretty remarkable that a machine like that can be deemed a yawn these days.

The thing I'll miss is the bark of a v-twin. Think I'll keep the ol' SV handy to scratch that itch.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

My FJR had plenty of power, even when doing week long camping trips and loaded up heavy. It might not be enough for some, but if you really want that much more sport, the obviously the FJR isn't your bike. My two biggest complaints I had with the FJR was the heft, it will wear you down on a day of tight twisties. And the other was the transmission/drive shaft. The transmission felt rough when shifting compared to other bikes I've had and the little bit of slop in the drive shaft always bugged me a bit. Those were really nitpicky things, overall it was a great bike that always was inviting to ride far.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

iTrader Score

The KTMs are dead simple to work on. ~14 Torx bolts, all the same size, takes the entire front of the motorcycle down to the air box, including gas tank off (which have quick fuel shut-offs). No special tools required. They're made to be field serviceable.

0 Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2014 Honda Grom

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

I'm looking for something rock solid and comfortable on the highway, with a little bit of fun left over for the twists when I get there. Basically I'm just not quite ready to retire to a 'Wing or Road King.
    Interesting about the trans and final drive. I've asked and looked around and found very few complaining about the Yamaha shaft drive (FJR, S10, any of the cruiser lineup). Trans on the demo units I've tried were obviously butter smooth.

Most complaints I've read were weight, heat, and some ergonomic nits.

Weight is what it is for this class of uber tourer. The wing is just as bad or worse. Road bling is obviously way worse. The ADVs are lighter but offer so much less comfort and weather protection.
    Heat seems to be a thing for most of these liter+ bikes. I'm convinced its par for the course.
    Everyone insists the bike needs bar risers right away. I don't feel that way. Ergos felt very close to my DL650. And I liked the seat a lot.

Runner up would be a BMW R1x00RT something-something. Coworker is a giant RT fan and has had several. Right now he has a very well outfitted 1100RT. But the 1100RT lacks much of the luxo bits and is quite frankly a rather old platform. The 1150RT is better, but still quite old. Don't know if I'm comfortable with a ~15 year old bike as a daily rider. And the 1200RT is just so.. big! I know it has a lot more sport, but the newest RT feels very much like a Gold Wing to me. By the time they put electronic cruise on the R bikes they were also putting remote key fobs, excessively complicated electronic suspension, brakes, etc on as well. And radios. I don't want a fucking radio on my motorcycle thank you.

Wish I liked triples. The Triumph Tiger family appeals. The XRX and XCX Tiger 800's are stacked feature wise. Nice and light (comparatively) too. Price on some seems almost reasonable. But very poor weather protection and not quite enough comfort for my current goals.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 06-20-17 at 07:19 AM.

iTrader Score

Don't get me wrong, the trans and driveshaft aren't horrible by any means. IT took me a while to really start noticing things, and the bike was so smooth that very slight things were noticeable. I've talked to other owners at the time and most had the same feeling toward the transmission, again not bad, but a feel you pick up on after a while.

I did the riser plate mod and it made a big difference. It only lifted the bar mounting points up and back about 3/4" but what made the difference for me was you were able to turn the bars outward more to flatten them versus the sweep back.
    And they can pack up.
    Luxo sport tourers-p1020016-jpg

1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Could a mod please change the title of this thread to "Sorta Luxo Sport Tourers"?

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
    Could a mod please change the title of this thread to "Sorta Luxo Sport Tourers"?
    Or maybe budget sport tourers?

1 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

iTrader Score

Or just "bubba has the usual commitment issues".

2 Not allowed!
    2014 Honda Grom

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Or "regular motorcycles with big windshields and cruise".

- - - Updated - - -

Joking aside, I think the FJR is right for you.

So either get that or the KTM SuperAdv and be happy!

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2009 KTM 200 XC
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Any thoughts on where I could snake a few miles on a KTM SA?
    You know.. for science.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Or just "bubba has the usual commitment issues".
    Up-arrow.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2009 KTM 200 XC
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

iTrader Score

Just put fresh tires on it too. Come on up.

2 Not allowed!
    2014 Honda Grom

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Most complaints I've read were weight, heat, and some ergonomic nits.

Wish I liked triples. The Triumph Tiger family appeals. The XRX and XCX Tiger 800's are stacked feature wise. Nice and light (comparatively) too. Price on some seems almost reasonable. But very poor weather protection and not quite enough comfort for my current goals.
    I know you've tried the 800 (which I've never ridden) but my 1050 and previous 955 were real fun engines and I didn't find them buzzy or lacking in character at all. The Tiger 1050 is really tough to beat on versatility. It's pretty sporty without the bags and super comfortable over thousands of mile trips. Plus they can be had for cheap these days. The Multi and 1190/1290 have been the only bikes that check all my boxes and that I still enjoyed riding enough to tempt me away. I'd be happy to let you ride mine sometime.

0 Not allowed!
    2008 Triumph Tiger 1050

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Any thoughts on where I could snake a few miles on a KTM SA?
    You know.. for science.
    Wagner's in Worcester has a used one in right now they'll let you ride. I took it out last Sunday as well as an 1190 and Superduke GT.

1 Not allowed!
    2008 Triumph Tiger 1050