Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

MA Lane Splitting Update #3

MA Lane Splitting Update #3

Hi Everyone,

For those of you just tuning in, here's the cliff's notes version of what's happened so far.

We published a research paper here where we examined recent studies on lane splitting. The consensus among those studies is that lane splitting reduces the rate of crashes and significantly reduces the injury and fatality rate.

CarInsuranceComparison.com published an article here indicating that here in the commonwealth we actually have better drivers than much of the rest of the country, including California. We may drive like assholes but we're good at not running into each other.

We convinced State House Representative Thomas Stanley to submit a bill legalizing lane splitting in MA during the next legislative session, which starts in January.

We began talking to local lobbying groups about getting their support.

This brings us to where we are now. And right now we need your help with the following two things:

First, we need to get the Massachusetts Motorcycle Association on board with this bill. Their biennial legislative direction meeting is at 1:00 on October 15th at the Holiday Inn in Marlboro (265 Lakeside Ave (Route 20), Marlboro, MA). At this meeting, which is open to the public, they are going to vote on their legislative priorities for the next two years and we want lane splitting to be one of them. IF ANY OF YOU ARE AVAILABLE TO GO TO THIS MEETING IT WOULD MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE. My wife and I will be there along with as many other riders as I can find.

Next, as always, we need people to contact their local representatives. First, please call or email Rep. Stanley's office (his contact info is in the link above) to let him know you support the bill. Then please get in touch with your representatives and state senators. Local reps don't do anything unless a constituent calls and tells them they should support it so let's get those phones ringing.

9 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: MA Lane Splitting Update #3

Interesting read.

This was an interesting find.

when crashes do occur while lane splitting, the injuries are
    far less severe with:
    ● 60% fewer fatal injuries
    ● 47% fewer head injuries
    ● 34% fewer torso injuries
    ● 9% fewer extremity injuries
    Lane splitting is significantly safer
    than waiting in traffic when practiced at a reasonable speed

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Looking through the existing studies there's actually a surprisingly clear consensus regarding the safety benefits of lane splitting.

I've explained politely to a few MA troopers that I'd rather be ticketed by them for lane sharing vs. sit there and be a target. Each conversation has left me with no ticket.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

+1 for less deaths. My sperm count has dwindled since sitting in traffic. poor fellas.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

its in my blood

I'll see if I can make it . !!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I will definitely try to make this.

2009 XB12SCG Lightning

My wife and I will be there.

Have you talked with the MMA leadership already?

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

How did the MMA meeting go? Are they on board with this?

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    I've explained politely to a few MA troopers that I'd rather be ticketed by them for lane sharing vs. sit there and be a target. Each conversation has left me with no ticket.
    What did the troopers have to say about you not paying your debts and "stealing" bikes?

[SIGPIhttp://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic8737_4.gifC][/SIGPIC]

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

GDit.... sooo upset to have missed the meeting on the 15th.

PM incoming.

CCS/LRRS #83

So anyone know what happened at the MMA meeting??

Quote Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
    What did the troopers have to say about you not paying your debts and "stealing" bikes?
    ooooh, internet fight. I had to set that shit down a while back, good on you if you want to carry it around.

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Hi All,

Sorry for the late reply. I don't generally check this forum unless I get a notification.

The MMA meeting went fairly well. I had a second meeting with them two weeks ago, and they're on board with the idea. The version of the bill currently being worked on will look something like this:

* Lane splitting becomes legal, and it becomes illegal to block motorcycles from splitting lanes.

* A speed limit of 30mph while splitting lanes, with a limit on passing speed of no more than 10mph faster than the speed of traffic (ie: if traffic is going 10mph you can't go faster than 20mph)

* Increased penalties for speeding while splitting lanes or splitting lanes on roads where it's not permitted.

* One version restricts lane splitting only to highways, possibly even restricting it to interstate highways as they're the widest roads. Another possibility being discussed here is to restrict lane splitting to only be allowed between the two leftmost lanes.

* An alternate option being considered is to make it legal to ride a motorcycle in the bicycle lane, possibly with a provision restricting maximum width or restricting it to only bikes without sidecases/panniers

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

...Another possibility being discussed here is to restrict lane splitting to only be allowed between the two leftmost lanes (this).

Would love to see this in Maine.

If there are restrictions placed on lane usage, doesn't this invalidate the studies to some extent? In other words, if the argument for lane splitting is safety and the evidence is in the studies, the new laws should be sculpted closely around the conditions those studies were conducted in or the results become skewed. Maybe something to consider if there is pushback from those trying to neuter the law. This is mainly in reference to restricting splitting to highways, certain lanes, etc.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

I suggest two left lanes as it's a lot easier to retrain drivers to be aware of that space versus a free for all around them. It will ultimately save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillo View Post
    Hi All,

Sorry for the late reply. I don't generally check this forum unless I get a notification.

The MMA meeting went fairly well. I had a second meeting with them two weeks ago, and they're on board with the idea. The version of the bill currently being worked on will look something like this:

* Lane splitting becomes legal, and it becomes illegal to block motorcycles from splitting lanes.

* A speed limit of 30mph while splitting lanes, with a limit on passing speed of no more than 10mph faster than the speed of traffic (ie: if traffic is going 10mph you can't go faster than 20mph)

* Increased penalties for speeding while splitting lanes or splitting lanes on roads where it's not permitted.

* One version restricts lane splitting only to highways, possibly even restricting it to interstate highways as they're the widest roads. Another possibility being discussed here is to restrict lane splitting to only be allowed between the two leftmost lanes.
    Irrationally restrictive, but better than what you've got now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillo View Post
    * An alternate option being considered is to make it legal to ride a motorcycle in the bicycle lane, possibly with a provision restricting maximum width or restricting it to only bikes without sidecases/panniers
    This strikes me as a very bad idea. Dangerous for the bicyclists.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    Would love to see this in Maine.

If there are restrictions placed on lane usage, doesn't this invalidate the studies to some extent? In other words, if the argument for lane splitting is safety and the evidence is in the studies, the new laws should be sculpted closely around the conditions those studies were conducted in or the results become skewed. Maybe something to consider if there is pushback from those trying to neuter the law. This is mainly in reference to restricting splitting to highways, certain lanes, etc.
    Yes, exactly. Data be damned, they're politicians and they know better than everyone and they want to control and micro-manage every aspect of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    I suggest two left lanes as it's a lot easier to retrain drivers to be aware of that space versus a free for all around them. It will ultimately save lives.
    That's the best place to do it, generally, and if you ride in CA, you'll see that's where the majority of it is done. But it shouldn't be a legal restriction, because there will be plenty of situations where it's better/safer to use another lane, and there's no rational reason to cut off that possibility.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Cdovego: Hell yeah I'll carry it around. My bike was stolen a few years ago and I cant stand thieves.

Last edited by South of Heaven; 11-08-16 at 12:51 PM.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Practice anyone?
    Traffic Rider - Android Apps on Google Play

for entertainment purposes only!

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
    Cdovego: Hell yeah I'll carry it around. My bike was stolen a few years ago and I cant stand thieves.
    I had a bike stolen, too - def. sucks.