Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

M4 / set valve changes

M4 / set valve changes

I have an '07 gsxr 600 that was all stock except power commander. It ran pretty good except for some low rpm fueling issues that made around town riding really annoying. While I had it apart last month I noticed the SET valve didn't appear to be cycling through properly when I turned the key on. After taking it all completely apart and fiddlefucking with it to try and find the problem I decided to shit can the whole system, including the boat anchor cat and muffler. Ordered up an M4 street slayer slip on for under $400. Build quality seems really good, maybe a touch too loud, but the changes cured the fueling issue and throttle response is much better.

Question: is it now worth getting it custom mapped? I believe the PC3 had a map for a basically stock bike (no idea where my cable is to hook it up). Im not getting any stumbles, bike pulls hard on top, and no popping on decel. Are there generally worthwhile gains to the custom map? I guess I'll say if this bike was carb'd I'd be happy with jetting that fueled this well. Cost of a custom map?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: M4 / set valve changes

You don't need a PC..but it will smooth out the idle and help out the pipe and performance. 06-07 gsxr's had a bit of a flutter and some would stall comming up to a light and the PC helps get rid of that, smooth out the idle. You can buy a pre mapped PC from fuelmoto and just plug it in and dont need to spend 2-300 on a tune. I did this on my 06 1K and had great results and a great MAP and a slip on. So good, that RJ's thought it was a custome tune. The thing that you neeed to do is either cut or pull the pin on the wire for the set valve or just deal with the FI light comming on.

I have built 4 06-07 gsxr 600's and 1 1K.............

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    You don't need a PC..but it will smooth out the idle and help out the pipe and performance. 06-07 gsxr's had a bit of a flutter and some would stall comming up to a light and the PC helps get rid of that, smooth out the idle. You can buy a pre mapped PC from fuelmoto and just plug it in and dont need to spend 2-300 on a tune. I did this on my 06 1K and had great results and a great MAP and a slip on. So good, that RJ's thought it was a custome tune. The thing that you neeed to do is either cut or pull the pin on the wire for the set valve or just deal with the FI light comming on.

I have built 4 06-07 gsxr 600's and 1 1K.............
    Thanks, that answers my question. I already have the PC installed, so I'll google around for some other maps to try. I did pull the wire for the set valve and the FI light went away.

Good deal.... if you really feel its a shitty map. Wait till lowell bike night or a Dyno day and have them run it. One pass was 25$ I think... and you can get the print out and really see where it is...but I am sure there is a map floating around with a good tune you can use

you can pull the Box and all the wires too and save some space....its under the seat, against the frame I belive. Big box with wires off it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Yeah I chucked that box and all the cables. It was full of cheap plasticky gears. My understanding is that the system did nothing for performance and is there only for noise/emissions...

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Yeah I chucked that box and all the cables. It was full of cheap plasticky gears. My understanding is that the system did nothing for performance and is there only for noise/emissions...
    Cold start ups...and useless LOLOL

I do think that they have a plug with resistors in it so you don't throw a code when removed but.........