Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are Modular helmets teh awesome?

Are Modular helmets teh awesome?

A lot of guys who ride a lot, wear modular AKA "flip up" helmets, and they seem to be growing in popularity. Snell even certifies some.

But - why? Do you flip it up rather than take the helmet off, or at stop lights, or? Never worn one, don't unnerstand.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

xxaarraa

Re: Are Modular helmets teh awesome?

I think they have always been popular among the high-miler / motorcycle traveler crowd.

- They are very very convenient especially in hot climates, because you can just flip up and let the face/head breathe.
    - They are also good for talking to and interacting with the world you travel through - e.g., asking for directions, stopping to look at maps, etc.
    - They are easy to flip up with gloves on whereas with traditional full face helmets, you typically have to undo your gloves before you can undo your helmet.
    - Most of them have a flip down smoked shield on the inside, which is awesome, again in hot/sunny climates.

I have a cheap bell flip-up that I like for all the reasons above - a remnant from my street riding days.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xxaarraa; 08-12-17 at 07:29 AM.

Lifer

I have a Shoei Neo-Tec and is rally is great for long distance / multi day rides.

I will flip it up with the integrated sun shield down and the airflow is great when moving more slowly. At speed I find it no different that a traditional full face.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    I have a Shoei Neo-Tec and is rally is great for long distance / multi day rides.

I will flip it up with the integrated sun shield down and the airflow is great when moving more slowly. At speed I find it no different that a traditional full face.
    I have the same helmet. It's awesome and all the advantages already mentioned. My new RF 1200 is barely used now.

I bet it'd be nice to be able to, like, blow my nose at a stop light or drink from a bottle of water without having to take off my lid, but also have the protection of a full-face at speed. I don't think I'd be a fan of the extra weight of the helmet, though.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

I m still looking, been trying them on for years, well over a decade or more, still can't find one that fits my head the way I like (I have an Arai signet head shape) I did find a parfect fitting Fulmer snowmobile helmet, that I wore just one winter season, It was JUNK, it was also the least expensive helmet I ever bought, so I wasn't out much $$. Been a while since I have tried any on, so there are a lot of newer options I haven't tried yet

Where is a good place that stocks a lot of helmets, and has a sales staff that knows their stock, and how to fit a helmet ?

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I'm on year 4 with my HJC and I love the flip up for daily riding. It has actually held up very well for a budget-level helmet. A bit heavy and on the louder side, but I haven't really used any "top shelf" helmets to compare it to. Also makes it a lot easier to put it on with my Buff in the cold months. Retractable visor is awesome. Will be retiring it soon and kind of on the fence about what to get; for high miles especially riding with friends it is damn convenient to have the flip.

It's gotta be safer than this weird rear-entry Voss I've been seeing around:

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

For those of you worried about the extra weight, you forget all the weight you'll be saving by no longer needing to carry condoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    For those of you worried about the extra weight, you forget all the weight you'll be saving by no longer needing to carry condoms.

In your helmet? I thought that was an Eject system?

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Dude, I went from fishing the pond to stocking the pond 20 years ago.....

Swimmers or not, there is nothing more unfuckable than a flipped up modular helmet. May I present, exhibit A:

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

xxaarraa

Swimmers or not, there is nothing more unfuckable than a flipped up modular helmet. May I present, exhibit A:
    That photo used to be the album cover of my online dating profile and got me mad action bro. mad.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 08-12-17 at 03:05 PM.

6 months from now I expect somebody to be doing the humble brag about how much they spent on their modular skull protection.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I've been using modular helmets since shortly after I returned to motorcycling.
    I wear glasses, and it sucks to insert them into a ff helmet.
    With a modular, it's easy - peasy.
    I do LD rides, and it pretty much stays closed.
    I feed my Camelback hose through the open visor.
    Schuberth and Nolan were my preferred helmets. I've got to try a SHOI, next time I buy. They didn't have one when I last bought

Steve

I've had a Shoei Neo-Tec for a few years. It is great to be able flip it open and get some air while stuck in traffic. It's also nice to be able to pop it up to talk to someone. I wear it going into convenience stores if I just need to stop real quick.

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Cages: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel, 2005 Escalade

I like the concept, but I'm not sold on their effectiveness in a face-first impact crash. I remember reading mixed reviews on crash reports on modular helmets maybe ~5 years ago.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    I like the concept, but I'm not sold on their effectiveness in a face-first impact crash. I remember reading mixed reviews on crash reports on modular helmets maybe ~5 years ago.
    At least one model passed the Snell M2015 tests.

My daughter is going to start riding so we can use another helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    At least one model passed the Snell M2015 tests.
    good to hear that Snell finally came up with a standard for modular helmets

doesn't mean that it lives up to the standards for a FF helmet, there are open face helmets that are Snell approved as well, has been for a long time

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    6 months from now I expect somebody to be doing the humble brag about how much they spent on their modular skull protection.
    So the mid-life crisis cure is a modular helmet these days? That's sad in so many ways.....

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    good to hear that Snell finally came up with a standard for modular helmets

doesn't mean that it lives up to the standards for a FF helmet, there are open face helmets that are Snell approved as well, has been for a long time
    Looked Revzilla and Arai and Shoei both have M2015 approved open face helmets. Wonder if open face can meet ECE or BS:6686 [Brits] as well. (ECE - yes).

Some people think Snell will do anything for money,

Last edited by Garandman; 08-14-17 at 03:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    So the mid-life crisis cure is a modular helmet these days? That's sad in so many ways
    Stay out of touch, old man. But don't forget to come back and tell us how much you spent. That's what we're really here for.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Stay out of touch, old man. But don't forget to come back and tell us how much you spent. That's what we're really here for.
    Why you so grumpy? I don't have any choice about being old, but you can chose whether or not you are grumpy.

These should come with as many RAM mount cup holders as the buyer has motorcycles and a $50 Dunkies gift card.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

If it's an Adventure bike, shouldn't that be StarBucks?

Just got a Schuberth C4 and here is my short review.

The helmet sucks

Here is my longer review

The helmet was purchased for my BMW K1600GTL. I wanted a helmet for Bluetooth integration and really don't care about flip up or the drop down sun visor. (Dude just get a Transitions shield) I figured I would try the geek helmet and the SENA built in gear. It works as advertised. The music quality sucks if you listen to music with this set up. Phone works great and surprisingly the other callers don't know you are on a bike if you are at moderate pace <70.

The helmet itself does not deliver any high quality fit and feel. The face shield is plastic and not Lexan. The amount of reflective glare of your face on the inside of the thing is annoying as well as the glare at night. The interior of the helmet is lower grade stuff. It feels rough and not that comfortable as the Bell, Shoei or Arai interior materials. Fit is more round than oval but my intermediate oval fits OK. I measured 60mm and went with a large thinking it would break in. It didn't fit at all. The XL feels a bit loose but that may be my race bike helmet fitment not working on these touring helmets. The XL I can ride all day and it doesn't hurt after I rounded off some of the sharp lines of the EPS airflow channels. They felt like a razor after a few hours. The helmet is a big disappointment. I was hoping for a BMW of flip up helmets. The C3Pro feels much better on the head. The C4 has a SENA integration which is the standard of bike to bike intercoms. I'll keep it but damn the thing is ugly as hell. I hate looking through 3 pieces of plastic on cold bright days. (sunshield - face shield - windscreen) There is distortion with all that plastic in your line of site.

If there was a time machine I would travel back to the point when I was about to click the purchase button and stop it. These flip up helmets are dumb, heavy and ugly. Just get a lighter weight full face with a transitions lens face shield and take the thing off when you stop.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Send cash... I need a track day

Thanks for the review. I've been using Etymotic E6i [wired] earbuds inside a Signet Q. But my daughter is about to start riding and my wife's helmet is kind of old, so we have to buy a new helmet or two. There aren't many long oval modulars, anyway.

Were you at Heath?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast