Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

zūmoŽ 590LM Thoughts

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Question zūmoŽ 590LM Thoughts

zūmoŽ 590LM

anyone have this puppy?

I've got a trip to LV and will want to have real GPS rather than a Cellphone as I probably will get to some dead cell service areas. Its been a while and I think it is time to pick up something.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Re: zūmoŽ 590LM Thoughts

Or you could just download maps offline to your cellphone so connection isn't necessary.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Or you could just download maps offline to your cellphone so connection isn't necessary.
    How do you do that?

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    How do you do that?
    Let me google that for you

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Thanks dick!

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Cell phones still make spectacularly shitty GPSes unless you just want to take a quick route from point A to point B. For some reason, none of the GPS app developers have yet targeted the demographic that needs a more feature-rich GPS. If you want to do any real route planning, a standalone GPS receiver is still the way to go -- and not one of the cheap car units, but a more advanced one such as the Zumo, or an Oregon or Montana.

I've been thinking about the Zumo 590LM myself. It finally brings the Zumo line more or less into feature parity with the more advanced handhelds (my aging Oregon 300 has extensive track recording/following, trip computer, etc features that the Zumos have only had a pale imitation of since their inception). It also has a much larger/higher-res screen than the handhelds. But the drawback is that it costs $800. Or you could get a Montana 600, install the City Navigator map set on it, get mounts for bike and for car, and still spend hundreds less.

If you do want to just stick with your phone, you can look into some of the more advanced GPS apps that store maps onboard instead of accessing them online. Garmin and Tomtom both make their own versions, but the best one I've found in terms of price and features is Copilot (for iPhone; haven't checked to see if there's an Android version, though I'd be surprised if not). Copilot does allow multipoint route creation, but you have to do it on the device -- can't create a route on your computer and upload it to the device, as you can with the Garmin standalones.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Lifer

I'm not sure if the value of a standalone, purpose built/designed GPS unit vs a crappy smart phone with a nav app are what the OP was fishing for. I have an opinion on that-and it may be already illustrated in this very post.

My personal opinion is that the Zumo devices are too expensive. I have mounted Nuvi 25xx and 24xx devices to my motorcycle and am very happy with them. The 24xx I broke in a non-motorcycle related incident. I replaced it with the 25xx series this summer. I carry a ziploc baggie to put over it in case of rain. Does the job and then some.

Features I'd look for include the ability to work with pre-programmed routes like those that Dave shares for his rides. I think lifetime map updates are worth shopping for too. Other than that.

Lifer

Gino,

You're welcome to borrow my 550 as you did before if you decide not to buy

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    My personal opinion is that the Zumo devices are too expensive.
    I wouldn't mind the expense, if they continued to support earlier Zumos, my 450 was obsolete and unsupported by the time it was 2 years old

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

Of course it's obsolete. It's a tech toy. Waddayah expect?!

I'm curious what you mean by "unsupported". I haven't had that issue with my nuvis. I can still get maps for the pos nuvi 200w my mother paid for the lifetime maps bit on umpteen years ago. Accessories are, however, a bit few and far between. And I don't exactly expect them to warranty it or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Of course it's obsolete. It's a tech toy. Waddayah expect?!

I'm curious what you mean by "unsupported". I haven't had that issue with my nuvis. I can still get maps for the pos nuvi 200w my mother paid for the lifetime maps bit on umpteen years ago. Accessories are, however, a bit few and far between. And I don't exactly expect them to warranty it or anything.
    yes, I can get maps, the data format that Garmin uses has not changed, but I cannot get repairs or parts, I have had to resort to aftermarket services that do not guarantee waterproofness and have discovered that my Zumo is no longer waterproof and my touchscreen is failing yet again, 4th time

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Gino,

You're welcome to borrow my 550 as you did before if you decide not to buy

Steve
    Still liking the Bass Ale are you? Thanks Steve. I'll keep you in mind.

as mentioned above the cells a nice for point to point but if I am looking for more customized and optional application (Curvy routs) it seems like the GPSs are the way to roll.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers