Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Luxo sport tourers

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Luxo sport tourers

Is that even a cop bike? It doesn't have the hockey-puck bag latches.. nor the big red cop-bike buttons on the pods. Did he really install police wig-wag lights? He should be shot!

$11,000 for a 15 year old motorcycle?! See.. this is what I'm talking about.

And do you have any idea how much of a pain in the ass it is going to be to clean those spoked wheels.

If you really have $11g's to spend and want a classic, at least get an '09+ with the improved frame and 6-speed like this.

Ooo. More from this dude in Hadley. This guy ridesalot!

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
    I'm on my fourth BMW and first pure sport tourer with a new R1200RS. I've had only one minor mapping issue with an '08 K bike that was quickly sorted out. I wouldn't read too much into shaft drive issues you hear about. I just see those as the vast minority. Outside of possibly a wing in the future, I'll always be Euro leaning.
    Visited this man the other day. Had not seen his R1200RS in person yet. I vaguely remember seeing a photo teased here on the NESR, but somehow discounted it.

Bike is 105948x more epic in person than I ever gave credit for. Ran home, did some interneting, asking around and am ready to decree the R1200RS to be a really, really, really swell motorbike. I like this thing so much better than the late model R1200RTs. Naturally my one issue is they seem to want just about ALL the money for it.

Still, Bubba needs to finangle a test ride on one of these. May need to firmly fix this mambajamma on my radar.

520 lbs wet.. so lighter than most of the luxo tourers. (More than 100lbs less than the FJR!)
    120HP (20 shy of the FJR) x 90 lbsft (10 short of the FJR) Twin power delivery; broad torque band over top-end power. My schtick.
    Smaller screen than most. Little more towards the sport end of the sport touring spectrum.
    Adjustable screen. (Manually adjustable.. but tool-less, can be adjusted from the seat.) Most indicate it is effective and adequate for super-slab use.
    Protection seems a nice compromise between minimal and excessive, something I liked about the FJR.
    Still upright ergos. Felt immediately comfortable to my nearly 40 y/o feel.
    Looks adequately inviting for a passenger.
    Nice solid bags. 63L of storage in the factory bags. A few L more than the FJR.
    Option to take a top case if desired. Available parcel shelf for lashing camping gear and/or a drybag for those of us not offended by that look.
    Available with all the shizzle built in from the factory; no screwing with aftermarket cruise, grip heaters, GPS mounts, etc.
    Top shelf brakes, suspension, components.

I hear the BMW "active" suspension may actually be worth the coin. Was not as convinced with the Japanese offerings (ie FJR1300ES, Tenere ES).

There was also an R1150RS once.
    Although I really wish they'd made a "hex-head" era (mid 2000's) RS. That'd be my new target. That era RT is close but just too much tourery. And the -ST doesn't appeal.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

I'm sure your financial planner can help you figure out the purchase!

Neglected rides coming up soon Bubbs, so hop on one of those and we can switch bikes for a bit. Plus only two more years before my bike-A.D.D. kicks in, and at that point I'll cut you a good deal on this ride.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Neglected rides coming up soon Bubbs, so hop on one of those and we can switch bikes for a bit.
    A solid offer. One I would not subject you to following through on. No way handing you the keys to a 50k mile V-Strom 650 would be anything in the vicinity of a fair shake. Although it would make for a good laugh.

I've been told Max has (at least) one and is willing to permit test rides. I may be able to score a demo on one of these that way.

Word has it these have not been selling well for BMW stateside.
    I suppose that's true for the whole ST segment; seems the ADV'ers have taken over.

Plus only two more years before my bike-A.D.D. kicks in, and at that point I'll cut you a good deal on this ride.
    Not Sure I can wait that long.

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Date night out in the manch. Couldn't help but notice the place of choice is 1/4 mile from MOM's. I haven't been there in a while. Can we? Can we? Can we? We CAN!
    They're now a Yamaha/Indian dealer, not the used mega store of my misspent 20's. There on the showroom is a fully spec'ed FJR1300ES.. that's the one with the electronic suspension for those left wondering. Sticker? $18.5k! Seems this is just the price for such things these days. Guess I need to get over it.

I've started putting pennies into the new-bike-fund jar again.

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

*note to self.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM LRRS 560x retired, PSTR 317 B-vet, NETRA enduro B-vet

The Nebulas: surf. Instrumental, gnarly surf.

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I've started putting pennies into the new-bike-fund jar again.
    You could move the lawn mower fund over into that jar too. Just sayin.

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

I hear old small displacement Honda twins from the late 70's/early 80's are the hot setup for two up sports touring.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2009 KTM 200 XC
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Good lord, what happened to me.
    Read reviews of the Garmin/BMW Navigator GPS gizmo this morning and thought "That's neat. Yeah, seems worth the $. Totally!"
    They are like 800 fucking dollars!

Long, long way from a free-to-me bottom of the barrel Garmin car unit with a sandwich baggie pulled over it.

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Check out Locus Maps for Android. It's not as user friendly as a Garmin, but it has a lot of the same capabilities for 100x less the price.

0 Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2014 Honda Grom

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Check out Locus Maps for Android. It's not as user friendly as a Garmin, but it has a lot of the same capabilities for 100x less the price.
    First problem is that I am not an Android user and likely won't be in the foreseeable future.

Secondly.. I'm not sure you understand how nifty that navigator gadget is. It's way more than a GPS. It integrates with the bike and is a full featured data logger. Even includes shit you'll never, ever need to care about, like how many times the rider applied the brakes! But I'm a techie nerd some days. And today that nerd decides to declare that neat-o!

Also the hardware is top shelf. Waterpoof. Bash proof. Locks to the bike. Integrates extremely well. Even serves up music through the bluetooth. I guess the new one serves up music through the bluetooth sourced from your phone. WOW!

Not saying I'm buying. Just saying it's neat.
    8 months ago I scoffed at the guy @ work who bought a brand new GSA with that gizmo. Today I'm understanding why he done so.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Sounds kinda cool, although I don't trust Garmin beyond their GPS for ease-of-use after trying to fiddle with BaseCamp. Super powerful, but super unintuitive and painful to use.

0 Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2014 Honda Grom

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345