Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Luxo sport tourers

Re: Luxo sport tourers

My buddy don out in California has a pikes peak edition multi with 50k on it. I consulted him before I bought this on. He said he has just done regular maintenance and just recently did new fluid in the forks. Jusy my .02

That said, my wife absolutely loves her bmw. She has the f700gs ,probably not what you want. But she justnloves the brand as a whole.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by theducman; 03-24-17 at 06:43 AM.
    Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Honda
    LRRS AM# 772
    Boston Tier 1 Racing
    Yoshimura / Lucas Oil / DP Brakes / AXO America / Vortex Racing/ Woodcraft/ Racer Gloves

Some of the early Multis with the electronic suspension would have issues. I am not sure how the newer ones are. I believe they changed suppliers since then. Euro problems>Japanese problems Euro soul>Japanese soul Add your own weighting for conclusions.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    This comes to mind partly because I ran into TLR-Man at a bike night last summer. He'd dumped his Triumph-which he'd also had epic problems with-and bought a new FJR. Claimed the FJR was gas 'n go, even with the goodies sprinkled on top. I also watched a Tiger Explorer 1200 eat a valve one day.
    I tooled around on Marks FJR and was really impressed. not being a Yamaha fan has made me consider this one.

My wants
    2 up long distance. Yes i am thinking of Kate's Comfort even thought she is a trooper and had ridden long distances on my 929.
    Probably adjustable suspension although i'm not a fan of crazy electronics it is pretty appealing to push a button and wa-la.
    thinking 95%5% road (maybe a TD or two)/dirt. yea yea every bike can handle this.
    narrowish (city/highway traffic commuting)
    ability to stretch. stand up while riding w/out getting wind blasted. also nice when in traffic
    Bags
    multi plug. high 12v output for plug in heat (Winter Riding)
    VERY Low maintenance. Not that i can't do it its just nice to run without knowing i'm not going to be sidelined and $ poor
    cockpit wind protection but an allow good cooling and the wind in you face. Probably adjustable shield.
    hand wind protection (Winter again)
    dare i say it. maybe even a trailer hitch

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Harley just sucks at the bang/buck ratio.
    For a new one, maybe...but there are tons and tons of used Road Kings out there with 10,000 miles or less for $8500 that you could ride for five years and then sell for a mere couple grand less than you paid. Or not, I'm never selling mine.

This used availability is a relatively recent phenomenon...I finally ended up buying mine new in 2005 after searching for a long time for a used one but getting tired of people asking new prices or even more (with mods) for used ones. Now, the market is flooded and good used ones are everywhere. Parts are plentiful, good dealer network while traveling, and so many yuppies have bought them over the years that I don't think you have to worry that anyone, including 1%ers, are going to think you are trying to look like a 1%er.

Let me also say that the service intervals with the 1290SA are pretty phenomenal for this 160HP monster of an engine. 9k mile oil changes, 18k mile valve checks. It's not all that far behind the class leader S10 with 24k mile valve checks.

It's also pretty nice that KTM OEM parts are, although very oddly priced, for the majority unusually cheap. I cracked my windscreen when I dropped my bike in a mud puddle, replacement was $50. I was looking at adding an aux power socket to my top case, the same as what I have in my dash, OEM replacement is $11. I say they're oddly priced because replacement for a 1290SA front fender is $150, while replacement for a 1190R front fender is $50. Order that same 1290SA fender from overseas and it's 40 euros. Strange pricing, but on average pretty reasonable for such a quirky brand.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

If I were single I would probably have the multi. Its an amazing machine, but the seat/cockpit area is too small for the wife and I, where as she is on the back and I'm smashed up against the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    For a new one, maybe...but there are tons and tons of used Road Kings out there with 10,000 miles or less for $8500 that you could ride for five years and then sell for a mere couple grand less than you paid.
    Of the Road Kings advertised on CL in my area exactly one listed for $8500 or less has less than 10k miles. And it is 17 years old!
    None of the listings for $10k or less are even the newer chassis ('09+). Limiting to a 103 twin-cam (more desirable in my eye) drives things up even more.
    And naturally I want a Rushmore bike (14+). The little upgrades really are tities.

Not that I think 10k miles is a big deal for those machines. Just pointing out that the newer hardware that'd I be after is still pricey. Has to be expected when the starting MSRP is like $18k.
    I simply think a current, desirable, gen III FJR can be had for less than a current RK. And if the FJ is good 'nuf (subjective) then that makes it better bang/buck.

Last edited by nhbubba; 03-24-17 at 09:19 AM.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    I tooled around on Marks FJR and was really impressed. not being a Yamaha fan has made me consider this one.

My wants
    2 up long distance. Yes i am thinking of Kate's Comfort even thought she is a trooper and had ridden long distances on my 929.
    Probably adjustable suspension although i'm not a fan of crazy electronics it is pretty appealing to push a button and wa-la.
    thinking 95%5% road (maybe a TD or two)/dirt. yea yea every bike can handle this.
    narrowish (city/highway traffic commuting)
    ability to stretch. stand up while riding w/out getting wind blasted. also nice when in traffic
    Bags
    multi plug. high 12v output for plug in heat (Winter Riding)
    VERY Low maintenance. Not that i can't do it its just nice to run without knowing i'm not going to be sidelined and $ poor
    cockpit wind protection but an allow good cooling and the wind in you face. Probably adjustable shield.
    hand wind protection (Winter again)
    dare i say it. maybe even a trailer hitch
    Africa Twin with some suspension attention and a bigger screen?

All the other bikes mentioned lately are downright huge in comparison....

CCS/LRRS #83

For a used one at 1/3 the price of a new Harley, you won't be getting the newest hardware, but it'll be a damn good touring machine that you don't have to feel one iota of buyers remorse about. Look for Pre-2006ish (I think?) before the additional top gear was added...they will be out there if you look. Maybe mid March isn't the ideal time. And let's call it 10,000; I've seen em for 8500, but not everyday there captain literal. When you own one that has depreciated that much, you notice the pricing trends. People ask 12 and really want 10; some will take less, and lots of these bikes are ridiculously mint, because of the whole polish it more than you ride it crew (of which I'm certainly not a member...5Toez, who keeps his bikes immaculate, almost puked when he saw my bike when we ran into each other out riding last summer haha). The people who have enough cash to have already let them sit in their garage for 12 years aren't necessarily desperate sellers; these bikes come up for sale when the owners move, get divorced, pass away, or stumble upon something they want more.

You're a logical person; do the differences between a 2004 Road King and a 2017 model justify 2-3x the cost and more like 7 times the likely depreciation over the first 5 years of ownership? The old one ain't bad and the new one ain't even close to the forefront of tech, anyway.

I've said it before, Harley's aren't for everyone, but I like mine even though I own and enjoy other bikes that have better performance for different types of riding...and when they are available with low downside financially, personally I'd give up getting the latest and greatest gizmos and gimmicks to keep the extra ten or fifteen grand in the bank. Whenever I'm going to be in the saddle for more than about four hours straight, I don't even LOOK at any other bike in my garage...even if the destination is North Carolina perfect pavement. Svracer was the guy who recommended I take the road King when I was planning my solo gap trip, and he was SO right. I'd still like to trailer my sv down there someday, but I'd take the Harley thru there again if I had the chance, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Africa Twin with some suspension attention and a bigger screen?

All the other bikes mentioned lately are downright huge in comparison....
    I know! one of the biggest benefit that I see that really checks the narrow box is the AT.

Gino
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

I like the price point too. Let's you farkle it up with what YOU want.

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by 02redhawk View Post
    If I could have it all I'd ask for either a package like the FJR13 or FB6 but 3/4 scale. The yamaha could use the fj09 motor. The Honda could use the vfr800 motor. Give either of them another gear. Perfect.
    Sign me up for one of these as well. Honda made the NT700V "Deauville" for a long time, brought it here in 2010 I think. It's a 680CC shaft drive v-twin sport-tourer. Saw/sat on one for the first time at a dealer in OH last week. Wide/flat comfy seat and integrated (though non-removable) side cases. It was nicknamed the "Dullville" - the VFR800 motor probably would've made it a winner. THe one thing I noticed that would be a problem 2-up, there's not a lot of passenger foot room if the rider is riding with balls of feet on the pegs.

-Matt

Did a few thousand miles on a Deauville from London to Paris and back and everywhere I between. Fun bike, but tops out around 110 or so.... Luxo sport tourers

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    You're a logical person; do the differences between a 2004 Road King and a 2017 model justify 2-3x the cost and more like 7 times the likely depreciation over the first 5 years of ownership? The old one ain't bad and the new one ain't even close to the forefront of tech, anyway.
    I've given the Road King a lot of thought. Guy in my circle has been through a couple RKs and my father had an FLHS back in the day. Also spent a ton of time at the HD tent last year at bike week. I'm pretty familiar with-and a large fan of-the model. I think it is by far and away the best thing HD makes.

If I already had something like this in my garage the math would look entirely different. But without, yeah, I'd hold out for something newer and be ready to spend for it. Minimum viable for me would be MY2009 or newer for the chassis alone. I would not consider a pre-06 on account of the 2-part motor/trans. The 6-speed is epic on the highway. My strong preference would be for a newer twin-cam, ie a 103. Although my RK guy insists the 96 problems you read of are blown out of proportion. I'd insist on one fitted with electronic cruise; testing this feature on the GL1800, FJR and newer RK has me sold. And I'd stay away from the 'classic' models with wire wheels and leather look cases; plastic cases and alloy wheels for me, please. I've seen the rushmore treatment models (14+) next to the non and there are a lot of subtle yet very nice upgrades. Little things like how the cases work. Mandatory? Maybe not. But super desirable.

Depreciation is not much of a worry for me with how long I keep machines. I tend to do it once and am willing to pay in the interest of getting it right.

Road King is still in the realm of possibility for me. A lot of it depends on what my passenger likes. But I could handle owning and daily riding a Road King no problem. But no, the $8500 examples probably would not do for what I want. I'd feel compelled to spend more for something newer. YMMV, as always.

Did a few thousand miles on a Deauville from London to Paris and back and everywhere I between. Fun bike, but tops out around 110 or so.... Luxo sport tourers
    Really? I hate almost everything about that bike. I consider it an example of Honda gone wrong. Up there with the NC700x.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Short summary: BMW, Honda, all others. But Yamaha has the highest finish %.
    Believe the Honda ST1300 is the single most popular model, but have no backup.

IBR Facts
    IBR is not really comparable to recreational touring, guys that win or even finish, don't get lost or show up at checkpoints late while trying to accumulate points, they don't run out of gas, IB participants modify the bikes with multiple GPSs auxiliary fuel tanks, ability to go 11,000+ miles on 1 rear tire, etc.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

lol REMEMBER!

2002 sport tourers top 10

Gino

Really? I hate almost everything about that bike. I consider it an example of Honda gone wrong. Up there with the NC700x.
    Ha no it was a POS. But our trip was fun. It was reliable though, as a Honda would do. And survived being attacked by one of those stupid BMW scooters with a roof on it in Paris...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

Ha no it was a POS. But our trip was fun. It was reliable though, as a Honda would do. And survived being attacked by one of those stupid BMW scooters with a roof on it in Paris...
    It's probably the perfect bike for dispatch riders, to beat to death as a replacement for the Maggot (Honda CX500) they've already beaten to death. For riders riding because they like to ride, not so much.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Yeah or in this case London Sportbike Rentals.... She had loads of miles but never missed a beat. Just slow, cranky brakes and awful suspension.

CCS/LRRS #83

Wait, how is a wee that much better than a nc700x?
    Real question. I can't explain it, but I like the nc.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I just sat on a 1290 SD GT. THis has to be in the running for sporty tourer. THe ONLY flaw I saw was the saddlebags can't fit a helmet. Major oversight. Hell, my hyper bags swallow a helmet no prob

Paul_E_D

thats what top cases are for.
    the problem with the ducky bags was their irregular shape which didn't lend itself to using as anchorage for other stuff, not like a square case does.
    you know, from my seat and stuff.
    I know there are times when you'd rather do without the top case, so I see your point entirely.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Wait, how is a wee that much better than a nc700x?
    Real question. I can't explain it, but I like the nc.
    Yuk. Compared to the wee it makes less power, weighs about the same, feels cheaper (switchgear, instruments, etc) and really, a single front brake on a street bike in 2017. Nope. Nope.

Honda can do better. They should have done better.

Wee >> NC700

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    It's probably the perfect bike for dispatch riders, to beat to death as a replacement for the Maggot (Honda CX500) they've already beaten to death. For riders riding because they like to ride, not so much.

PhilB
    I did 47 thousand on my cx500 in one year as a dispatch rider in dublin.
    great little bike

eat me