Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

minimal trailer with pit bull TRS?

minimal trailer with pit bull TRS?

My Outback shit the bed and I’m replacing it with a newer Impreza wagon. Looking for the lightest utility trailer I could combine with a chock and Pit Bull TRS. Solved problem?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Cat herder

Re: minimal trailer with pit bull TRS?

I tow the ever-popular Harbor Freight folding trailer with my Honda Fit. I use a Condor chock rather than a TRS. Works just fine, though of course with a car that small you'll notice the load going up hills and acceleration is not great. Still gets ~30 mpg when towing.

The trailer carries my bike, paddock stands, ramp, EZ-up and camp chairs, plus the trailer spare and tongue jack. All else goes in the car.

I believe this is the cheapest possible way to get to the track.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails minimal trailer with pit bull TRS?-img_2239-jpg   minimal trailer with pit bull TRS?-img_2238-jpg  

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

In Australia the XV is rated for roughly 2,000 lbs and 300 lb tongue weight: US models always have lower ratings for some reason, probably liability. Think Ken Condon towed a substantial trailer with an XV?

We have the ubiquitous Harbor Freight “Heavy Duty.” But HF has stopped selling kits for the time being.
    Harbor Freight Trailer Containment Thread

Northern Tool sells similar kits, including an aluminum frame model.
    Trailers: ATV, Boat + Utility Trailers | Northern Tool + Equipment

Others have probably fit two Bikes side by side. Condor, bolted through plywood.

May move to a slightly larger aluminum or steel landscape trailer. They are readily available at HD, Tractor Supply etc.

Last edited by Garandman; 12-03-17 at 10:31 AM.

xxaarraa

I have had a pitbull on a HF trailer in the past. The problem with that setup and with a pitbull on any inexpensive/light trailer frame is rigidity. The bike was never stable enough on the TRS because the whole trailer was wobbly, that I still tied it down in the back. The TRS is still helpful since it keeps the bike from walking, but you have to brace it with wood or steel underneath, and it's quite a setup for not 100% gain.

If I were to go with a small open trailer again, I would go with a locking front chock (condor, HF or similar) and just tie down the back.

Cat herder

With the Condor I have no rigidity issues. I should note that the Condor model I have has a wide front beam, so that adds some rigidity.

I use the usual front setup of ratchet straps run through the lower triple tree. On the rear I've set two flush-mount D rings into the deck on either side of the rear wheel. I run a strap through the wheel and those rings, which ensures that the rear won't go anywhere. The rear suspension is unloaded because I'm strapping down the rim only.

The trailer is, of course, HF you-get-what-you-pay-for. But it does have the great benefit of fitting inside my garage.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thanks guys. The Fit tow setup is making me feel a little better, as the Impreza 2.0 reviews all compare the power output (not super favorably) to the Fit 1.6

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

-Jared

Cat herder

If you go that way and want more info on my rig, let me know. It's stored for the winter right now but I can take photos showing more detail once I pull it out for the season next spring.

Lifer

Harbor freight sells a nice, affordable, quite effective, captive front wheel chock. I have two of these mounted on a 4x8 aluminum utility trailer and they work very well. Admittedly this trailer is much more stout than the HF steel cheapie.

In my enclosed trailer I use a pair of pro-hoist removable chocks that look like the HF "economy" chocks but have these clever key-hole base plates. These snap in/out of the trailer easily. I use 4 tie downs with this setup (two off the front bars or forks going forward, two off the rear frame/subframe going back) and it holds the bikes very stable.

I have e-track tie down hooks on the open trailer but use the smaller aircraft style l-track system. I've carried my >500 lbs DL650 in both setups.

HF "economy" chock + some tie-down hooks with four tie-downs would be my suggestion for a "minimal" setup.

I'm not a fan of the TRS setup as I have too many different bikes I want to haul, some dirt/sumos that are not supported by Pit Bull.

I knew y'all would come through with the quality info. Thanks again.

-Jared

HF also has an inexpensive steel stand/chock similar to Condor but $58. Works fine, of course it is heavier.
    1800 Lb. Capacity Motorcycle Stand/Wheel Chock

I ran a TRS on the Harbor Freight trailer for 2-3 years with no issues. Always towed behind some 4-cyl hatchback or sedan.

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle