Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

MA Lane Splitting Update #2

MA Lane Splitting Update #2

Me again,

Last week we delivered a heap of documents to our friendly neighborhood house representative for his perusal. Here's a list of what we sent over:

A digital copy of an open letter from the Massachusetts motorcycle industry with the signatures of 14 businesses on it.

A letter from the Motorcycle Industry Council supporting Lane Splitting in MA

A copy of our research paper, which is published on RideToWork.org pending acceptance to the NASEM Transportation Research Database, TRID.

• A comprehensive list of all 15 state-level bills currently under consideration in other states.
    • A copy of the floor analyses of AB51, which is the bill in California. Included in the floor analyses is a list of organizations that support the measure, including several law enforcement, insurance, and industry groups.
    • A letter of support from the AMA

While the representative's office is digesting all of that information, we're moving on to the next steps in our plan:

• We're approaching the Massachusetts Police Association, the local chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police, and the Massachusetts Insurance Federation to seek their support on the measure.
    • We're reaching out to several additional house and senate members to seek their support on the measure

Things are going very well so far. We're ahead of schedule, and have crossed the first two major hurdles (The first house representative and the paper). But we still need help! Here's what you can do to help us in our efforts:

• We always need more businesses to sign the open letter. If you work for a company that would benefit from increasing the number of riders, reducing the crash and injury rate, and reducing traffic, please consider trying to convince your boss to sign the letter. PM me for more information if you need help with convincing your boss.
    • Share the study I linked above with anyone who will listen. This is the first paper to pull together all the sources we've listed to give a comprehensive answer to the viability of lane splitting in areas where it's not currently legal.
    • And as always, call or email your local representatives! Use this tool to find your local representative and get in touch with them! If they offer to meet with you, feel free to PM me and I'll help you prep for the meeting or I can go in your place if you don't work in Boston.

9 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Dillo; 07-21-16 at 12:56 PM.