Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To the moon, Alice (ah-lee-chay), to the moon!

Re: To the moon, Alice (ah-lee-chay), to the moon!

What's your "basic maintenance" routine like? I can't help wondering if your baseline for bike care is a bit higher than average.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    What's your "basic maintenance" routine like? I can't help wondering if your baseline for bike care is a bit higher than average.
    Actually, it isn't; probably below average. I pretty much never wash it. I'm not great at keeping up with the chain maintenance.

I do use full synthetic oil made for motorcycles; I don't care what brand and I change it every 5K to 6K miles. I get the valve clearances checked once a year, which is between 11K and 17K miles (factory recommendation is 5K). I get the cambelts changed every two years, which typically comes to between 25K and 30K (recommendation is 12K or two years, whichever is first).

If I have to put it away for the winter, I change the oil, stabilize the gas, and hook up the battery tender, and every week or two I go out and use the starter to turn the engine over (not starting it up, just moving the parts around so they don't take a set), and roll the bike a little bit to avoid flat spots on the tires. Other than that I pretty much just replace things if they break or wear out, which isn't very often.

I think the *main* thing is that I don't let it sit and rot. I ride it every day that I can, and that's the key. That and making very few modifications.

PhilB

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by PhilB; 04-18-16 at 11:28 AM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

cool

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12