Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

MA - Proposed legislation to make wearing helmets optional....

Lifer

Re: MA - Proposed legislation to make wearing helmets optional....

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I mean who in fuck goes for a pleasure ride in a metropolitan area
    Hey Randy. Someday I'll introduce you to this crazy territory wedged between worcester and stockbridge.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Hey Randy. Someday I'll introduce you to this crazy territory wedged between worcester and stockbridge.
    my sister lives in Deerfield.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

a ton = 100, yes, that is insignificant
    I would estimate 2500 miles a year urban commuting each of the years 2008-2014 personally.

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    I would estimate 2500 miles a year urban commuting each of the years 2008-2014 personally.
    2500 miles a year is not a lot of miles

fwiw, "a ton" in motorcycle speak usually means 100mph

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

that is what I was getting at

I don't think anywhere near as many NH riders, ride to commute to MA and MA riders coming to NH for pleasure, but that is just an opinion

yes, there is a correlation between registered bikes and miles ridden, but when crossing state lines, it is not necessarily as direct here in the smaller eastern states as it is in the larger western states, I mean who in fuck goes for a pleasure ride in a metropolitan area
    Ice cream anyone. Lol

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

2500 miles a year is not a lot of miles

fwiw, "a ton" in motorcycle speak usually means 100mph
    I am aware of what the ton meant 60 years ago. Colloquialisms change and not every motorcyclist is that old. I apologize for misinterpreting your comment. And I would say that 2500 miles a year of strictly urban commuting is actually quite a bit of saddle time considering average speeds. It was something like 1 1/2 hours a day 5 days a week. This does not count riding for pleasure on the weekends or after work.

And also, garandman is right about population density.

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Less than 10% of motorcyclists use their bikes for commuting and/or regular transportation. This is made up for somewhat by the fact that commuting riders average more miles per year, but still, transportation/commuting is probably not more than 20% of motorcycle miles traveled in the U.S. So the commuting miles are not totally insignificant, but are not the main factor in determining any of these statistics. I do commute on my bike, and ride 11K to 18K per year, but that's very much the exception, not the rule.

I also always wear a full helmet, and think that using helmets is a very good idea. But I'm not willing to harm or threaten others who choose differently than I do. Therein lies the secret of being a libertarian. I make my choices, you make yours -- I don't hurt you for making the choices you make, you don't hurt me for making the choices I make. Simple, peaceful, ethical.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 01-11-16 at 11:14 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Lifer

For those who want a higher health insurance premium, would you be okay with paying extra because you ride a motorcycle?

How bout a dirt bike? And a bicycle? And climb ladders? And stairs? I don't think it's reasonable to use insurance as a way to regulate our lives based on what the majority thinks is 'safe'. We all take risk every day in various ways. Sitting too much, over exercising, inheriting some bad luck, it's all risk.

I think it should be a personal choice, strongly recommended by the government (if it can be done for minor cost), and by insurers. I'll continue wearing my full face at every opportunity, and recommending others do the same.

nedirtriders.com

that is what I was getting at

I don't think anywhere near as many NH riders, ride to commute to MA and MA riders coming to NH for pleasure, but that is just an opinion
    The population of NH is 1/5th MA, but I see plenty riding S in the summer months during commuting times.

You'd be surprised at the number of riders who come to Boston in summer. I am!

This discussion is moot because MMA might be the least effective advocacy group I've ever seen.

Last edited by Garandman; 01-12-16 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    For those who want a higher health insurance premium, would you be okay with paying extra because you ride a motorcycle?

How bout a dirt bike? And a bicycle? And climb ladders? And stairs? I don't think it's reasonable to use insurance as a way to regulate our lives based on what the majority thinks is 'safe'. We all take risk every day in various ways. Sitting too much, over exercising, inheriting some bad luck, it's all risk.

I think it should be a personal choice, strongly recommended by the government (if it can be done for minor cost), and by insurers. I'll continue wearing my full face at every opportunity, and recommending others do the same.
    ^^^ Agree.

What do you think about requiring health insurance or proof of sufficient assets to cover a medical emergency ($100k?) to register a bike, or to ride helmetless?

It's almost in moot point in MA because for years 95+% have had health insurance, but it eliminates the 'social burden' argument. The social burden argument is weakened by the fact that motorcyclists have health insurance coverage at a higher rate than the general public. At least that was the case last time I read about up on the topic. That's probably because most bikes are expensive toys owned by people who can afford sufficient insurance.

Several states have helmet laws are written requiring health insurance, but I'm not sure what the penalty is if a rider crashed and lied about having insurance.

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123