Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Exhaust Law in MA?!?!

Exhaust Law in MA?!?!

Hey all, i was wondering if you guys have heard about the new exhaust law in MA staring in 09? Me and my cousin were looking for a car for him and the guy told us about this starting up. I know this doesnt pertain to motorcycles but i know everyone here is from New England and so you guys would know better than anyone. I tried posting on 3si.org but nobody responded. does this law affect motorcycles too? what do you guys think? i had a great exhaust lined up for my 3000gt VR4 but now im thinking "whats the point..." thanks guys

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Banned

Re: Exhaust Law in MA?!?!

At my company we print the inspection stickers for the Commonwealth of MA. Let's just say we have just printed a TON (well over a million) of new style inspection stickers. Watch for them at an inspection station near you. Emissions every year now for most cars.

NO specifics

In California its some big fine to modify any exhaust

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Quote Originally Posted by richw View Post
    NO specifics

In California its some big fine to modify any exhaust
    what do you mean no specifics?

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    At my company we print the inspection stickers for the Commonwealth of MA. Let's just say we have just printed a TON (well over a million) of new style inspection stickers. Watch for them at an inspection station near you. Emissions every year now for most cars.
    Eh I wouldn't worry about emissions now so long as your OBDII port isn't throwing codes. They no longer do a sniffer test because the dynos they had were too expensive to maintain. And for those of us with cars 95 and before, no emission checks anymore!

Friends don't let friends wave to Can Ams

I was told that is illegal to modify an exhaust system...

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

i was under the impression that its illegal to have anything but stock pipes. but everytime i get a sticker all they do is check turn signals and brakes

"Chatbox...It's like Vegas, for your fingers."

Originally Posted by CBR_Knight
    in my own thread, let me post this:
    first of all, nothing about sex or play with a female seems interesting or arousing to me....

"BALLS" is coming home late after a night out with the guys smelling of perfume and beer, lipstick on your collar, slapping your wife on the ass and having the balls to say "you're next!"

it is against the law to alter anything to do with the emissions system on any thing including bikes..this means exaust, installing powercommanders, changing gearing, airfilters, when you see custom choppers with straight pipes or loud exaust systems its ok because they were produced with these exaust systems on them. emissions are a federal law.

Quote Originally Posted by pps216 View Post
    it is against the law to alter anything to do with the emissions system on any thing including bikes..this means exaust, installing powercommanders, changing gearing, airfilters
    exactly how does changing gearing effect emissions? didnt realize my -1/+2 sprockets were causing more damage to the ozone layer

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by DBConz View Post
    exactly how does changing gearing effect emissions? didnt realize my -1/+2 sprockets were causing more damage to the ozone layer
    lower gearing...more revs for the same speed...higher fuel consumption. you're killing whales.

-------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Honclfibr View Post
    As usual, your post displays a complete lacking in any fucking idea what you're talking about.

Hey, at least you're consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Weasel View Post
    lower gearing...more revs for the same speed...higher fuel consumption. you're killing whales.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Weasel View Post
    That is correct. Studies have shown that whales, being big and lame, are the only sea creature affected by the phenomenon of Global Warming. Their blubber insulates them to a point that any increase in temperature causes their brains to boil and explode.

My bike didn't come with any emissions control crap on the exhaust so how would changing my pipes change the emissions?

Unofficial self proclaimed official NESR plumber.

"Ah shit son, datz be a Ducati!"-Random kid in Methuen.

90/16... No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any way which motor vehicle is equipped (1) with a muffler from which the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed and not replaced; or (2) with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust.

if it's louder then stock then technically it's illegal... if it's not too obnoxious and you don't drive it like an a$$ you normally won't have a problem...

90/7U covers motorcycle sound levels and has set decible limits etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Omahastylin16 View Post
    i was under the impression that its illegal to have anything but stock pipes. but everytime i get a sticker all they do is check turn signals and brakes
    i heard about the anything but stock pipe thing is illegal but say your exhaust falls off and you get a new one welded on. technically thats illegal so anything from Midas, meineke, ect.. = illegal

Quote Originally Posted by vince557 View Post
    i heard about the anything but stock pipe thing is illegal but say your exhaust falls off and you get a new one welded on. technically thats illegal so anything from Midas, meineke, ect.. = illegal
    Haha, great, that means the pipes I replaced on my jetta are illegal, woops, hahahaha. Passes inspection just fine though.

1986 Yamaha FZX700S (the original Fazer)

most troopers will stop u for any aftermarket mufflers & cite ya. almost all locals wont. some aftermarket mufflers have legal decibels but with a deeper growl than stock (tanabe, trd, etc). u can always win in court cuz none of the cops will have a decibel meter to record your muffler anyways.

If the pipes are under the noise limit of the state, they are functionally fine.

Go and price out a stock exhaust system and you'll see that it is more $$$ than an aftermarket system. The reason is not because stock is better, its because whatever the manufacturer came up with had to go through all the government red tape to get to you as a buyer to use on state roads. The aftermarket system, which is usually better in a lot of ways than stock, skipped the government channels(and the cost of going through those channels).

The government agency didn't get their money, so they flop themselves on the floor like a toddler throwing a fit.... crying "ILLEGAL!!! ILLEGAL!!"

Quote Originally Posted by vince557 View Post
    Yup most ridiculous law ever. They say the same thing in CT. I've gotten into enough shit with my car over it.