Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Luxo sport tourers

Re: Luxo sport tourers

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    This has many sects for me.
    Weird. I don't even see that much of a difference aesthetically.

I admit the price is right. And the V4 is a pretty nice engine.
    But how the hell does Honda make these things weigh so much? At least the FJR has factory bags, a shaft drive and 1300cc mill to blame the weight on.
    Me, I like something a bit more upright. The (power!) adjustable screen and electronic cruise are the titties.
    For me the bang wouldn't even be mercy.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    Bub,
    Take mine for a spin. Great two up comfort. Bring the lady along. I'll throw the givi top case on, works great for a backrest. Pilot seat has two heights, if that's a concern. Fuck, bring me a bike, and I'll meet you half way for the test ride.
    I really have my heart set on something newer, with the electronic cruise and other swizzle. A gen 3 ('13+) or bust. But that is a solid offer, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    And a BMW RT
    That RT has a bit too many miles for my stomach. Machine is likely going to need one of everything real soon.
    And honestly the R1200RT does little for me. They are fuggin' huge, especially from the saddle. I offended a friend the other day when I told him the latest RT seems more like the 'Wing to me than a sport tourer. Not that the 'Wing doesn't know how to sport.
    Also BMW seems intent on fixing problems none of us ever knew we had these days. The latest example is a keyless ignition system. What exactly is so difficult about using a key on a motorcycle?!?

For a BMW 1200 era R bike I think I'd go GS. But damn, are they tall, 'spensive beasts!

Anytime. Just did 3000 miles in 8 riding days. Cruise would have been nice on the highways, but I realized highways suck so much , that I just need to avoid them all together. So I lost the mental need for it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

My commute is 80 miles of highway and 20 miles of nice. Cruise would be huge for that.
    Naturally if I quit buying motorcycles I'd probably be able to quit working and not need to ride highways anymore. But, that all seems unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    But how the hell does Honda make these things weigh so much?
    As I tell myself regularly "weight isn't everything" (coming from the guy with a 900+ lb bike).

It really depends on what you are looking for.
    Some claims that the passenger seat on a rc51 is "comfy" enough. Some describe the interceptor or FJR as having a "comfy" seat. Some require cup holders and phone chargers to be "comfy". It's really subjective.
    As I know you are aware, there isn't a perfect bike for all situations. What itch does this one need to scratch?

As I've argued in the past, I think you overestimate cruise, but I don't use cruise in the car very much either, so maybe I underestimate it...

Weird. I don't even see that much of a difference aesthetically.

I admit the price is right. And the V4 is a pretty nice engine.
    But how the hell does Honda make these things weigh so much? At least the FJR has factory bags, a shaft drive and 1300cc mill to blame the weight on.
    Me, I like something a bit more upright. The (power!) adjustable screen and electronic cruise are the titties.
    For me the bang wouldn't even be mercy.
    I can't see how you *don't* see a huge difference. The thing only weighs 500 pounds. Not they bad.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

My commute is 80 miles of highway and 20 miles of nice. Cruise would be huge for that.
    Naturally if I quit buying motorcycles I'd probably be able to quit working and not need to ride highways anymore. But, that all seems unlikely.
    Not trying to pester you on this, but is that round trip? Mine was 75 round trip, and never considered cruise. Granted, there are probably more cars down here, so I'm constantly accel and decel around them. And with the super light throttle spring, you barely have to hold the grip to keep the throttle open.

Just sayin

I can't see how you *don't* see a huge difference. The thing only weighs 500 pounds. Not they bad.
    What are those forks? conventional forks with radial mounted brakes? That has to be a first.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Get that new 6cyl BMW bagger. 180hp, hotness.
    Could be my next ride. I've had the chance to put about 50 miles on one. Really an incredible bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    What are those forks? conventional forks with radial mounted brakes? That has to be a first.
    Yeah apparently they wanted to give it the look of a USD fork. Interesting, they probably should have just put a USD fork on the bike, but I'm sure the radially mounted brakes are a nice upgrade.

Yeah apparently they wanted to give it the look of a USD fork. Interesting, they probably should have just put a USD fork on the bike, but I'm sure the radially mounted brakes are a nice upgrade.
    What bike is it?

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    What bike is it?
    '14+ VFR 800. I'm not sure if they still sell them in the US, Honda only lists them as new as '16 on their US site.

I see them only showing as 2014/2015. But I think that just means they didn't update it since 2015.

Radial brakes are neat, but as long as they are 4+ pots I am fine with regular mount calipers. The FJR has 4 pot calipers.

I just looked, the FJR has right-side-up cartridge forks too.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    Not trying to pester you on this, but is that round trip? Mine was 75 round trip, and never considered cruise. Granted, there are probably more cars down here, so I'm constantly accel and decel around them. And with the super light throttle spring, you barely have to hold the grip to keep the throttle open.
    Yes, 90-ish a day, round trip, grand total. 20 of which is fun roads, the rest slog.
    Unfortunately a good doobie on this very forum lent me his heavy tour bike for a week recently. I got to sample the pleasure of doing those highway miles with the cruise set, not getting this shit knocked out of me by the wind. It was.. awesome.

I use cruise everywhere in the truck. I even use it on some local roads I know are well patrolled at certain hours to avoid extra attention. I love cruise control. I think its gods gift to motorized transport.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

That RT has a bit too many miles for my stomach. Machine is likely going to need one of everything real soon.
    Apparently you missed the part about him being a stickler for maintenance. This guy is a retired machinist that's done full frame off show quality restorations, built engines for drag cars in his spare time. The guy has nothing but time, I guarantee you it doesn't need one of anything soon. He didn't put 71k on it by worrying that it was going to breakdown around the next corner.

Jeff

Colin, I think you will be happy with a lot of choices mentioned.

IF you think a Harley might suit you, I still think the best ratio for happy riding days vs monetary loss if you eventually go in a different direction (or even if you don't) would be if you lowered your expectations for the latest and greatest features on the newest Harleys and bought someone's used and older, but practically new condition Road King for 60% off retail and could sell it down the road for damn close to what you paid.

The depreciation chart on Harley touring bikes look like a capital L almost. Buy in right at the apex, ride a sweet bike for practically free. Or, get the latest features for an extra ten or twelve grand. I can testify that the bikes are fun even without the new features. Haven't ridden a new one but I doubt I'd pull out my checkbook for the marginal increase in fun over the 2005 technology I already own.

Last edited by Imbeek; 05-28-17 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    Apparently you missed the part about him being a stickler for maintenance.
    Noted. Sounds like my loss.

I'm not much for the latest gen RT anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    I think you will be happy with a lot of choices mentioned.
    I agree.

The depreciation chart on Harley touring bikes look like a capital L almost. Buy in right at the apex, ride a sweet bike for practically free. Or, get the latest features for an extra ten or twelve grand. I can testify that the bikes are fun even without the new features. Haven't ridden a new one but I doubt I'd pull out my checkbook for the marginal increase in fun over the 2005 technology I already own.
    Really, this is true for most motorcycles. My $0.02 is that the knee point for most of these high-dollar machines is right about the 5 year mark; where financing becomes more difficult.

If that means 2012, that's fine for the RK. I'd take anything '09 or newer.. assuming it was not a classic (wire wheels) and equipped with factory cruise. I was at the dealer the other night, but truthfully just because it was there and we had 20 minutes to kill. I could never bring myself to part with that kind of $ for a toy. Just ain't happening.

I'm on the fence. I currently lust for a big, comfortable mile muncher. Something with good wind/weather protection and a big honkin' pile of CCs so cruising at 80 is a trivial task. Cruise would be huge; I like the feature a lot. Quality factory luggage would be nice too. I like the luggage I've seen on the 'Wing, FJR, Road King, BMWs. I loath the luggage I've seen on the Kawasakis, Suzukis, and lesser Yamahas (ie FJ-09). I have a love/hate opinion on the 'wing; frighteningly good motorcycle, but just too much everything for me right now. The BMWs bother me in that the new ones solve 49382 problems I didn't know I even had; exhibit A is the silly keyless ignition. I have a coworker trying to convince me a 2002-ish BMW R1150RT is the droid I'm after. I'm skeptic of something that old. All the 1200RTs do not appeal.

The FJR may just be the right in the middle answer. I think I'm on the hunt for a reasonably priced Gen-III (13-present). Couple locally in the $10k ballpark. Bet that number gets even better later in the season.

Fortunately I'm in no hurry. I like my trusty 'strom and it ain't broke. I have the itch for a new(er) bike, but no real motivation to act right now.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

I dig the new VFR as well... Just not enough to park one between my ZRX and ST2. Even those two are borderline duplicative.

CCS/LRRS #83

Here's an interesting scenario: I've been invited to take my Road King in late August of this year with four others on a fairly involved motorcycle tour. Two weeks, roughly six thousand miles, riding around Montana, Colorado, Wyoming and some other states thru the Rockies, bookended with two iron butt days at each end (roughly 1900 miles to get "there" and 1900 back). They are planning to pay for lodging every night, so they will be carrying clothes, toiletries, cameras, and miscellaneous travel needs only on the bikes. I doubt I'm going, just heard about the iron butt aspect yesterday and probably will prefer another solo trip, I'm thinking.

Anyway, the whole point of the trip is to explore the Rockies and national parks, after riding out there. As I said, I'd take my Road King if I went. Others on the ride include 2 gold wings, a vstrom, and a bmw R1200RT I think..an RxxxxRT anyway.

What bike would you want for this trip?

Last edited by Imbeek; 05-29-17 at 05:16 AM.

Trips like that aren't in the cards for me these days. No sense me buying a machine for a trip I'm not making.

This thread does not deliver.

None of mine ever do. I'd un-sub now.

Here's an interesting scenario: I've been invited to take my Road King in late August of this year with four others on a fairly involved motorcycle tour. Two weeks, roughly six thousand miles, riding around Montana, Colorado, Wyoming and some other states thru the Rockies, bookended with two iron butt days at each end (roughly 1900 miles to get "there" and 1900 back). They are planning to pay for lodging every night, so they will be carrying clothes, toiletries, cameras, and miscellaneous travel needs only on the bikes. I doubt I'm going, just heard about the iron butt aspect yesterday and probably will prefer another solo trip, I'm thinking.

Anyway, the whole point of the trip is to explore the Rockies and national parks, after riding out there. As I said, I'd take my Road King if I went. Others on the ride include 2 gold wings, a vstrom, and a bmw R1200RT I think..an RxxxxRT anyway.

MOTUS MST.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

'14+ VFR 800. I'm not sure if they still sell them in the US, Honda only lists them as new as '16 on their US site.
    I just went from a '10 VFR1200 to a stupidly clean and set up '07VFR800 never in a million years did I see that coming, but boy does the older bike have character, compared to the newer over engineered one. Also going from 150 whp to something in the 90s wasn't that bad as I was expecting.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!