Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I need mechanical skills

Re: I need mechanical skills

I agree that the best way to learn is through some hands-on practice: whether it be a lawnmower, dirtbike, etc. The key is to have something already complete and running. Also, try finding a manual for the equipment you're working on. The Honda and Suzuki manuals I have are really good as a reference. I find myself reading them just for fun sometimes. You'll soon learn that working on many machines are very similar, but there are certain specific tools/procedures for some jobs.

I also agree with what was said above about dealing with bolts. This is something that comes with experience. My general method is to use a torque wrench when the bolt is large (chassis bolts like axles, shocks, etc.), "critical" for function (head bolts, fork pinch bolts, etc.), but tend to use my instinct and feel for other bolts especially smaller ones (anything with plastic threads, ornamental pieces like bodywork). For ratchet/sockets: try to use the size appropriate for the bolt size. For example: for smaller bolts use a 1/4" drive ratchet and hold your hand over the "head" of the ratchet kind of choking up on it to avoid overtightening. For medium size bolts use a 3/8" drive, and larger bolts use a 1/2" drive. Shouldn't need anything bigger than 1/2" unless you're working on heavy duty machinery. Get a breaker bar for bolt removal too, which will help prevent busted knuckles, as long as you have room to swing it. Be aware of materials/designs of the bolts/threads. Softer metals will strip easier, less threads will strip easier, phillips head screws will strip easier than Allen heads, etc.

As suggested above, start with the maintenance stuff first then move onto more complex jobs as you gain experience and confidence. Read how-to's, watch videos, and just ask questions on forums before perfoming anything you're unsure of. It can save a lot of trouble. Be patient and take a break if you get stuck on something. If not, you'll spend more time fixing a mistake than you would have if you just waited for some advice or to get the proper tool for the job. Use PB Blaster or similar on stuck/corroded bolts in advance of trying to remove them. A little heat from a propane torch can go a long way in helping free stuff up, but be careful around aluminum and plastic (to not distort or change their mechanical properties) and fuel sources, of course. Vise grips are good to have around, but only use them when you don't have the correct wrench/socket and you'll be able to replace the nut/bolt with a new one.

Over time you'll learn more about the finer details about machinery. Things like which sealers to use (don't use regular old RTV sealer for stuff in contact with fuel or high temp stuff like exhausts), when to use Loctite and which strength (use Blue, temporary variety for fasteners that will see a lot of vibration or are saftey related and that you'll be removing at some point), cotter pins, what parts to grease or use assembly lube on.

In addition to putting bolts back where they came from as you disassemble and laying out the parts in order, use zip lock bags and label them. I like to keep subassemblies separate. You always think that you'll remember the parts and where they go, but projects get put on hold and you'll forget. So take pictures and stay organized. Good luck!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by stanga5o; 09-27-13 at 12:39 PM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    Wow thanks for all the responses guys. I think I will go the snowblower/mower route to start.

Aside from tools, I think I will also need a decent workbench.
    You don't need one. They're great, and I'm sure you'll want one and benefit from having it. If you have the cash go for it. But if you're cash strapped, a cheap folding table or a piece of cardboard on the floor will get the job done.

Snowblower's a good start but keep an eye out for a good deal on a bike as the weather gets colder. I bet you'll graduate quickly. This stuff mostly isn't rocket science, especially if you're willing to be patient, do your reading first, and accept the possibility of fucking shit up.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by stanga5o View Post
    In addition to putting bolts back where they came from as you disassemble and laying out the parts in order, use zip lock bags and label them. I like to keep subassemblies separate. You always think that you'll remember the parts and where they go, but projects get put on hold and you'll forget. So take pictures and stay organized. Good luck!
    This is one of those things that is really important, especially if you are doing something for the first time, and even more so if you are going to have to do something like wait on parts to be delivered.

Example:
    I need mechanical skills-img_20130421_185607-jpg

Nothing about forks is really hard, but it was my first time into a set, so as I took them apart I layed them out in the order that stuff comes apart in.

As part of this I was replacing the bushings and seals, but left the old ones there until the new ones came in.

Don't just put stuff down, put stuff down with a purpose .

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    This is one of those things that is really important, especially if you are doing something for the first time, and even more so if you are going to have to do something like wait on parts to be delivered.

Example:
    I need mechanical skills-img_20130421_185607-jpg

Nothing about forks is really hard, but it was my first time into a set, so as I took them apart I layed them out in the order that stuff comes apart in.

As part of this I was replacing the bushings and seals, but left the old ones there until the new ones came in.

Don't just put stuff down, put stuff down with a purpose .
    definitely, also keeping things to their respective sides, and also when looking at micro fiche's helps save time!

Quote Originally Posted by timmyho414 View Post
    here is one video I like...
    That video was pretty bomb, thanks! Just shared it with a bunch of people including some coworkers (we make a lot of educational animations, nothing this slick though). (Yet.)

When I dismantled the kitchen cabinets a few years ago, I put them on CL for free. A young guy took them all for storage for his garage. And my workbench is actually a section of the 45-year old original cabinetry.

Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

workbench? why not just use a clean open table that you can get for cheap/free?

and I don't recommend lawnmower...you can't even have fun with it when it's done!

I recommend a 2 stroke MX dirtbike...much simpler than a 4 stroke...and the MX bikes are free of all lights/horns/electrical crap. It's just a motor, suspension, frame, and wheels. You can pull the motor out with only basic hand tools (plus a $15 flywheel puller), then get the case halves apart with a mallet, and have the crankshaft pushed out and pulled back in with the tusk crank tools ($120). Plus when that runs, you'll near wreck yourself everytime, but it'll be fun!!

just set a budget and stick to it...full rebuilds RARELY make your money back...go into it for the knowledge, not for money!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-27-13 at 10:43 PM.

Right on man. I rebuilt a 2 stroke a few years ago and learned a ton, but it cost a lot since I decided to basically do a complete restoration. I actually bought one that wasn't running since I had never rebuilt a motor before (bottom end anyway). Due to the money, I recommend buying something already running and in good mechanical shape.

I also realized how much I still have to learn.

If anyone cares for a detailed account of my rebuild it's here:
    http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/834...ild-part-1-of/

Yep...including purchase price of the bike, I was into it about $3,500...which would've bought a really nice newer bike...but nobody rebuilds for money, it's about the experience & knowledge!

Although...we should post a "pics of my rebuild" thread...I'd like to see projects that others had put together!

Do you REALLY want me to dredge up pics of my WR from when I purchased it to it's current state?

If you want a tinker toy, get a pitbike. 400billion places to get parts from, dirt cheap, and if you screw it up really bad you can replace the whole motor for $300. You can build from mild to stupid, road warrior, dirt donk, cafe, classic superbike, whatever you want to make out of it.

You can get my dirt pit bike for $550 and it needs the valves adjusted so you have your 1st project

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Now I'm thinking moped for hitting the mean streets of Providence. Gotta look into the requirements for getting one on the road. I "commute" about 5 minutes down the hill to work, but will be walking every day once the bike goes into hibernation.

PS, there exists what can only be described as a scooter gang in Providence. Chrome german helmets and everything. I have witnessed a few of their rides, they have a solid group of 10-15.

Scooter trash will lead to perdition

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

I have had good luck getting tools at flea markets and yard sales, usually for pennies on the dollar. Stick to brand names and u really cant go too far wrong. You can even find some of the specialty/oddball tools with a bit of looking.

So this never really happened last year due to lack of motivation once the temperature got below freezing. I have a better workspace this year so I started craigslisting for things with wheels under $500. Today I picked up a non-running '92 gs500 for $300, Haynes manual included. Let the struggles begin...

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

take your before pics and stock a fridge w' at least 100 cans of beer

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Lifer

That's not a dirt bike.

For $300 in the condition its in, it would have been irresponsible not to buy it. I would have felt like a bad NESRian. And it won't affect the dirt bike search.

no, but he did follow the NESRian code of conduct: just buy it already!!

next: $1000 dirtbike budget - $300 GS = $700 dirtbike

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    I will also need a decent workbench
    I made a home made workbench over 30 years ago, that is still as solid as when i built it and I have moved it several times

very simple construction, I happened to use rough cut hemlock beams I had handy but a good stat would be 3 12 foot PT 4"x6"s and a sheet of 3/4" hardwood plywood

construct a 8' x 2½' outside dimension box with the 4"x6"s (6" side showing vertically) lag bolt it together, with the 3rd 4"x6" cut it into 4 legs and carriage bolt them to the frame, cut the plywood into a 2½ x 8 and 1½ x 8 pieces, use the 2½ one for the top, and the 1½ one for a backstop

its rugged enuf, you can put all kinds of weight on it, beefy enuf frame to bold on a good size vice, etc., wanna move it, take it apart

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

First clue from the previous owner. This was the last time he had it running. Thoughts?

Lifer

Vac leaks maybe?
    I think I'd start with rebuilding the carbs. It clearly has spark, so the ignition system is fine. All you need is fuel and spark. Fix the fuel delivery part.

Leaks, leaks somewhere. Either diaphram, vent, carb cap, sync port, somewhere there is a leak.

On a bike with carbs always start there. Also clean petcok, vac operated fuel pump. Search for vacuum leaks, sync carbs. Basically anything to do with fuel system.

Word of advice though, keep it simple, trouble shoot the simplest thing first.

Oh and get some new plugs for it too just in case, switch those out last.

Clean the airfilter. This is all coming from experience on my track bike, small engine stuff, and friends bikes.

After I rebuild the carbs, do I need to reattach the airbox to test them? I will just be sitting in my garage shooting WD40 at it to find the leak(s). Will my bike 'splode?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast