Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Luxo sport tourers

Re: Luxo sport tourers

That 2014 seems like a great deal

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I think the multi is probably the best all around sport tourer ever built. and it has soul for days.
    And weighs a shit ton less than the inline fours he's looking at...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    That 2014 seems like a great deal
    No cruise. The '16 for $1k more is worth it. (Yeah, I already thought that far ahead.)

How about the Super Tenere ES? It comes with all the electronic goodies, including CC. And can be had for relatively cheap.

2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

After the triumph fell through I was really close to pulling the trigger on a aprila caponard rally. new haven powersport had a leftover at for sale.

Ticked all my boxes,

cruise, E-suspension, factory luggage, and it was a twin!

The difference with the Ducati IMO is that their electronics systems actually ENHANCE performance. Every other package I have ridden with electronics, the nannies gut the bike right when you want it most. The Ducati TC for example will allow you to power drift and negotiate a sandy hill with killing drive or getting itself tied in knots. It was designed for performance, not insurance companies.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    The difference with the Ducati IMO is that their electronics systems actually ENHANCE performance. Every other package I have ridden with electronics, the nannies gut the bike right when you want it most. The Ducati TC for example will allow you to power drift and negotiate a sandy hill with killing drive or getting itself tied in knots. It was designed for performance, not insurance companies.
    That's exactly what my KTM does. "Offroad" MTC setting allows +50% rear wheel spin before traction control cuts in. Kicking the ass out in the dirt on the 1290SA only requires twisting the throttle. I'd never say it makes an amateur into an expert, but it sure as hell feels like it when the rear end is sideways through every turn.

2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

IMO KTM does a reasonable job here too. The 1190 ADV-R I tried was pretty stunning. I just never considered it a luxo-tourer. Looks like the 1290 SA is positioned to be that instead.

I wants a try.

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    How about the Super Tenere ES? It comes with all the electronic goodies, including CC. And can be had for relatively cheap.
    Did they put cruise on the Tenere? When I demo'ed it definitely did not have. Also was not impressive. Felt cheap, rough. The FJR would be my pick over the Tenere. It was way nicer in every respect.
    Maybe the 2nd gen Tenere is much mo' bettah? IIRC all the deals we saw were on 1st gens.
    Does the Tenere have factory bags? Looks like yes.. a dealer option. Not terribly attractive luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    IMO KTM does a reasonable job here too. The 1190 ADV-R I tried was pretty stunning. I just never considered it a luxo-tourer. Looks like the 1290 SA is positioned to be that instead.

I wants a try.

Did they put cruise on the Tenere? When I demo'ed it definitely did not have. Also was not impressive. Felt cheap, rough. The FJR would be my pick over the Tenere. It was way nicer in every respect.
    Maybe the 2nd gen Tenere is much mo' bettah? IIRC all the deals we saw were on 1st gens.
    Does the Tenere have factory bags? Looks like yes.. a dealer option. Not terribly attractive luggage.
    Both the base model and the ES in the 2nd gen have CC. The ES also has heated grips and electronic shocks, and a few other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

2nd gen S10 is way better than the 1st.
    revised clutch basket
    CC
    revised gauges
    And the availability of ES.

I think all you can really do is ride the lot of them, and see where you fit. I am evaluating sport-tourers, to find something that can carry me and my wife two-up in acceptable (for her) comfort, with acceptable (to me) nimbleness, for 4-500 miles a day. I'm really focusing on the two-up ability, since solo I'm good for 600 miles a day pretty easily on my Ducati M900 Monster, and have done 900 in a day on it a few times. That's good enough to get me anywhere by myself.

I do have quite a few to try out yet, but in general outline I'm finding that the ones about 500 lbs (e.g. MultiStrada, Ducati ST, Caponord, 1290 SuperDuke GT, Tiger 1050) are not quite comfy enough for her, and the luxo ones at about 700 lbs (e.g. K1600GT, ST1300, Concours, Trophy) or more (Gold Wing) are a tad too bulky for my comfort. Not that the latter can't hustle along a twisty road; any of them can make remarkable time. Especially the K1600GT, with which I was well impressed. But still, it just *felt* too big, especially two-up, where the total package, with a bit of luggage, might be pushing 1200 lbs or more. I've owned cars that didn't weigh that much.

Goldilocks says about 600 lbs is ju-u-u-ust right (e.g. R1200RT, VFR1200F, Moto Guzzi Norge, MOTUS, FJR1300, Triumph Sprint). I haven't tested them all, in any of the categories, and am open to trying as many as I can over the next couple of years.

I'm mostly focusing on the sport-touring configuration. I've tried some cruiser-based tourers, and am not wild about them, mostly due to weight and limited cornering clearance. I'm not much inclined to the adventure style, mostly due to height and aesthetics, although my list does include a few.

If money was no object, I'd have a MOTUS in the garage, and that would be that. But $30K to $40K, depending on options, is bit much for me right now. My current leading contender in the reasonably-priced category is the M-G Norge. But as I said, I do still have quite a few options left to test.

PhilB

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by PhilB; 03-23-17 at 02:51 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Of all those on the bottom half of that list the VFR1200 is going to be the powerhouse.

33K on mine with at least 1/3 of that 2-p with my old lady.

Despite being 592 lbs relly dosent feel that much heaver than my SV1000 once you get if off the side stand. I can throw my leathers on a still run down sport bikes, then slap the luggage on it and take the wife away for a weekend.
    Also not sure how big you and the wife are, (I'm 5 8 slim build and my wife is bigger than me) but the power of the v12 is the shit. loaded 2up I can still drop a gear on a back road and make a pass, on the open road it will easily pull to 130 with out a fuss but by then my wife is punching me in the kidneys.

I was looking for something bigger because I thought the wife would be happy, but she is plenty happy on the V12. For the sake of argument, If we swap bikes with any of my friends, the there is not enough room for the 2 of us.

Last edited by jhawley; 03-23-17 at 03:10 PM.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

If you are thinking about purchasing this for the reason I think you may be, have the passenger check out the passenger accommodations on the bikes that interest you as that may have some sway on the decision.

I have put some miles on a couple of the bikes you are talking about

FJR1300 took it to Nova Scotia for a week. It was a great bike for that trip. Sporty enough to have fun and yet comfortable for the slabbing that was done as well.

BMW GS rented one for a weekend in Germany and was less impressed than I thought I would be as I had always lusted after the GSA. Contrary to what I hear from a lot of people I thought the bike was bland. It did everything well but didn't seem to excel at anything which as a whole is pretty impressive just didn't tug at the heart strings the way I though it should for what they cost

Didn't put a lot of mileage on a Concours but the time I did have in the saddle made wish the rider cockpit was a bit larger. I realize I am a bit larger than you but figured I'd throw it out there. It did have grin inducing power as the owner of the R6 that tried to show me that his sportbike was faster than the sport tourer I was riding found out.

I have never ridden a Multistrada but they are definitely in my lust after category for this style of bike. Really wish I had scooped up Brian Cooner's old one when he moved to CA.

Joel

Sounds like a fat version of my ye olde ST3 from years gone by. It would do all of the above, but was a crap ton lighter and fun at the track too. (I still remember the first time my wife realized she saw '30'mph come up on the digital speedo for a second time... that was an interesting day.)

771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC

I had an 09 RT and rode the thing 969 miles in 15 hours. Then got up the next day and took it to work in Boston. It's a great bike but it lacks character. I never really bonded with the bike. It just seemed like a Burgman 1200 rather than a motorcycle. Jump forward 8 years and I now own a BMW K1600GTL. I can't believe how much I like that bike over the RT. It's the big 6 cylinder motor that works for me. It howls like a Porshe and feels like a bike that weighs in around 550lbs not 700. Handling is sublime. It feels like a sport tourer. It also fits me for all day comfort. Over this winter I put on just under 2000 miles. First day was 400 miles. I get on it and just go. I'm really impressed with the bike. I've ridden a lot of machines and this one has some staying power.

Wagner has a demo. I pulled into there in November out on my Tuono and joked to Jay Reynolds the sales man, "Got anything with heated grips?" He told me to park the Tuono and take the BMW K1600GT for the rest of the day. Never one to pass up an opp to ride a new bike I agreed. First impression that got me was how little flywheel effect the motor has. It revs in a unique manner. Then came the first corner. It tipped in with no effort and felt like a sport bike. I rode the thing the first day with a guy on an old Ducati SS and a guy with an ST. I was in comfort blasting around the back roads of western CT. It was easy speed. Now come middle of summer I will be pulling those side deflectors out and directing air into my lap. That is one thing I noticed on the RT was the lack of airflow from the excellent fairing. The K1600 comes with pretty good wind protection but those air deflectors that open up remind me of the triangle vent windows from cars in the 60's. I would recommend a demo ride on one. The new ones (17's) have auto blipper up and down shift assist and reverse. I don't need reverse but at some point I'm sure it would come in handy. The autoblip/quickshift is amazing. Once you have it you will never go back. Unfortunately I have the 16 without it. I did save over $5K from the list price of the bike so it was worth it getting the end of year discount on the 16.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Send cash... I need a track day

I got two of them
    a 2008 R1200RT with 10k from new and comes loaded
    a 2006 honda ST13400 with 22k on it
    both are for sale for very reasonable money.
    The 1200RT gets the nod from me in terms of comfort and electronics

eat me

I took my fjr13 to the Black Hills last year and was impressed how good a ride it was through the canyons. Amazing how many friends you have when they discover how much fits in the side cases. Heat from the bike wasn't a problem though I never stopped in traffic for too long. If

I recall I averaged mid to high 40 mpg. Highway milage was better so with 6+ gallons you can go a long way.
    I agree no motorcycle needs a radio. If you want one get a car.

The seat height is low but the seat was very wide. That made it impossible for me to push backwards if the bike was pointing even barely down hill. I'm sure it didn't help that I'm only 5'8".

Tried the FB6. Handled great once moving and pretty comfortable but missed the ergos of a sport / sport tour bike. Coundn't get past the weight. If I could have it all I'd ask for either a package like the FJR13 or FB6 but 3/4 scale. The yamaha could use the fj09 motor. The Honda could use the vfr800 motor. Give either of them another gear. Perfect.

Think I just described an old Honda ST.

Last edited by 02redhawk; 03-23-17 at 08:11 PM.

Keep in mind that at some point in the future she may speak to my spouse and compare 2up comfort.

Which bike can she sleep on the back of?

Quote Originally Posted by 02redhawk View Post
    I took my fjr13 to the Black Hills last year and was impressed how good a ride it was through the canyons. Amazing how many friends you have when they discover how much fits in the side cases. Heat from the bike wasn't a problem though I never stopped in traffic for too long. If

I recall I averaged mid to high 40 mpg. Highway milage was better so with 6+ gallons you can go a long way.
    I agree no motorcycle needs a radio. If you want one get a car.

The seat height is low but the seat was very wide. That made it impossible for me to push backwards if the bike was pointing even barely down hill. I'm sure it didn't help that I'm only 5'8".

Tried the FB6. Handled great once moving and pretty comfortable but missed the ergos of a sport / sport tour bike. Coundn't get past the weight. If I could have it all I'd ask for either a package like the FJR13 or FB6 but 3/4 scale. The yamaha could use the fj09 motor. The Honda could use the vfr800 motor. Give either of them another gear. Perfect.

Think I just described an old Honda ST.
    I rode an ST1300 (I can dig up the year of the bike) across Scandinavia and liked it. Despite being a Honda fanboy, I thought the BMW R1150RT was better in every single aspect.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

hm

so the strada can do it all, and it has soul?

these threads keep increasing my bike budget

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    If you are thinking about purchasing this for the reason I think you may be, have the passenger check out the passenger accommodations on the bikes that interest you as that may have some sway on the decision.
    That's a given.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Keep in mind that at some point in the future she may speak to my spouse and compare 2up comfort.

Which bike can she sleep on the back of?

The appeal started almost 2 summers ago. That was the summer I borrowed GL1800 'Wing and a Harley Road King. Possibly before that when I was touring in California and kept running into big touring bikes at every stop. But riding these beasts reminds you how incredible they are at eating miles. They really do own the roads. Creature comforts like electronic cruise, adjustable ergonomics, and integrated goodies like heated grips really do make life just that much nicer. I get it.

Harley just sucks at the bang/buck ratio. And then there's the image. I can probably get past it, but not sure. Love the air-cooled simplicity though. Stark contrast between it and the 'wing; two machines that do very similar things with totally different approaches.

The 'wing is so beautifully executed. Cannot believe and 800 (900?) lbs monster like that is as easy to pilot as it is. Point and chute handling, power. Superb ergonomics. Just too much for me.

Looks like bubba needs to test drive a 1290 SA and a Multistrada. Maybe they split the difference here.

Hope to be @ Seacoast helmet shopping sometime this spring anyway.