Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Are Modular helmets teh awesome?

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Re: Are Modular helmets teh awesome?

I wouldn't wear one, let alone get one for my daughter. Find a high quality full-coverage helmet that fits well. I have an Arai RXQ and a Vector, they fit me great, both models are "medium oval" shape. I can raise the shield from locked to open with gloved hand. They have a number of vents, too. I wear glasses, prescription lenses (Trivex) in Ray-Ban Aviator frames, black frames so they don't reflect inside the shield. The Aviators are easy to slip into the helmet.

Lotsa helmets in stock at Seacoast Sport Cycle.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by whynot; 08-15-17 at 06:59 AM. Reason: medium oval
    And don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    I wouldn't wear one, let alone get one for my daughter.
    Because?

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Cages: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel, 2005 Escalade

With a fuglystrada () in the picture he can't use the ugly excuse.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Vector

From my point of view, a modular helmet look like someone cut a full coverage in half, then hinged the two pieces back together. Just doesn't look strong and safe to me.

And, as they said ...

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    I like the concept, but I'm not sold on their effectiveness in a face-first impact crash. I remember reading mixed reviews on crash reports on modular helmets maybe ~5 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    Just got a Schuberth C4 and here is my short review.

The helmet sucks

Here is my longer review

The helmet was purchased for my BMW K1600GTL. I wanted a helmet for Bluetooth integration and really don't care about flip up or the drop down sun visor. (Dude just get a Transitions shield) I figured I would try the geek helmet and the SENA built in gear. It works as advertised. The music quality sucks if you listen to music with this set up. Phone works great and surprisingly the other callers don't know you are on a bike if you are at moderate pace <70.

The helmet itself does not deliver any high quality fit and feel. The face shield is plastic and not Lexan. The amount of reflective glare of your face on the inside of the thing is annoying as well as the glare at night. The interior of the helmet is lower grade stuff. It feels rough and not that comfortable as the Bell, Shoei or Arai interior materials. Fit is more round than oval but my intermediate oval fits OK. I measured 60mm and went with a large thinking it would break in. It didn't fit at all. The XL feels a bit loose but that may be my race bike helmet fitment not working on these touring helmets. The XL I can ride all day and it doesn't hurt after I rounded off some of the sharp lines of the EPS airflow channels. They felt like a razor after a few hours. The helmet is a big disappointment. I was hoping for a BMW of flip up helmets. The C3Pro feels much better on the head. The C4 has a SENA integration which is the standard of bike to bike intercoms. I'll keep it but damn the thing is ugly as hell. I hate looking through 3 pieces of plastic on cold bright days. (sunshield - face shield - windscreen) There is distortion with all that plastic in your line of site.

If there was a time machine I would travel back to the point when I was about to click the purchase button and stop it. These flip up helmets are dumb, heavy and ugly. Just get a lighter weight full face with a transitions lens face shield and take the thing off when you stop.

Last edited by whynot; 08-15-17 at 06:57 AM. Reason: my pov
    And don't believe everything you think.

Lifer

I had one for a short while, I think it was an HJC.. it sucked. Had no faith that the plastic crap chinbar would not open up and/or fail. In the end I found the convenience to not be worth the risk or the fugly-factor.

I consider cleaning snot off the inside of your chinbar a rite of passage. Without luxuries like that it just ain't really riding, is it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12