Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mini Rant on Rider Entitlement

Mini Rant on Rider Entitlement

I apologize in advance for this, but I just need to vent a little. Driving home today in the car (still a car guy at heart), I was pulling out from a parking lot, taking a left into traffic. Light turned red and lady stopped in her SUV (in far lane) to let me in front of her. Made sure no one was coming in the nearest lane, and started pulling out. All of a sudden, this asshat, riding a Harley and wearing a piss pot, jeans, and t-shirt, pulls out from 1-2 cars behind her, missing me by an inch. He stops, pulls along side me, and begins telling me how that was "a dumb thing to do." He then proceeds to travel in the left turn only lane, to the front of the line of cars, and goes straight when the light turns green. In essence, he's saying that I should have expected him to suddenly pull out to cut an entire line of cars, and further, should have yielded for him to do so.

What is with the sense of entitlement some riders have? This isn't the first time I've seen it either. Every day, riders on 95 during rush hour, wearing not even long sleeves, weaving on the white lines through stop and go traffic, or in the breakdown lanes, like it's completely normal. Rolling through stop signs expecting cars to allow them to just let them go at a 4-way. It seems that ever day I encounter more riders who have some sense of entitlement. They seem to forget that they're bound by the same laws that apply to all motor vehicles, and the same common sense that's expected (desired) from all people. Whats more, you'd think that a person riding a motorcycle, more susceptible to injury, would have self-preservation instincts take hold, and be more cautious, not reckless. Just amazes and to a degree, upsets me, me the level of stupidity I see on a daily basis, and how no one else seems to object to it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Agree

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Some people are douches? Who knew.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Re: Mini Rant on Rider Entitlement

Quote Originally Posted by camhabib View Post

What is with the sense of entitlement some riders have? This isn't the first time I've seen it either. Every day, riders on 95 during rush hour, wearing not even long sleeves, weaving on the white lines through stop and go traffic, or in the breakdown lanes, like it's completely normal. Rolling through stop signs expecting cars to allow them to just let them go at a 4-way. It seems that ever day I encounter more riders who have some sense of entitlement. They seem to forget that they're bound by the same laws that apply to all motor vehicles, and the same common sense that's expected (desired) from all people. Whats more, you'd think that a person riding a motorcycle, more susceptible to injury, would have self-preservation instincts take hold, and be more cautious, not reckless. Just amazes and to a degree, upsets me, me the level of stupidity I see on a daily basis, and how no one else seems to object to it.
    Asshat motorcyclists (aka Squids) are nothing new. There's just more of them now, due to gas prices and such.

That's not to say I'm not objecting to how other riders are riding. It's the whole crazy weaving/speeding in traffic/stupidity thing that gives riders a bad image.

This "bad image" that's given to riders makes most cagers not feel so bad about playing road vigilante. Just like the brat in NH, or the redneck pickup-driver in Kentucky.

That's why I'm glad to be a part of a forum that has strict rules for group rides, including wearing full gear and stopping for kids selling lemonade. Part of the reason these rules exist is to separate us from the rest of the idiots on two wheels.

Last edited by Rossco; 06-06-11 at 12:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!

There is something wrong with speeding and passing?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

being younger i tend to get a certian look from drivers but even as a proud owner of an aftermarket pipe, i hate those guys who scream through quiet towns at 1am and wake up kids, makes us all look like tools

But loud pipes mean you don't have to learn how to ride!

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride would do.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    There is something wrong with speeding and passing?
    no, especially if you ride in full gear, been on this site for 10 years and have been riding for more than 30 years.

what is speeding? rapidity of movement or action, i never did quite understand the concept.

jim

"Molon labe"

OK, yeah fine, empty(ish) road, full gear, no problem.

But the morons who weave through rush hour traffic and treat neighborhoods like racetracks are the ones that I refer to.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    OK, yeah fine, empty(ish) road, full gear, no problem.

But the morons who weave through rush hour traffic and treat neighborhoods like racetracks are the ones that I refer to.
    You talking to me, sucka?

Then there are those guys who have the new bike and matching leathers and never go to the track...

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Then there are those guys who have the new bike and matching leathers and never go to the track...
    You must have taken a wrong turn at netrackriders.com.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

Bad things always happen when people give up their Right of Way.

I withessed a bit of rider arrogance yesterday

riding south on 153 in Wakefield, on SUV visible in my rear view, a SUV direcly in front of me, 2 harleys in front of the SUV wearing huge NYC FD colors on the back of their leathers then another separate group of 3 harley baggers all 2 up

then no SUV in my rear view, but a pickup truck with a red light on top flashing, I pulled over, let the emergency vehicle go by as did the SUV directly in front of me, the 2 Harley guys sportin NYCFD colors never pulled over till he blasted his siren over a half mile, the other three musta had too loud of pipes, they never pulled over toll we got to a stoplight almost 2 miles down the road

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

"I hate Illinois Nazi's."

Sam

Since a minimum of 80% of all people are asshats (thats a real stat), its going to translate to asshats on bikes. The sense of entitlement is everywhere not just the road. Big difference is, a sense of entitlement on a bike will get you killed.

There are ass#%^! Out there on motorbikes......can't deny that.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
    08 CBR 1000RR street bike
    99 R6 track bike
    02 F4i sold to a nesr member

Have to say, I've worked really hard to gain and improve rider skills.

But when I get ego involved - pissed off at some guy who cuts in front of me with no signal, or whatever - I start riding like a dumbass.

On the other side of the coin....Bikers are living in a different world than coffee drinking, sandwich eating, texting, youtube watching suv drivers using thier knee to swerve around. Bikers are taking way more risks and have way more at stake also. I ride year round in the big city and if do so responsibly. But I would bet that some old lady somewhere is annoyed by my exestence. It you are "offended" by a biker, but he gets home safely, then I think its a fair trade.

As a cager you dont have more rights to life than a biker just because you are wasting huge resources of steel and gas just to limo yourself around in a hummer (or similar).

If you are scared then just hold your line an 99-100% of the time the biker will be gone in 2 bites of your burger and you will be safe inside your 4000lbs of steel. Really, you're gonna be ok.
    Think of them like birds flying around when you are walking. They are operating on a different plane than you are.
    Bikers are seldom riding "distracted" and wont be in your video game for long.

I learned my lesson about rider entitlement yesterday on the ride home from work.

I came upon a line of 3 cars stopped in my lane, across from the driveway to a major business in the area. Cars turn into and out of that driveway just about every 20 seconds, so I assumed that the lead car was trying to make a left turn into the drive. There was a fairly heavy stream of traffic in the oncoming lane, and it seemed as though the guy would have to wait for a while to make that left. Based on that, I evaluated the situation and passed the 3 cars on the right, giving them a wide berth.

30 seconds down the road, I see blue lights and pull over. The officer informed me that the lead car was not stopped to turn left, but in fact stopped for a pedestrian crossing at the zebra stripe. The pedestrian was already across the street by the time I passed, so I didn't see him/her at the time. Oops!

Luckily, he was receptive to the "ATGATT" motto, and the promise that I am a responsible rider and don't want to get pancaked by an SUV behind me failing to stop when I do. He understood that 90% of the time, someone is turning left in that spot (and that NO ONE in this state seems to understand the purpose of the control stalk to the left of the steering wheel...), but to always watch out for pedestrians. Verbal warning! (And told to get an inspection sticker )

Short story, I felt entitled to pass "turning" cars on the right, and got nicked. Lesson learned!

SVenpointsixtwo
    2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
    2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Have to say, I've worked really hard to gain and improve rider skills.

But when I get ego involved - pissed off at some guy who cuts in front of me with no signal, or whatever - I start riding like a dumbass.
    Yep....there's a big difference between ego and confidence.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

I really, really like the birds and people walking analogy. When im on the bike sometimes I am just token along especially on rural roads (unless they are twisty), but on highways, I dont ride WITH traffic, I ride THROUGH traffic. I'll take speeding tickets all day long happily for doing so if need be. Moving THROUGH traffic keeps me safe, never long in anyones blind spot, and less likely to get merged into or run up on. Im not talking 110. im talking 5 mph faster than the speed of traffic.

I do dislike the entitlement some riders feel to a certain extent sometimes, but hey, its their life, im not worried about the "image of motorcyclists", I could give a crap what someone thinks of me on my bike. I just want to stay in one piece and ride.

that being said, if there is traffic or an asshat in the left lane going slowly, im getting through it/past them.

Don't Fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

NEW STREET/TRACK: 2007.5 Aprilia Tuono
    STREET/TRACK: '08 CBR600RR (SOLD)
    '07 VFR800 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Think of them like birds flying around when you are walking. They are operating on a different plane than you are.
    To extend your analogy, they may be operating differently, but they are both bound by the same laws of physics. That's the point that I'm trying to make. Yes, there are differences, but both bikers and drivers alike are bound by the laws of the road, and should adhere to them. Neither is entitled or privileged to some additional unwritten rights. I agree completely there are too many distracted drivers on the road today, but riding the yellows isn't helping the cause, or making riding any safer.

whose fault is it when a bird smacks into my windshield?

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650
    1972 Honda CL70

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast