Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So what is the thought on modular helmets? Helmets in general?

Lifer

So what is the thought on modular helmets? Helmets in general?

I know a lot of you guys have some pretty cool and fancy helmets (ie bluetooth etc)... but I for one am new to this helmet craze.

I used to race a lot of cars, so I've always had some helmets that were DOT/SNELL approved, but never really had to worry about wearing them for too long or worried about wind noise etc.

Last season I treated myself to a new helmet since it was my first riding season on a bike. I picked up a KBC VR-1X lightning helmet.. which I read was in the "decent" but not the best, nor the worst helmet to get. I got lucky, and just as I was buying it went on a supersale online.. so I got a smashing deal on a "regular priced $180" down to like $50 shipped to my door.

Actually this is not too bad of a helmet, looked snazzy, comfortable enough, although maybe a little bit of a tight opening for my fat head. No worries, once it's on it fits okay.

I also wear glasses, and 99% of the time I don't want to bother with contacts, although on occasion I do. These helmets fit "okay" with my glasses but not the best. Wind noise is a little bit, and I notice in cold weather there's a lot of air flowing by my chin.

I got a chance to use my friend's lid.. it's an Arai, which I can't remember which model. I did notice road noise/turbulence on the highway was less, and there's a little insert piece on the chin that stopped the airflow at the chin (good for winter, and you can remove it for the summer). I thought it was neat. Only downside was the anti-fog inside his helmet wasn't so good, and it fogged up a tiny bit even on the highway (could be because of the lack of wind with this chin piece).

Anyways.. I have seen these modular helmets when you can flip up the front, and lock in the face piece. I'm told they fit tighter when it's locked, but could be windier? Still, a little easier to do more things like wear glasses I guess..

Are they all that craze, or should I be looking at something else? What makes the big names "better"? Weight sounded like a factor, but the arai felt no lighter...

Thoughts/advice?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: So what is the thought on modular helmets? Helmets in general?

I only use the modular for when I teach. Makes it much easier to talk to students when in the middle of demoing an exercise. I would not wear one on the street because it has not been proven by Snell to work as of yet. I do not notice any wind difference between the modular and the full face.

Last edited by csmutty; 03-11-10 at 02:54 PM.
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Riding slow bikes slower. Wanderer's Avatar

I'm a glasses wearer and love the idea - however the reality irritates the crap out of me. I'm yet to find a vendor that makes one that gives enough space in the chin area to comfortably close the 'face'.

The modular helmets as you call them never appealed to me. A buddy had one and I suppose I can see the point, I don't really have any problem with taking mine on/off as I need to.

I have both, and I prefer the modular for day to day riding. I wear glasses, and I'm a slow "suiter-upper". My friends are usually geared up and waiting for me while I'm fiddling with glasses and straps n' whatnot. The modular is alot better/more convenient for me personally. It is ALOT noisier on the highway. It is a KBC for what it's worth. I didn't use earplugs before the modular, It's mandatory with the modular, IMHO...

2002 RVT1000R
    1998 VFR800Fi
    2002 CR80RB

Id rock this one...

Just ask, Be surprised!

Quote Originally Posted by R1 View Post
    Id rock this one...

how makes this one R1?

Quote Originally Posted by BURZA View Post
    how makes this one R1?
    dont know. i googled it and this was in the image results.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1

without teh stickers this ones pretty cool

There's something contradictory about buying a full face helmet that exposes your entire face.

I'm a glasses wearer as well and haven't had an issue wearing glasses with any full face I've owned.

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

I would wear a modular On a bicycle thats it.

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Quote Originally Posted by BURZA View Post
    how makes this one R1?
    Link to seller store

I see it for sale next to GMax helmets at my local dealer. The site says it was designed by Helmets Inc....

As for the modular helmets, I generally see them on sale alot in the winter for snowmobile people... I don't like them, at all. I'd rather just take my helmet off need be.

However, I would like a bluetooth/speakered helmet so I can listen to music. I dont really think that would be very distracting... and then I could

When I heard the nick name "jaw breakers" that about withdrew all my interest. Was hearing about issues of the helmet poping open upon impact. No thanks

Just Registered

Modulars are a great helmet to wear if you're not going to crash.

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Lifer

Yeah, I read that article which was really good! Looks to me that they *think* that they won't snap open upon impact.

I was just debating if my next helmet should be one of them.. the thoughts of putting it on, sliding it shut is nice and easy for the "glasses wearer" I also saw one model that had this cool little sun shade you can flip down. Reminds me of Top Gun and the fighter pilot helmets. It retains the outer shield, and has a nice sun shield that flips down.

Seeing as my rides almost always steer me towards the highway, I think I'm just going to stick with the full faced solid helmets... Just a thought, there's so many modular helmets that are not only snazzy, but seems priced quite low.

So on to the next question.. what makes the "other" brand names worth their weight in gold? Ie $400+ in pricing?

Quote Originally Posted by rice_rocket View Post
    So on to the next question.. what makes the "other" brand names worth their weight in gold? Ie $400+ in pricing?
    Not that I judge by price, but I bought a Z1R $100 helmet as my first... didn't think much of it. It was a helmet and I didn't know any better. Then I bought a Shoei and fell in love with it, my helmet after that I actually got fitted and ended up with an Arai Profile.... I'll never buy a lower end helmet again. It fits perfectly, is a brand I trust with my life, is light as hell, and I can vouch that I'm willing to take the risk of crashing at high speeds (and have) with it wrapped around my head.

Wear one for a day and you'll see the advantages the nicer helmets bring to the table.

I agree with Ryan. While I haven't had the pleasure of Arai ownership yet, I will say that the instant I put on and rode in my first Shoei I was convinced.

I have a shoei RF1000 that is MUCH quieter than my HJC SymaxII (modular). However, the Shoei fogs easily - can't wear sunglasses unless I pop the shield open a crack. I understand the new shoei (RF1100?) has much improved air flow. I have installed pinlock shields and they help a lot, but the sunglasses fogging drives me nuts.

The SymaxII has a cool flip down sunshield and has so much air (and noise) flowing that fogging is never an issue.

Below 50 degrees, highway or long rides w/infrequent stops, I prefer the Shoei.
    Warmer shorter rides with lots of stops or communication w/helmet on, I prefer the SymaxII - and if I get on the highway with the Symax, I have to put plugs in.

My latest mantra for MA cage drivers
    -- "The rocks in your brain are the gravel in my path" --

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Tilt: HTC-ST7377/1.59.502.3 (67150) Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

just bought a Arai profile from Duncanmoto for a hell of a closeout deal. I had a HJC/joe rocket helmet the dealer fitted me with and lets just say the arai makes me feel like i never used to wear a helmet before.

Arai has different shapes for different heads

Arai has more anti fogging shit then you can shake a stick at

Padding in all the right places

Light as hell

In summary, it feels like i add another layer to my head every time i put my helmet on, I hardley notice i have a helmet on. You pay 400 plus for piece of mind, comfort, and some nice features(graphics )
    I will never go back to anything but an Arai.

old guy with bikes

Being the cheap bastard I am I ride a HJC Symax with a JM head set in it. It fits me very well. Inuse it on Daily commutes and longer rides. I would recommend it. I can't compare it to an Arie haven't used one

Quote Originally Posted by rice_rocket View Post

The quality and fit makes the difference. Go to a dealership and get fitted for an Arai, find out what helmet shape suits you best and get measured for the correct cheek pads and lining. This kind of tailored fit is what makes Arais the best IMO. About the arai you tried, and the fogging issue- did you have your chinbar vent open? I have yet to have fogging issues with my Arai. Arai refuses to make the "modular" helmet, it is considered a big safety hazard and Arai won't do it, not even to make the quick buck and compete with other companies.

USCRA #555 - Formula CB
    http://jro555.tumblr.com/

Lifer

No, the chinbar vent was closed.. it was pretty cold. Still, fogged up a bit.

It certainly was comfy, mostly to me due to the softer material, but otherwise I didn't see/feel much different..

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Tilt: HTC-ST7377/1.59.502.3 (67150) Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

Quote Originally Posted by rice_rocket
    No, the chinbar vent was closed.. it was pretty cold. Still, fogged up a bit.

It certainly was comfy, mostly to me due to the softer material, but otherwise I didn't see/feel much different..
    road a week ago 35 degrees, with no vents but the two on the shield open and the shield button pushed to break the seal.

So unless u make it a point to breath upwards i dont see fogging being an issue. provided your moving ofcourse..

Lifer

Yeah, I only had this problems when getting into slow traffic on the pike, but still going 25mph give or take. I did crack the shield, and I do almost all the time when in city traffic. I just thought it would be "better" in fact, it seemed to fog a little more than my KBC helmet.

I have another friend that says he has an old SHOEI RF-800? and he said I can take it to experiment if I like the sizing etc. Any problem with trying the older models (ie they don't compare to the new ones?)

This is just all spurred on by me wondering what's out there.. when I was on the pike it just seemed that with this new "to me" bike my head got beat around a lot more and it was loud with my helmet. I ordered a double bubble windshield so I hope it breaks wind better for me... but now I think I'm looking at different lids to see what's nice out there.

I can certainly live with the helmet I have now. I'm surprised though that a lot of people said they actually wear ear plugs in addition to the helmet. It must be really loud to me before I'd even consider it, the only time it gets really loud is like.. 90-100mph + , which I certainly wouldn't do for any prolonged period

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast