Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

View Poll Results: What maintenance tasks have you done?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • basic - oil/filter change, brake pads

9 29.03%
  • basic electrical work, changing bulbs, fuses, etc..

3 9.68%
  • clutch overhaul, plate replacement, etc..

0 0%
  • brake job - full bleed, fluid change, line swap, etc..

1 3.23%
  • tire change at home

0 0%
  • install a new chain

2 6.45%
  • valve check

0 0%
  • major suspension work, fork disassembly, etc..

4 12.90%
  • major engine work, piston/ring, cam, etc.. replacement, major transmission work

8 25.81%
  • I am Rye, bring it

4 12.90%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What maintenance have you done?

Lifer

Question What maintenance have you done?

Including all bikes you've ever had...

Just curious how many people are comfortable with what level of repairs.

Thought of this after reviewing the valve check procedures for my bike, which are commonly thought of as among the most complex for any bike on the market and caused a lot of people to complain... it looks pretty insane to me but I've never done a valve check on a simpler bike so that makes it seem even worse.

edit: Goddamn.. this was supposed to allow multiple selections by the same person.. if one of the moderators could edit the poll and select the checkbox for me that'd be great.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

nice poll....should made it multiple choice

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

I'll hafta do it from home tonight. Unless Degs or Dan can take care of it sooner...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

Originally posted by Stoneman
    I'll hafta do it from home tonight. Unless Degs or Dan can take care of it sooner...
    i gonna wait to see if it becomes multiple answers before i pick

good poll though

Bras cause cancer.

Mostly I do my own oil and oil filter changes, air filter, headlight and other bulbs, top off fluids, put on after market exhaust. Rye helped me (or should I say I helped HIM) adjust my air/fuel mixture screws which were sealed at the factory originally. Bike was runnning too lean and hot. Id LOVE to do more involved stuff, and am generally good with my hands. But I gotta tell ya, some things are downright intimidating....and I dont wanna get started on something only to have the damn bike hauled over to the dealer on a flatbed cuz either I screwed up or didnt have the correct tool(s). One thing Id like to do is get a look at my cam chain tensioner and guides, cuz Ive had this issue where there is a sound like a rattling or buzz when the bike is first started up from cold, then goes away over a few mins as the bike warms up. It cant be good. It comes from the upper right of the engine. Maybe I'll get the nerve to attempt this spring. Also, replace a drive chain, things like that. OR, Maybe I can convince Rye to possibly lend a hand on the tensioner prob. I have a Haynes manual to follow, but I need first to confirm that the noise is indeed the tensioner and/or guides.

Everybody to the limit!

Bemused?

For shame.

Originally posted by Honclfibr
    Bemused?

For shame.
    What's "For shame"?

Originally posted by Stoneman
    I can't find that option once the poll has been posted. I can see it when authoring the poll, the reason we were asked to modify, but this version of the BB code dosn't allow that edit after the poll has been posted.

Sorry benVFR, I tried.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Everybody to the limit!

Originally posted by greenmonster
    What's "For shame"?
    It's a rarely used colloquialism. It means "Shame on you." I'm bringing it back. That and hammer pants.

For shame, that you attempted to touch this. I assure you, you cannot.

I do all that shit... EXCEPT transmissions... don't touch them with a 10 foot pole... hate hate hate!

Cheers,
    Chris

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

It's a rarely used colloquialism. It means "Shame on you." I'm bringing it back. That and hammer pants.

dude.. you said colloquialism ?!?!?! WTF?!?!?

go practice wheelies and then drink til you puke, then drink more to redeem yourself.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Littering and........

I'm afraid that hammer pants won't EVER be coming back. And even if they did, Hammer never knew how to use the English language as beautifully as you...

Everybody to the limit!

Originally posted by oreo_n2
    dude.. you said colloquialism ?!?!?! WTF?!?!?

go practice wheelies and then drink til you puke, then drink more to redeem yourself.

Yes, sir. Sorry, sir.

I can't wheelie sober, is the drinking supposed to help with that?

Yes, sir. Sorry, sir.

yes

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Lifer

Two stroke dirt bikes - No problem with complete bike/engine/transmission rebuilds.

Four stroke street bikes - everything but transmissions and tire changes. So far I haven't had to dig too deep into the CBR. Oil changes, and a cam chain lift.

And FWIW I don't think Hammer pants will ever come back...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Yes, sir. Sorry, sir.

yea, it hurts less when you loop it!

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Everybody to the limit!

I think this thread has been officially bastardized

Let this be a lesson to you Ben, to never again forget the bemused option. He may be gone to oregon, or montana, or wyoming or whatever (it doesn't matter, they're all the fucking same anyway) but he will always live on in our hearts. And minds. And polls. And mystery squid's pants.

I think this thread has been officially bastardized

Let this be a lesson to you Ben, to never again forget the bemused option. He may be gone to oregon, or montana, or wyoming or whatever (it doesn't matter, they're all the fucking same anyway) but he will always live on in our hearts. And minds. And polls. And mystery squid's pants.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

I know what "for shame" means....I was asking what you were saying "for shame" in reference to....duh. Guess I shoulda been more precise in phrasing my question...my bad.

I didn't vote, shoulda been a multi answer

The only time anything i own sees a dealership is during the warranty period. I do everything else myself outside of that. I've never had a engine or transmission failure on a bike but if i do, you can bet i'd take it apart and fix it myself

Yamaha

I do it all myself currently replacing exhaust seat,guide,valves in my Bmer

If something falls off at 150 I want to be responsible.

I don't know a way to tell a good mechanic from Crack head Larry the salesmans retarded brother in law

I have bought like 10 new bikes and I always stop a 1/2 mile from where I picked it up. Everyone had something the "prep" man had left loose or wrong only the last Yamaha I got was ok because I think it came from the factory assembled.

When I saw reciepts from this BMW repair I would have to get out if I was paying that ie Fork seals installed were like $650

Evrybody's got to eat but holy cougly mougily

Yes BENVFR
    First if you have the variable valve timing I hear that is a horror show. but provides no benefit to you.

I know in your universe you would want to make sure that only

FEDERALY LICENSED MOTORCYCLE MECHANICS
    be allowed to touch repairs and after they had filled out an EPA impact application

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

LOL LOL

Go Big Red! ( Nebraska Chant! )

Oil & filter
    Clutch Bleed / Brakes
    Rim swaps
    Chain / Sprockets

add gas. Twist the wrist......GO FAST
    -Suf Daddy

Originally posted by bigred875
    nice poll....should made it multiple choice

Suf Daddy.

Lifer

Originally posted by richw
    First if you have the variable valve timing I hear that is a horror show. but provides no benefit to you.

I know in your universe you would want to make sure that only

FEDERALY LICENSED MOTORCYCLE MECHANICS
    be allowed to touch repairs and after they had filled out an EPA impact application
    It is supposedly not much harder than older VFRs, which are already a PITA. It just takes longer so it's more expensive if you pay the shop to do it.. FWIW mine pollutes more than stock.

I may eventually do the valves myself but I want to do it on a simpler bike first. And they only need to be done every 16,000 miles so it's not going to happen anytime soon. I don't exactly find maintenance fun. I'd rather ride.

Everyone is going to love VTEC when they stick it on a CBR. It'll be just as much of a PITA to work on but they'll set up the cam for performance rather than economy and all the squids will love it.

By no mean am I a pro. There are many on this site with much more robust skills than I have. I am just inquisitive. My love affair with motorcycles drives that. One of the reasons I try (when I can) to support the NESR racers. I do what anyone on hear should do...read. I look at a project from a cost/benefit mindset. I will do 90% of the work in the poll, but I have yet to crack the cases on a motor or screw with gearboxes (outside of spring changes have fairly limited experience with suspension...I too rely on Mr. Kates for help). It does interest me though so I read up on it. Best advice, buy books. I can recommend 2 in particular....Haynes publishes a Motorcycle Fuel Systems Techbook written by the late John Robinson (very well written). An abundance of information. There is also a Electrical TechBook published by Haynes which i cannot remember the author...but also very informative. I just bought an XR650R and before I had 10 miles, I had a "copy" of the service manual via ebay (another good piece of advice). I'm rambling now, but I guess the moral is be inquisitive.

Mark (greenmonster). It is not uncommon for the automatic chain tensioners to fail. Some recommend a manual tensioner, but I would just replace the auto unit after about 10k or a long season of serious flogging. It is a $40-50 part off bikebandit.com and will give you peace of mind. I would have serious doubts that the camchain will catastrophically fail but it will get sloppy and could screw with timing if neglected enough. The best bet would to be proactive and replace the tensioner (very easy to do) and check for slack in the cam chain. I've got your same 9r motor and in the ZX7 framespars it is easy access (not sure about the 9r chassis interfering with its removal). You should also check those valve clearances. The head on the 94-97 and 91-95 ZX7 and 9's are identical castings. Shim-over-bucket actuation (tit for valve checks...no cam removal). I have also had issues with cam chain guides...in particular the little guide that attaches to the valve cover. Mine had degraded over time and shreds had broken off...fortunately the pickup screen in the sump did its job and I was able to remove the shit outta it. This was caught before I enountered a oil starvation issue). I am going to be flatout for a few weekends now but I will lend an e-hand when ever needed.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Oil, plugs, SS brake lines (new fluid), clutch fluid, air filters, electrical.

I'll be troubleshooting a no charge issue that crept up luckily on the last day of riding to where I am storing the bike Its a new battery so I know its the charging system.

I'm also going to get the wheels off and get my new Pilot Powers put on. Sprokets and new chain too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast