Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

My tank bags have always been strap type.

Has anyone ever lost a magnetic one . That is just plain fell off ?

Any other downsides.

Does anybody recommend one they think is superior ?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Glen Beck is John the Baptist

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

i have a tourmaster magnetic tankbag. I would rather the strap and will probably change soon.
    I have never had it slide or fall off or anything. My Rex has a very small windscreen but it is enough to push the air around it even when it's fully expanded. Other than ease of use - I can't really think of many other positives to it.
    The negatives? The magnets drag when you remove the bag or try to center it adn I know that it will scratch the tank eventually. Worst thing is the magnets themselves - forget about putting your wallet or phone or digital camera in it. I lost all my credit cards, debit card and atm card when I first got it. Didn't think twice about tossing everything in there so the pics on the digi were gone, the wallet cards got fucked and the celly got fucked too. Had to fully reset it and lost my addy book. I am stuck showing all that shit in my pockets when I ride even though the tankbag is on, fully accessible much easier to open then my pockets. Now when I want to take a pic I have to take off the gloves, dig it outta my pocket and redo everything when done. Makes it a pain in the ass. I would stay with a strap it I were you

Bras cause cancer.

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

i have the icon urban tankbag,
    very strong magnets,(except mine were in backwards when I first bought it) and has 2 straps that secure around the top triple clamp.
    Never had any problems with it.

Lifer

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

I have a magnetic that I got from joberly that I love. The magnets are strong but just on the side that goes on the tank. I keep my wallet, cards, phone, jump drive, in the bag all the time and haven't had a problem yet. It is also more than secure. I have never seen it budge an inch. And I even tested it with an 80 MPH highway wheelie for a good distance.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

Originally posted by hessogood
    I have a magnetic that I got from joberly that I love. The magnets are strong but just on the side that goes on the tank. I keep my wallet, cards, phone, jump drive, in the bag all the time and haven't had a problem yet. It is also more than secure. I have never seen it budge an inch. And I even tested it with an 80 MPH highway wheelie for a good distance.
    squid

Bras cause cancer.

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

I guess I am hearing that you should look for the ones with wings where the magnets are not like in contact with the bag proper.

Do you concur

Lifer

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

Originally posted by Nikon
    squid
    wouldn't that imply that I wasn't in control of said wheelie? Where are them pictures you said you snapped of me at the track?

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

I bought one on Saturday for the big Sunday ride and have had no issues with it. I did keep my wallet in my jacket though, for fear of what happened to Nikon. I guess that was a good thing
    I don't generally bring a camera with me (someone else always does ) so I don't have to worry about that.

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

wouldn't that imply that I wasn't in control of said wheelie? Where are them pictures you said you snapped of me at the track?
    no
    i haven't got them developed yet. I took over 60 shots with the 35mm but it's film nt digi cause I am po - so po I can't even afford the "or"

Bras cause cancer.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

mine is magnetic, and ive never had a problem with cell phones or CCs but mine has several pckets on the inside of the lid so all that stuff goes in there..far away from the magnets

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

I have amagnetic tank bag, put everything in there, never had a problem. I never really noticed if there was magnets underneath the bag itself, but I know the bag has "wings" with magnets in it. Never moved or fall off, I love it, quick on, quick off. Also, my tank is not scratched because of it, I'm always carefull not to "Drag" it over the tank, and I try to not put the bag on the ground where there is sand or dirt.

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

no scratches.....easy on/off

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

I bought the Joe Rocket Manta tank bag...it's pretty small but enough for what I need it for. It has a cell phone pocket and the other I use for tokens so I don't have to do the dance at the tolls. Then it has one large compartment on the bottom. It doesn't move at all and I have no issues with putting my cell phone or wallet in it because it is not going anywhere. It has a strap that you can attach and carry over your shoulder like a camera bag when you are away from your bike. It also comes with a waterproof (maybe just resistant) cover. Definitely worth the money.

