Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Monsters: Educate Me

Monsters: Educate Me

Thinking of trading the KTM in for a twin of some sort. Leeza's SV was a lot of fun on the street, and comfortable to ride, which would be an upgrade. Not sure if I want to go the SV route, or what, but the Monsters have been calling me lately. I know nothing about them, so not sure if I want one. Which one would be best? Want a 90% street bike, 10% track day bike.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Read my lesser known fact about ducatis thread. Lol

Wind protection is non existent as is comfort to some extent. Either you are willing to buy some stuff to suit your needs or you want something else.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

I still love my hyper just seems I have sunk more money into it than I expected.

Re: Monsters: Educate Me

I would recommend an SR4 monster for you because your experienced. Those are liquid cooled and based on the 996 engine with a nut load of power. If you can get the S version - even better. That's actually what I was shopping for when I met my Brutale and got sidetracked.

To show my lack of Monster education, whats an SR4?

Zip Tie Alley #505

If you can swing it, I'd aim for the new generation monster, 696, 796, etc. Better geometry means more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    If you can swing it, I'd aim for the new generation monster, 696, 796, etc. Better geometry means more fun.
    Thats waht we're hoping, if the money swings right. Not sure if wed want the 696 or 796 though.

Zip Tie Alley #505

The 696 is a good little mill. More stomp than the old 620 for sure. 796 brings more go, and a single sided swingarm for extra bling. Step up to the 1100 and you get adjustable forks IIRC, MOAR pull, and the 796 single sided swingarm. I'd try the 696 first personally.

there's a used S4R at VallyMotorSports in northampton MA right now

I prefer the 1100. Twin spark, two valve air cooled. The S has Olins and the full termi sounds AweSOME! I had one for a week and really hated to give it back....

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Well moneys an issue as well. So I wont go too crazy. Just want a fun little VTwin to rip around town, commute on, and hopefully do some trackdays and stuff.
    I think we might go for the 696, but we'll see

Zip Tie Alley #505

I don't think you'll like the 696 based on what you've ridden in the past. Take one for a test drive it really is a beginners bike.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

How about a used sv1ks? I'll trade ya.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

Quote Originally Posted by slammp View Post
    I don't think you'll like the 696 based on what you've ridden in the past. Take one for a test drive it really is a beginners bike.
    The 696 felt like a toy when I rode it. I was not happy with it at all....now the 1100S was SWEET!

2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

Quote Originally Posted by slammp View Post
    Tell that to the guy up at Loudon doing 17's on one.

Richie, My S2R 1000 is my first Monster but I have owned a 750ss, 900ss, 800ss, 998 and 748. The Monster has been my most comfortable bike and very much the Hooligan bike. http://www.webbikeworld.com/ducati-m...cles/s2r-1000/

If you are just looking to ride around and not looking for top end I think either the 696 or 796 would be fine, personally I would lean to the 796. Plus they will most likely be closer to your price range.

You could also look at an older 900 Monster or even an S2R 800 but the newer ones make almost as much HP and have better brakes and suspension

The maintenance on Duc's isn't that hard and you get to be a "ducati snob". I hope you find one, just make sure it is red.

Last edited by Doc; 10-15-11 at 06:45 PM.
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by BostonSVkid View Post
    The 696 felt like a toy when I rode it. I was not happy with it at all....now the 1100S was SWEET!
    Same HP and Torque as the SV650, 10 to 20lbs lighter, better front end, better brakes, if he likes the SV why wouldn't he like the 696?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Same HP and Torque as the SV650, 10 to 20lbs lighter, better front end, better brakes, if he likes the SV why wouldn't he like the 696?
    This is my question, I love her SV, granted, I only rode around a handful of times. I rode an SV on track once and loved it. The only problem with Leeza's bike is the brakes, but these are better. Not sure why I wouldnt like the 696? What advantage does the 796 have? The specs say like 12 more pounds and like 8 horsepower, not a big difference.

Zip Tie Alley #505

And HOPEFULlY a dealership will offer me some money on my KTM, but I tend to doubt it haha

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    This is my question, I love her SV, granted, I only rode around a handful of times. I rode an SV on track once and loved it. The only problem with Leeza's bike is the brakes, but these are better. Not sure why I wouldnt like the 696? What advantage does the 796 have? The specs say like 12 more pounds and like 8 horsepower, not a big difference.
    796 has better exhaust, rims, sssa and is a little taller in the seat with a smaller rear sprocket.

Last edited by Doc; 10-15-11 at 06:54 PM.
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    796 has better exhaust, rims and is a little taller in the seat with a smaller rear sprocket.
    That 8hp gain at peak also comes with a wider usable power band too. The 696 appreciates being spun, the 796 is a stroker 696 so it brings more torque to the table.

Lifer

I have an acquaintance who picked up a 696 used for a killer deal recently. Seems the 'beginner bike' rep makes for some good deals. He's called it a 'girls bike' too.

He sais its a blast to ride. In my book, that's what counts.

I kept telling him "get an SV, get an SV, get an SV" all day long. He didn't listen. Honestly, I think he did just right.

stay away from the 750. i had an 02, total snoozer.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

The monsters are a gateway drug!

They are comfortable and a blast to ride.

It starts with the monster. The next thing you know you own a multistrada because you like to go on long rides and the monster really has no storage. You swear you have no money but you know that the monster just isn't cutting it on the track so you pickup a 748 or a 996. You convince your self that one of the bikes has to go. You sell the monster, as the new owner drives off with your baby, you watch the bike all the way down the street. You keep trying to get that last glimpse wondering to yourself what's next? I'm I going to cry? I've gotten rid of honda's and yamaha's and could have cared less.

Angry that you sold your baby you unload the multi too. That thing is so ugly but so comfortable and fun. You rationalize (in your ducati twisted mind) that an ST is exactly what you need, good for long rides and sporty enough to make it fun.

And so on, and so on, and so on..........

Lifer

I have a 696 I got my wife. I ride it and enjoy it for most rides more than my 2007 VFR. It is a blast! Light, terrific brakes, loads of usable power where you mostly need it. Two mods are a must - Ducati Performance Touring seat (if you value your sperm) and 14T front sprocket. All newer monsters are geared very tall. Even with my 14T I am at 5000 rpm at 72mph. It is very economical, with the better seat is comfortable for 350 mile days and is plenty for most riding. I love it the more I ride it. I took it last Monday for its first track day. It can do corners well, but on the straight it is beaten by the more powerful and bigger engine bikes. I still could get to 100mph easily on the straight, but then had to brake. I am a true novice. If you want to try it we can swap on a ride some time. I live in Newton, MA.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Lifer

And you can pick up a 2009 696 for $6-7k

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I stand by my offer.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast