Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Mass inspection for 2 stroke dB

Mass inspection for 2 stroke dB

Hey guys,
    Moving to mass next year. Wondering how the inspection process is for dirt bikes. In ct, since ktm doesn’t stamp the title off road use only, so registration is just a paperwork process to plate my 300 xcw. I can’t see that working with mass, so what do you guys do? Add blinkers, lights , horn, dot knobs, etc? I guess an option is an off-road registration, but that would limit my from the house riding which would suck. Appreciate any advice for those that have gone through it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: Mass inspection for 2 stroke dB

At the very least you will need to add all street accessories. Lights, blinkers, reflectors, mirrors, gauges etc. You may not need to add gauges , I'm not sure.

Title should be able to be gotten using the ct reg but they may fight you if the mass system shows it as off road only, which I think it will.

I've never been sound checked but it is within insoection rights to have it done. It all depends on where you go really.

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    At the very least you will need to add all street accessories. Lights, blinkers, reflectors, mirrors, gauges etc. You may not need to add gauges , I'm not sure.

Title should be able to be gotten using the ct reg but they may fight you if the mass system shows it as off road only, which I think it will.

I've never been sound checked but it is within insoection rights to have it done. It all depends on where you go really.
    I'm going through the process myself. Gonna need something like this clicky plus mirrors to get to street legal status.

Last edited by Wayne-o; 01-28-20 at 03:57 AM.
    Life is a challenge. You can take the risk and experience it, or sit back and watch it go by. I choose to experience it. (W.L.Heath)

Fear is the incubated subjective perception of the inevitable.

not sure what they will actually call you on but here is the official info...

540 cmr 4.06
    https://www.mass.gov/doc/540-cmr-4-a...icles/download

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

High maintenance priss

You will need the title to register. If the title states Motorcycle (and no indication of "off road use only") then I would think you should have no problem getting a plate; other folks have indicated that this is the case.

Inspection: what Point37 said. Will need lights, horn, DOT tires, high-beam indicator, etc... An OEM/DOT (?) approved pipe is part of this requirement, but depends how strict the particular inspection station is.

Last edited by keeena; 01-29-20 at 01:20 PM.

Thanks guys. Probably sell the 300 to my aunt or something to keep the ct plate and avoid inspection. Want to pic up a 500 exc at some point which comes with the street stuff already.

rides bikes

Pro tip: just don't get an inspection

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Can you register without inspection?

rides bikes

Yeah

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    Can you register without inspection?
    Yes but they have been threatening for years to start enforcing registration through inspection. Last I heard they were planning on giving you a 1 week grace period when you register your bike to get your inspection done or they would cancel your reg. I dont think it's been formally passed but it has been discussed.

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Yes but they have been threatening for years to start enforcing registration through inspection. Last I heard they were planning on giving you a 1 week grace period when you register your bike to get your inspection done or they would cancel your reg. I dont think it's been formally passed but it has been discussed.
    They do give you the 1 week grace period when you register, but don't actually enforce it.

The only problem I've ever had with not being inspected is with Boston meter maids. Throw a cover on your bike and it's a non-issue.

Nope, they don't cancel your reg.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Sweet. Thanks guys.

I've had Massachusetts registered 2 stroke dirt bikes since 2014. I've never got an inspection. I rarely ride them on the street, really only for enduro events a few times a year, but it hasn't been a problem yet.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

These registered but not inspected dirtbikes people are riding in MA are they also insured as they would need to be for the street reg in MA?

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    These registered but not inspected dirtbikes people are riding in MA are they also insured as they would need to be for the street reg in MA?
    CT insurance is required. I would think Mass is the same.

rides bikes

Yeah you actually need insurance to register in MA

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

CT insurance is required. I would think Mass is the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    Yeah you actually need insurance to register in MA
    I guess my question was more geared to how insured, financial wise, the bikes are.

Having not owned a dirt bike that cost enough to make it worth insuring as of yet it crossed my mind that some people might be paying a lot of money for liability and theft insurance to have a dirt bike that can ride between trails once in a while. Even just getting the minimums for liability in MA can cost a pretty penny.

Having an $8-13k dirt bike would make me want to have comprehensive as well so I am sure it could add up.

I guess my question was more geared to how insured, financial wise, the bikes are.

Having not owned a dirt bike that cost enough to make it worth insuring as of yet it crossed my mind that some people might be paying a lot of money for liability and theft insurance to have a dirt bike that can ride between trails once in a while. Even just getting the minimums for liability in MA can cost a pretty penny.

Having an $8-13k dirt bike would make me want to have comprehensive as well so I am sure it could add up.
    I have my new tacoma sport plus 2 ducatis and the 2019 KTM 6 days for $1200.00/yr. I dont think it will be a lot more when I get the 2020 KTM 150.

Last edited by Wayne-o; 02-04-20 at 06:18 PM.
    Life is a challenge. You can take the risk and experience it, or sit back and watch it go by. I choose to experience it. (W.L.Heath)

Fear is the incubated subjective perception of the inevitable.

rides bikes

You only need comprehensive (theft, etc) in MA if you’re financing. If you own outright you only need to have liability. For reference, most of my bikes are about $100/year liability only. RC8 is more like $500 for obvious reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne-o View Post
    I have my new tacoma sport plus 2 ducatis and the 2019 KTM 6 days for $1200.00/yr. I dont think it will be a lot more when I get the 2020 KTM 150.
    Your insurance is fucking cheap.

Lifer

I don't see how you could do it without insuring it unless you're really bending some rules. You'd need proof of insurance at time of registration, and I thought MA insurers automatically notified the RMV upon cancellation of insurance, which invalidated the registration. Unless insurers typically don't bother with that step?

There's been talk of linking inspection dates to registrations for years, but I've yet to hear of it happening.
    I guess an option is an off-road registration, but that would limit my from the house riding which would suck.
    If you plan to ride the woods at all in MA, you are required to have the OHV registration. Even if it has a street plate on it, and even if it's authorized private property usage. In my opinion, it's basically an oversight in the way they wrote the law. But that's how it's on the books.

As obnoxious as our OHV laws may be, the OHV sticker does grant a couple legal spots in MA. So we got that going for us.

You ride any NETRA or JDay events?

nedirtriders.com

Netra, usually turkey runs. Was in btra and would arrow or sweep the mudslinger enduro. That membership lapsed. Ohv expired as well since I wasn’t riding up there much.