Path

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

why does mine suck then?
    I got a tourmaster because I had heard so many good things about them and I get this worst one out there? I guess that's just my luck - if I have any luck at all - it's bad luck

Bras cause cancer.

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

I have a Tourmaster magnetic tank bag, but this one also
    has a single strap up front that wraps around the headstock
    for added security. Never has a problem with it sliding off, but
    if you are not carefull, you can get some light scratching just
    from general use. I won't use a tank bag on my new bike.
    Prefer back pack of some sort.

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

Originally posted by Path148
    I bought the Joe Rocket Manta tank bag...it's pretty small but enough for what I need it for. It has a cell phone pocket and the other I use for tokens so I don't have to do the dance at the tolls. Then it has one large compartment on the bottom. It doesn't move at all and I have no issues with putting my cell phone or wallet in it because it is not going anywhere. It has a strap that you can attach and carry over your shoulder like a camera bag when you are away from your bike. It also comes with a waterproof (maybe just resistant) cover. Definitely worth the money.

Path
    I also have the manta, and love it..I wouldnt ride without it..It also doubles as a pillow for those long highway rides,I can lay on top of it comfortably..

Current Toys:

2005 Nissan Titan CC

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

Glad you're happy with it!

I have a Cortech Super Mini that I love... really small bag that holds a decent amount, and never lost my credit cards or camera that I cram in there. Most magnetic bags come with a strap too and I've tested the super mini at 100+ and it's fine. I was worried about that too since it's so small but held up great so far!

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

I have a magnetic tank bag with the side flap magnets. I don't remember the brand but I have never had any problems with it. My only advice is be very careful where you set it down. It will pick up sand and scratch your tank, so just be sure to keep it off the ground.

Kimberly
    2008 Ford F350 crew cab Super Duty 6.4L diesel
    1998 Superhawk 996
    ZX-Stewie's Other half

www.hornblasters.com
    www.cartier-farms.com

Lifer

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

I brought my tank bag as a carry on to deal's gap when I flew down to meet everyone. Little did I know when I set it down in my truck it picked up two pocket knifes with the magnets. One big and one small. Airport security did not like that so much.

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

Weekend travel..

If I am going for a 3 day trip where rain and road filth and maybe even dirt roads may be part of the ride. I have a little trick.

First a good cleaning and wax job then
    I put down a layer of the good blue masking tape then a layer of duct tape. I do this wherever I expect excessive rubbing or wear of bags or straps. Looks bush but works great.

The end of the trip; off comes the blue tape and all, with zero spooge. I have actually done this on an 8 day trip with success.

Lifer

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

FWIW I scratched up my SV tank with a strap on tank bag... so it is not as if those are any better in terms of saving the paint.

I'm going to end up getting another tailbag at some point. I like my saddlebags but they are overkill for a day trip. Tailbag seems like it interferes less with sport riding and you don't worry as much about scratching the paint.

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

Originally posted by benVFR
    FWIW I scratched up my SV tank with a strap on tank bag... so it is not as if those are any better in terms of saving the paint.

I'm going to end up getting another tailbag at some point. I like my saddlebags but they are overkill for a day trip. Tailbag seems like it interferes less with sport riding and you don't worry as much about scratching the paint.
    that makes sense. don't know why I didn't consider one, seeing as how my bike has that stupid factory luggage rack installed on it.

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

I use a product known as the tank locker. Its really pretty neat. The best descrtiption os on the web site www.luggagelocker.com but its a cap that locks onto the gas tank and then the bag locks onto it. Nothing touches the paint ever,and its locked on so it can't be stolen. When you need gas the bag just comes off with the key. Ive got a plastic tank so it seems like the best option. There are also various attachments so you can use different size bags as needed.

Magnetic Tank Bags ??

I actually just bought a Fieldsheer Eiffel yesterday. Brockton Cycles should have it up to me by today.

http://www.brocktoncycle.com/eshoppr...s_Fieldshe.htm

I'll post back tonight when I take it out for a ride...but I bought some of that clear tank tape for the magnet areas, just in case.