Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Luxo sport tourers

Re: Luxo sport tourers

My wife had an nc700x before she bought her bmw. The only reason she got it was because she could touch on it. Being 5'3 and wanting a tourer didn't leave many options. She said it was ok, but the braking system was awful. Only one rotor.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Honda
    LRRS AM# 772
    Boston Tier 1 Racing
    Yoshimura / Lucas Oil / DP Brakes / AXO America / Vortex Racing/ Woodcraft/ Racer Gloves

Here's one Colin: yeah soft bags, chrome, not the latest...but 6500=Very cheap long term rental

2004 Harley Davidson Road King

Or an ultra for 8500
    Harley Davidson

Another for 8900
    2004 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Imbeek; 03-28-17 at 09:06 AM.

Once you're into that kind of $, these seem like better value. I believe the new chassis really is worth it:

2010 road king
    2009 Harley Davidson Road king

Naturally, we went and sat on this this weekend and liked it. Not much not to like, except the price.

2014 Harley-Davidson FLHR ROAD KING, SERVICED WITH WARRANTY

Oh.. hello. 2016 Harley Davidson FLHR Road King $12900

All said and done I think we may end up going the jwm2k3 technique; renting for the 1-2x a year I think we may actually have time to use such a thing.

That 2016 looks interesting. Dude rode the hell out of it!

Those aren't sport tourers, BUT That Hadley one is right near me.

Paul_E_D

Some people do you ride Harleys quite a bit. This was my dads before he replaced it with a Beemer.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Those aren't sport tourers, BUT That Hadley one is right near me.
    'tis true. This thread went sideways.

My takeaway is that the traditional sport tourer is a dying breed. The more nimble options are now nearly obsolete thanks to lighter and just as fully featured big ADV styled options. And if you really want a heavy tourer you should just go for a real heavy tourer.. like the HD RK.

Again. I traded my 15 HD RK for my BMW K!600GTL. I loved the style of the HD but if you want to ride all day long and not feel beat up by vibration and pot holes you may want to look elsewhere.

Send cash... I need a track day

Nice lookin Harley! Looks/sounds like you would've liked a bit more foam in the seat, though?

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Nice lookin Harley! Looks/sounds like you would've liked a bit more foam in the seat, though?
    I actually did long rides with the Harley Hammock seat. It has a built in sling to absorb about an inch of travel. It works great but the bike is really about blvd cruising and not touring in all day comfort. I thought it was just me getting old. That I was feeling the aches and pains of riding all day with 2 inches of rear wheel travel. I just felt wiped out riding the Harley. The BMW I feel fresh after an all day, 400+ mile, back road ride. I think I enjoy riding a comfortable sport bike and not a modern interpretation of an antique motorcycle. I do have a Harley still. But its the Lowrider S. I tend to ride in a non Harley manner.

Photo a screen shot from a friends video cam on his phone

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

That's a Road King? Doesn't look anything like the models I've ridden, poked, or shopped.
    That looks like a heavily modified something-something glide. (Road Glide, I think.)
    Maybe it doesn't matter. But I found the RK I did sample all-day rideable. Suspension was a bit soft and kind of vague in the corners.. but definitely all-day ridable even across chop. On pot-holes I'd rather have my ADV thingamabob. But then I felt the same way about the GL1800 too. On stretches of highway the heavy tourers ruled though.

This is what I picture when I talk about the Road King.

Yes, classics styling. But modern brakes. Modern amenities. More than enough power. And very, very functional. They've thought these things out well!

Last edited by nhbubba; 03-29-17 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    'tis true. This thread went sideways.

My takeaway is that the traditional sport tourer is a dying breed. The more nimble options are now nearly obsolete thanks to lighter and just as fully featured big ADV styled options. And if you really want a heavy tourer you should just go for a real heavy tourer.. like the HD RK.
    I'm not sure I agree with that. Especially if you are willing to consider used bikes. It depends on how much sport you are willing to allow/consider (e.g. Hayabusa with bags) and how much tour (e.g. ST1300 or Concours 1400), but there are several choices between the Panigale and the Gold Wing.

My testlist includes: Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Caponord, BMW F800ST, BMW R1200RT, BMW K1300S, BMW K1300GT, BMW K1600GT, Ducati MS1200S, Ducati HM939 HyperStrada, the new Ducati 939 SuperSport with the tour package, Ducati ST3 or ST4s, Honda VFR800, Honda VFR1200F, Honda ST1100 or ST1300, Kawasaki Ninja 1000, Kawasaki ZX-14, Kawasaki Concours, KTM SD1290 GT, Moto Guzzi Norge, MOTUS MST, Suzuki Hayabusa, Yamaha FJR1300, Triumph Sprint GT, Triumph Tiger 1050, and Triumph Trophy. I've testridden about half of those so far.

That's quite a few valid options, without even looking at adventure bikes much (the MultiStrada and Tiger 1050 are adventure-ish, but really are road bikes), cruiser-tourers, big-standards-you-could-put-luggage-on (e.g. FZ1, Z1000, CB1000R, GSX-S 1000, B-King), or older bikes (e.g. ZX-10, ZX-11, Honda Blackbird or CBR1000, FJ1100 or FJ1200, Bandit 1200, airhead BMWs, various Guzzis, etc.). Not to mention smaller bikes; the smallest I have on my list are a couple 800s, but if you're willing to consider smaller, there are good options like the Suzuki Burgman 650, Honda Silver Wing, and the like.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 03-29-17 at 11:48 AM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Toss the Ninja 1000 on that list, especially if you're considering bikes like the ZX-14, Hayabusa and VFR. Oh and the FJ-09 and Versys.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 03-29-17 at 11:34 AM.
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    ..good options like the Suzuki Burgman 650, Honda Silver Wing, and the like.
    If you were ever curious where you and I felt differently about what makes a "good option", look no further than this.

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Toss the Ninja 1000 on that list, especially if you're considering bikes like the ZX-14, Hayabusa and VFR. Oh and the FJ-09 and Versys.
    The BMW S 1000 XR is slotted under the Adventure category and the bike dimensional specs seem to be very close to the FJ-09. I had about 30 min demo ride on the XR and IMO the bike is amazing (if you ignore hand numbing vibrations - I hear the issue is resolved in 2017, or might go away after the break-in). If FJ-09 and S1000XR somewhat similar then ~$6000 price difference is hard to overlook.

If you were ever curious where you and I felt differently about what makes a "good option", look no further than this.
    Well ... *functionally* good options. You'll note those aren't on my test list. But in terms of what the bike can do, compared to what a touring bike needs to be able to do, those are in fact remarkably good and capable machines for the tasks in question.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

^ Ah yes Road King not Road Glide. Yes the RK is a bit lighter on the front end and I had a 2000 RK that I put 30K miles on it in two years. The floor boards were sharpened to razors from scraping the asphalt in corners. I actually agree that it's a sporty touring Harley. I remember doing a Ducati ride with CDROM group up around Stratton on it. I stuck with the leader and the Duc's riders were back a ways.

I have ridden the Aprilia Futura and it is a great sport touring bike if you can find one. What is interesting is how much the new K1600 reminded me of the look of the Futura. OK OK I'll stop talking about the K1600. LOL

ADV bikes vs Sport Touring bikes...

I like the IDEA of ADV bikes and had a Triumph 800XC for a couple years. I did two Berkshire big bike rides with it and did the Big Bike Adventure Ride hero sections. I really abused the hell out of that bike for two years. A couple things I didn't like about the ADV genre.

They aren't much better than a naked bike on the highway. You tend to catch wind in your solders and get blown about a bit more than I thought. The Triumph 800XC seemed to be affected by the wind a lot. In 30+ years of riding I never had the wind gust bother me. I actually got off the Pike one day due to its instability with wind gusts. This did have after market bags, wind shield and TKC's on the bike so the may have altered the ride to the point of instability. I've ridden last years KTM 1190 and was impressed with its highway road holding ability but I know I will never take that thing in the woods or ride the Alcan Highway. So I might as well get a bike made for the street and just the street.

Also I want to carry a passenger and I want her to be happy and make me happy.

Anyone see this Journalist ride with the new KTM Super ADV R

And the Harley Road King suspension can be fixed. I had mine transformed by Traxxion Dynamics. Though stock it rides like a coal car.
    The King is a great bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco61 View Post
    And the Harley Road King suspension can be fixed. I had mine transformed by Traxxion Dynamics.
    How?

Thanks. Not trying to derail the thread, but I've been trying to set aside cash to just do emulators on the road King forks

Looks like it's about $1k per end..
    Looks like emulators are the standard ~$300 or so including springs and fresh oil.

I should coax my RK guy into installing emulators..

I'd rather coax you into a burgman for 2up touring.
    Lulz abound.

Edit: I'm sure it's a fine and capable machine by most standards, but it doesn't make it less funny.
    And yes, I absolutely love bombing around on the vino.

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 03-30-17 at 06:26 AM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Looks like it's about $1k per end..
    Looks like emulators are the standard ~$300 or so including springs and fresh oil.

I should coax my RK guy into installing emulators..

I spent the money on the AK-20's for the front end. But after talking to Traxxion he recommended these- Bitubo Shocks, HD003WME, 300mm (11.8")
    For the rear and told me he would love to sell me more expensive shocks but the ones in the link rode just a well as the next tiers up did for half the money.
    That's just good business. It's a vast improvement over the stockers but still limited by the Harley's 3.5 inches or so of rear suspension travel.

On the RK front, here are a few locals to me that haven't been big wheel'd and ape hang'd:
    Harley Davidson Road King Classic <-- My fav
    2001 Harley Davidson Road King
    Harley Davidson Road King Classic <-- Hey, Hey!
    100th Anniversary Peace Officer Special Harley Davidson Road King <-- Calm down, it's only a police bike

And there's really a ton of examples, pricing is of course all over the place. You can get an '03 at $11k or a '13 at $12,999 and anything in between-above-and below.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief