Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

MA RMV and Proof of Insurance

Question MA RMV and Proof of Insurance

Another question from the new-to-MA guy

So, I bought a new bike this weekend (from a MA dealer) and obviously have to get insurance and register it. The part that's a little foreign to me is the whole thing of going to an insurance agent and getting the RMV-1 form stamped and signed by them. What I don't understand is how this works if I get insurance through a website like Geico or Progressive. Do I really have to find an agent with an office in MA? If I do, any recommendations in/around Boston? Can someone explain it to me?

BTW, I did search the forum, but the info I found seemed out-of-date.

Thanks in advanced from the new guy

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: MA RMV and Proof of Insurance

If you do it online they'll email or send you an RMV1.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

in this state I recommend not only going with a local office for insurance, but find an agent you can trust and build a good relationship.
    I got screwed by insurances when i first moved here because I didnt know anything.
    I know how have 6 vehicles, my house and some "other" insurance all under one office, one agent.

Progressive is who I've used, they have an office in Westwood which is where I visited to get the RMV-1 sorted.

Oh, such a beautiful tarmac. Look how smooth it is. See how smooth it is? And it's warm, and it's hard. - Charley Boorman, Long Way Round

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    If you do it online they'll email or send you an RMV1.
    This. I had Liberty Mutual a little while back and went in for a RMV1 once - spent the whole time wondering why I was wasting so much time in their shitty office. Progressive for car and bike now and it's the best price I've found for my one ticket in 3yrs two in 5 record.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimedog View Post
    This. I had Liberty Mutual a little while back and went in for a RMV1 once - spent the whole time wondering why I was wasting so much time in their shitty office. Progressive for car and bike now and it's the best price I've found for my one ticket in 3yrs two in 5 record.
    Funny I just switched from progressive to liberty last year. I think all the insurance companies probably run the same theory of business practice as comcast cable.. basically loyal customers are shit and we should slowly jack their rates because they may be too lazy to switch and new customers are gold offer them anything to get them on the hook. progressive definitely has better customer service though.. my definition of good customer service is 24/7 phone and email availability, being able to do more things online without ever talking to a person(good website that has functionality) and processes that take less time and confirmations that waste my time. Progressive would always email me an RMV1 right after I called and asked for it. The vehicle got added online of course, but RMV1 wasn't automatically available without a quick phone call. I really try to stay away from any business that is only available m-f 9-5 which excludes some lazy agencies. Liberty isn't horrible now, they did email me an RMV1, but took more time on the phone and I had to enter all the new vehicle info over the phone as well. I always worry the guy on the other end will fat finger the inputs or miss hear me.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Tunertype View Post
    Funny I just switched from progressive to liberty last year. I think all the insurance companies probably run the same theory of business practice as comcast cable.. basically loyal customers are shit and we should slowly jack their rates because they may be too lazy to switch and new customers are gold offer them anything to get them on the hook. progressive definitely has better customer service though.. my definition of good customer service is 24/7 phone and email availability, being able to do more things online without ever talking to a person(good website that has functionality) and processes that take less time and confirmations that waste my time. Progressive would always email me an RMV1 right after I called and asked for it. The vehicle got added online of course, but RMV1 wasn't automatically available without a quick phone call. I really try to stay away from any business that is only available m-f 9-5 which excludes some lazy agencies. Liberty isn't horrible now, they did email me an RMV1, but took more time on the phone and I had to enter all the new vehicle info over the phone as well. I always worry the guy on the other end will fat finger the inputs or miss hear me.
    Why did you switch? I use progressive for the bikes and GEICO for my cars and they have been worlds better than any local place I had before.

Lifer

There are a few companies that you can get your RMV-1 online.. Liberty is one of them. One of the guys here used to work for Liberty, he simply said email me what you have, if I can beat it.. then so be it. Also.. Liberty is the only company that has extra insurance if you own/have owned a subaru. Yes I sold my subaru but they said the discount still applies. I have everything through them now.

Going back to the RMV-1 just means proof that someone would insure you.. so you need a stamp or a form with that before you can register any vehicle. Kind of crazy.. but kind of makes sense since you must have insurance here in MA unlike a lot of other states that you don't need to have insurance. It's certainly easier if you have an office to go to when you need to do things in a hurry.. otherwise, you wait for it to get mailed to you.

Also certain AAA branches can do things like register for you, however, most cannot issue NEW plates, you can transfer though. It blows that there are no more registries open on the weekends, I searched around when getting a new to me car that had to be moved. I ended up transferring plates and getting it going that Saturday.

Thanks everyone... this clarifies things for me. Looks like I'll probably go with Progressive - they just had the best rates (about 25% lower than the others). See you out there, hopefully soon

Quote Originally Posted by vinicio View Post
    Thanks everyone... this clarifies things for me. Looks like I'll probably go with Progressive - they just had the best rates (about 25% lower than the others). See you out there, hopefully soon
    I've done several bikes through them. Order and pay for your policy, call up and they'll email you an RMV-1. Fill out the 3 or 4 lines it asks you to fill out, take it to the RMV with your title and bill of sale -- you get your bike registered.

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiGuy View Post
    I've done several bikes through them. Order and pay for your policy, call up and they'll email you an RMV-1. Fill out the 3 or 4 lines it asks you to fill out, take it to the RMV with your title and bill of sale -- you get to suffer for hours and then write a check and leave disgusted.
    Fixed that for you

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Why did you switch? I use progressive for the bikes and GEICO for my cars and they have been worlds better than any local place I had before.

Liberty had a better deal and bundled home insurance for more savings. Also Liberty isn't bad and of course I didn't do it through an agency. I think you also save by cutting out all those guys that just sit around in an agency. I know progressive has both agencies and direct and direct bypassing your agency saves you money.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    in this state I recommend not only going with a local office for insurance, but find an agent you can trust and build a good relationship.
    I got screwed by insurances when i first moved here because I didnt know anything.
    I know how have 6 vehicles, my house and some "other" insurance all under one office, one agent.
    Yea this. All of this.

Too many bikes to list
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Also, if you're new to MA you'll want to know (if you don't already): You need a special rider on your insurance to cover medical payments in case you go down on your bike, it's not covered under just basic insurance.
    Ask me how I know!!!

Too many bikes to list
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/
    Mosdt likely drunkd