Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Luxo sport tourers

Re: Luxo sport tourers

Don't I wish. It's an ass changing experience though, that's for sure. Still the best $$$ I've ever spent on any mod/change to a bike ever. And for what's it's worth, my dad has one on his FJR and I'm sure he'd be willing to let you take it for a rip

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 04-24-17 at 08:41 AM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I've ridden an FJR. Fookin' nice bike. Enjoyed the hell out of it. My reservation at this point isn't the seat; it's the price tag and dated tech.

I'm still somewhat baffled that you'd gladly fit a $500 seat to a $2500 V-Strom, but balk at a $70 lever on a $3000 KTM dirt-bike.
    To each their own.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I'm very happy with my seat from Terry Adcox, terryscustomseats. Pics of mine here Content Not Found

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by MattR302; 04-24-17 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I've ridden an FJR. Fookin' nice bike. Enjoyed the hell out of it. My reservation at this point isn't the seat; it's the price tag and dated tech.

I'm still somewhat baffled that you'd gladly fit a $500 seat to a $2500 V-Strom, but balk at a $70 lever on a $3000 KTM dirt-bike.
    To each their own.
    Time spent on each bike. I knew I'd spend countless hours on that seat. Not sure how much time I'll spend riding on the dirtbike.

And for what it's worth, I paid less for the KTM than I did my Wee.

We both know we don't mirror each others preferences. It's ok, and until I ride your KTM with the fancy clutch lever, I can't expect to understand how nice it might be. Same with you riding a RDL made for your tushy, not mine. (though you may have a similar tushy now with all that bicycle riding )

You spent mondo-bucks on a shock for a cheap Wee, I spent mondo-bucks for a seat. Both were unwise given the caliber of motorcycle, but both are undeniably worth it to the respective vantage points!

Last edited by TheIglu; 04-24-17 at 09:47 AM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

The RDL is unmatched for comfort factor. It looks goofy as hell, but it works great. I would have kept mine if I didn't use my Super Adventure offroad. It's not very offroad friendly.

2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

Hunt continues for an opportunity to test a 2015+ R1200RS. My interest is piqued.
    Do you need some snowblower chains or Kawi heli risers???

To each their own.
    People are irrational.

--Every economist, ever

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

I've given the Road King a lot of thought. ... But I could handle owning and daily riding a Road King no problem.
    Wound up at an HD dealership the other night killing some time with the lady friend. Started on the RK. Man, the latest RK is a very seriously awesome motorcycle. Electronic cruise. Great ergonomics. Awesome vintage/classic look. And I love the fit, finish and quality of the switch gear and components. I love that HD hasn't gone over the top with the gizmos on the RK. It's still just a motorcycle.

We also test sat a used Ultra Limited. She loved the backrest/arms/etc off the tour pack/top box. I can't get over the built in gizmos. GPS. Satelite radio. Cruise. Luxo to the top. Naturally I spied the price tag and was reminded. Still, damned nice rigs.

They have retired cop bikes too; RK's and Street Glides. All were Rushmore treatment ('14+) bikes. I love the little ergonomic improvements they made. Cop bikes have the extra red switches for lights and such but still have cruise. I thought they came w/o the cruise. The Street Glides are missing radios and some of the extra swizzle. Nothing I would miss. The turnoff on the street glide is the skinny front wheel and shorter suspension. RK + an aftermarket batwing seems like the sweet spot. Maybe with a OE top box..

Bad thing about going there with the lady friend is she's financially sane; looked at the price tags and remarked "this is fucking insane, I've never spent this much on a car".

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Tell her it's an emotional investment.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

You may know this, but you can purchase an RK and option it with the top case that has a back rest. I assume you still can anyway. They already come with hard bags, right?

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Yes, yes you can. $850 option:
    Access Denied

They get cleaver with their brackets too. Same bracket that does the tour case will also accept a standard rear back rest.

Also, is the Honda Interceptor an option? I think they quit making them in 2016 but I love those damn bikes, particularly the last generation.

she's financially sane
    Well there's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
    Well there's the problem.
    Yer fuct

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Yer fuct
    Yes I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    You may know this, but you can purchase an RK and option it with the top case that has a back rest. I assume you still can anyway. They already come with hard bags, right?
    I did. Interweb photos are not telling. Best I can tell there are two types of OE top cases; a "classic" and a regular. "Classic" looks to be smaller, lamer, and leather clad with fake buckles like the RK "Classic", which I do not care for. Regular looks to be a shorter version of the same top box on the Ultra? I can't tell. Looks like the passenger setup may be the same or similar to the Ultra just without the speakers.

The short answer is yes, I was aware of this. And yes, I think it's the ticket.

Black '14+ Road King. Base, not 'classic'. ABS + cruise. No options or extra bling. Chuck the factory police shield and go for a Memphis Shades batwing. Add the accessory top case. Strategically start removing a hand full of chrome bits every winter to be sent out and coated black. Drop the cat, but keep the pipes as they are. Drop the top case for M-F power commuting on I495. Attach it for weekends away. Keep my ass in the middle of the seat and stop trying to stick my knee out at every apex.

I can flat foot the RK easily. It is noticeably lighter with a noticeably lower center of gravity than the Ultras. No way the top box makes that much of a delta. Road Glide feels somewhere in the middle, so I'm calling this mostly due to the junk they pack in the fairing.

I cannot flat foot any of the BMW R1200's except the unfaired -R model. RT, GS, even the RS require toes. Had forgotten how confidence inspiring having your feet on the ground was.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Tell her it's an emotional investment.
    What blows is she's just saying what I was already thinking out loud. Motorcycles are fucking expensive nowadays.

Last edited by nhbubba; 05-26-17 at 02:22 PM.

I was gonna say that we shouldn't have to do an intervention because she's keeping you in check, but now I'm not so sure...

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Take chrome off... and leave it off? A goodly amount of that bling has got to be purely ornamental bolt ons that just add weight.

771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC

I don't think that's really true. Unless you consider the extra lights 'n such 'ornamental'. A lot of the stuff I'm talking about is stuff like engine/crash guards, headlight trim, etc.

It doesn't matter. An hour has gone by and I'm feeding the letters "FJR" into craigslist again.

This has many sects for me.

There was just a nice FJR ABS posted here yesterday, available with a big guy Penske...

And a BMW RT

Last edited by MattR302; 05-26-17 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    This has many sects for me.
    What do you see in it?!? None of the creature comforts of a tourer. Pales compared to a real super sport.

What do you see in it?!? None of the creature comforts of a tourer. Pales compared to a real super sport.
    It's got heated grips and a comfy seat for two. What else do you need? It's also a looker. Not a cheerleader, more like the hot girl that played varsity soccer. The FJR, on the other hand, is painfully ugly. Absolutely hideous. Not even a mercy fuck. I also genuinely believe I don't need or even want a real super sport for a street bike. Throw the side bags and rear case (with back rest) and be gone for a long trip. Leave it naked and go carve up the twisties with your buds on "real" super sports.

I'd give the fjr a mercy bang, but I have no shame.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Bub,
    Take mine for a spin. Great two up comfort. Bring the lady along. I'll throw the givi top case on, works great for a backrest. Pilot seat has two heights, if that's a concern. Fuck, bring me a bike, and I'll meet you half way for the test ride.

2008 FJR1300 ABS $6800

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!