Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Massachusetts inspection questions

Massachusetts inspection questions

I've got a new bike and transferred my plate from the old one, which has a current inspection sticker. The new bike changed hands between dealerships a few times before I got a hold of it, so it is technically "used" and I need to have it inspected within a week. What happens if I do not and I am pulled over? Would the police be able to access records which showed this inspection sticker is for a different bike, or are the inspection records tied to a registration number rather than a vin? For that matter, are there records at all?

The other question I have is whether this thing would pass inspection should I put a new full exhaust replacement on it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Massachusetts inspection questions

The sticker is tied to a vin#. That said, im willing to bet a box of crispy creams that not a single cop would ever check that. They would check reg to see if its inspected 100 times before they check inspection sticker # to the vin.

Mmmmmmm.....crispy creams..

Oh, sorry...i was distracted by the thought of yummy donuts. Yes it will pass with exhaust on it.

Quote Originally Posted by rpete View Post
    I've got a new bike and transferred my plate from the old one, which has a current inspection sticker. The new bike changed hands between dealerships a few times before I got a hold of it, so it is technically "used" and I need to have it inspected within a week. What happens if I do not and I am pulled over? Would the police be able to access records which showed this inspection sticker is for a different bike, or are the inspection records tied to a registration number rather than a vin? For that matter, are there records at all?
    last inspection date and pass/fail status is at the bottom of the registration data screen in cjisweb (not sure about private systems). the inspection field will be blank (indicating uninspected) for a new or transferred registration until it's been completed.

- Jamie
    2009 K 1300 S

Quote Originally Posted by drop View Post
    last inspection date and pass/fail status is at the bottom of the registration data screen in cjisweb (not sure about private systems). the inspection field will be blank (indicating uninspected) for a new or transferred registration until it's been completed.
    What he said...

and technically the modified exhaust if is louder then stock is illegal and if a shop ACTUALLY followed the inspection guidelines would fail it... real world though... it would pass... but that doesn't mean someone couldn't decide someday to write you for it... however rare that may be...

Thanks for the informative replies, seems like the risk of a moving violation is too great to be lazy with this.