Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Sticking rear brake

Sticking rear brake

Well as per oreo's suggestion I figured I'd see if you guys had any insight on my problem.

On the SV650 I picked up as a track bike the rear brake seems to be sticking (I know most people don't use the rear brake on the track, but I'm OCD and trying to fix it lol) so you push down and it won't go all the way back up. When it's still down the brake is definitely still on. I don't know if when the bikes moving it will ease it off a bit more, but I definitely had to get my foot under the pedal and pick it back up the few times I've ridden it.

I'm pretty sure it's not the mechanism and the fluid is full. I just bled it and that didn't work. Any other suggestions on what to check for? Should I just take the entire assembly apart and clean it?

Oh it's a woodcraft rearset too it doesn't have a return spring which I've been told is normal for it. I've also been told it could just be normal since it's cold and I know the owner before me didn't use the rear brake very much and that maybe the pedal isn't coming back up, but the brake will release when it's moving.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Sticking rear brake

i bet your master cylinder is all gooed up. has it been sitting for a while?

does it have a provision for the return spring? just throw one on there

I'm a little confused based on your description...is it the pedal or the caliper that sticks? Both?

If it's the pedal only, I'd say see what a spring does for ya.

If it's the caliper, then I'm guessing a rebuild wouldn't hurt.

Also, if the previous rider used DOT5 fluid that can certainly cause problems for the entire system.

DOT5 will def destroy seals. I would take the master apart and see what the 'piston/seal' look like

Not sure what is in there. The pedal/caliper stick at least when it's cold/not moving. If I lift the pedal back up manually though the caliper no longer sticks.

Do you have aftermarket brake lines? That will change the point of contact with the position of the lever. I had the same shit. At first i thought the spring had gone limp but it looked fine, and also the focal point or hinger or whatever might need some WD40

if it slows you down when you press it, and doesn't slow you down when you dont press it, then buy some french fries.

Just Registered

Biggity,
    did you ever use the rear brake?

When I first mounted my Woodcraft rearsets on my CBR, it was slightly off from stock.

Ultimately, the change caused the brake to be slightly pressed. When I got up to speed, the slight pressure caused things to heat up, and it got worse.

Simple fix was to thread the rear brake cylinder adjuster up further... giving more freeplay. Mine doesn't have a spring return either... just the pressure from the cylinder is enough to keep it off.

YMMV...

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com