Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Why isn`t this video coming out better

Why isn`t this video coming out better

I did this video with a GoPro HD set for 1080p. Helmet mount. Daytime video. I just feel like no matter what setting I use its not real clear like HD should be. Any ideas?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Re: Why isn`t this video coming out better

Did you click on the thing that looks like a flower in the bottom right corner and select the 720P option? It made it alot clearer on my laptop, maybe not as good as you were hoping but better that it was originally.

Joel

Lifer

I'd agree that even watching on youtube's 720p, it still looks overly compressed compared to other GoPro stuff I've seen (and I mean amatuer uploads, not their promo stuff). I don't have a go-pro, nor am I familiar with the process of getting the video off it and on to youtube.... but is there any chance you are taking it and processing it, or editting it, with some sort of program? IF so, that is where your problem happens. Any kind of picture or video, after editting will re-compress it, causing degredation in quality. To try and keep this as non-nerd friendly here's a simple though minorly inaccurate description: if a compression system (JPEG, GIF, DIVX, and MPEG are all types of picture/video compression) costs you 20% of the quality, each time you edit and save, you are likely to lose 20% again on whatever 80% picture/video you editted.

nedirtriders.com

I am Dead now

If you can hook up a HDMI cable to your 1080P TV you should then see the quality you are looking for. You are limited by Youtube right now, I was only able to select 720P on the "settings" gear at the bottom right of the screen. It wouldn't let me select full screen mode like I can do with other peoples videos.

On my laptop I can plug in my plasma TV HDMI cable & watch it on my TV as I have a second video output, but I'm not sure if it will come out as 1080P as your max on the settings was 720P. I'll try it and let you know what happens.

I am Dead now

Well it came out as a 1080P output on my plasma. You just won't see that on your computer unless you have that capability.

That certainly helps explaining what`s happening. If I download an un edited video from my sd card directly to youtube the quality should be better if I`m getting this. I use the Windows Movie Maker on a PC 3.3 G processor 8 DDR Ram and a terabite HD. Maybe I need better video editing software? I hook up the camera directly to my TV and get 1080 p and great quality. Thanks everyone!

Lifer

You either need to figure out how to get movie-maker not to compress the video so much, or use different software.

Be aware that the less compression applied to the video, the better it will look, but the larger the file sizes will be and the bigger pain in the ass it will be to upload to youtube and the like.

If someone knows optimal settings to get HQ video up to youtube with reasonable upload sizes/times, I'm all ears.

In the past I've used Virtual Dub, although I'm not sure how well it works with the mp4 format of GoPros.

I have also heard that Vegas Movie Studio works fantastically to edit and compress GoPro videos, while maintaining the excellent quality. You have to buy that, though. It's about $50-60.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by ZX11D View Post
    That certainly helps explaining what`s happening. If I download an un edited video from my sd card directly to youtube the quality should be better if I`m getting this. I use the Windows Movie Maker on a PC 3.3 G processor 8 DDR Ram and a terabite HD. Maybe I need better video editing software? I hook up the camera directly to my TV and get 1080 p and great quality. Thanks everyone!
    You certainly have the proper computer and the space for doing a little video editting, so shouldn't be much concern there.

You're probably going to find a whole bunch of software on the web that costs a little money, but I suspect if you're just trying to retain quality and do some basic editting like shorten the video, or add a soundtrack, there should be something out there for free. Quite a bit of forums and tutorials on this topic. But this might still be possible in Movie Maker. Might just be a settings issue. Poke around in the settings, and maybe use this to give you an idea of what you're looking for http://www.hupitgaming.com/forum/16-...ws-movie-maker You want to open/import the video using it's original format, you do not want to convert it to anything else. When you are done editting, you want to save it as the highest possible quality.

nedirtriders.com

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Infuse)

Piratebay.se for the software.

I am pretty sure YouTube auto configures your video based on upload quality. With that being said make sure that your YouTube account is fully "upgraded" to do stuff. I had to confirm a cellphone and email and junk to get over 10 mins and HD quality. This was a while ago tho.

Lifer

My understanding is that youtube will often reduce the quality on upload, especially for the lower-res versions, obviously.

However, if you upload something compressed to a blocky mess, youtube cannot magically make it better. Garbage in, garbage out.

Finding the balance between getting something as small as possible and yet still HQ enough to look good is the goal. Ideally one would look to finish with exactly the same settings youtube's best quality compresses to. This would, theoretically, mean youtube doesn't even need to process your upload.

I'm still trying to figure out this balance, myself. I am not even close.

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Infuse)

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba
    My understanding is that youtube will often reduce the quality on upload, especially for the lower-res versions, obviously.

However, if you upload something compressed to a blocky mess, youtube cannot magically make it better. Garbage in, garbage out.

Finding the balance between getting something as small as possible and yet still HQ enough to look good is the goal. Ideally one would look to finish with exactly the same settings youtube's best quality compresses to. This would, theoretically, mean youtube doesn't even need to process your upload.

I'm still trying to figure out this balance, myself. I am not even close.
    If you want 1080p on youtube the number after the X in your resolution has to be higher than 1080...

You should try to edit frame rate or bit rate to try to reduce size.

Wow! Lots to learn I guess. Thanks everyone for all the usefull input. I 'm gonna try a few things suggested and see how it works. Thanks again.

You left your directional on for a loooooong time.

I noticed that too. Da