Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Moriwaki MD250H

Re: Moriwaki MD250H

Almost every 600 out there has 20k in it eventually. spend it up front, or nickel and dime it. you choose. However, a 600 is obviously a faster bike, so if your ego demands it, it may seem like a better deal. What I can say is that my R6 feels like a street scoot compared to the factory feel of the moriwaki.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Almost every 600 out there has 20k in it eventually. spend it up front, or nickel and dime it. you choose. However, a 600 is obviously a faster bike, so if your ego demands it, it may seem like a better deal. What I can say is that my R6 feels like a street scoot compared to the factory feel of the moriwaki.
    Exactly. I was going to say, pretty much every 'good' track bike has $20k in it including the cost of the bike itself. Hell, one trip to Peter Kates and you are half way there

Last edited by xxaarraa; 06-15-17 at 07:12 AM.

Well that's not exactly true. It's true that someone spent around $20k to buy a new super sport and build a track bike from it, but there's a reason most of us are tooling around on bikes that certain a someone else built that we bought for $5-8k. Many for less than the $5k mark.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Well that's not exactly true. It's true that someone spent around $20k to buy a new super sport and build a track bike from it, but there's a reason most of us are tooling around on bikes that certain a someone else built that we bought for $5-8k. Many for less than the $5k mark.
    Fine, but how much is IN the bike? You can also wait and get a moriwaki used. Point is, suspension and revisions, bodywork/parts, etc. mean you approach 20k very quickly on any new bike. This one doesn't require all the revisions. It is fully developed and better than we are out of the box. There could be value in that to someone.

Paul_E_D

Fine, but how much is IN the bike? You can also wait and get a moriwaki used. Point is, suspension and revisions, bodywork/parts, etc. mean you approach 20k very quickly on any new bike. This one doesn't require all the revisions. It is fully developed and better than we are out of the box. There could be value in that to someone.
    To me, what's IN the bike is what I pay for it. I do understand what you're saying, I'm not disagreeing that the bike is indeed good value, I'm just saying that realistically most people don't actually spend $20k on a track bike; most of the time it's less than half of that.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Yes, true. I just did same.

Paul_E_D

It was worth correcting. Fairly certain I actually heard the vein on bubba's forehead pop out all the way up in NH when you told him track bikes cost $20k.

Lifer

Used craigslist super-sports grow on trees. Because they are not road legal, there will never ever be a supply of used Moriwakis with salvage titles out there.

But then I'm once again reminded ya'll run in a different circle than me on this subject. Which I guess is fine. More power to you.

Just don't go telling the doe-eyed kids in red-group classroom that $20k is "reasonable" for a track toy! That's downright irresponsible.

- - - Updated - - -

It was worth correcting.
    I agree!

For every hand me down bike that we are all riding, someone had to build it. There is a thread on here of a brand new ZX6 that easily is over the $20k mark including the cost of the bike. Anyone tracking a newer Ducati is in that ball park. Hell, my 11 year old bike is up to about 7k now including the cost of the bike...11 years old, I'm an idiot.

In all honesty...I have NOWHERE NEAR millions in the bank, but if I scrapped all my hobbies and put my entire focus on one (racing motorcycles), I think I could almost justify spending $20k and I can easily see how others would.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 06-15-17 at 10:59 AM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    In all honesty...I have NOWHERE NEAR millions in the bank, but if I scrapped all my hobbies and put my entire focus on one (racing motorcycles), I think I could almost justify spending $20k and I can easily see how others would.
    Just wait until you have a kid and you can only have one hobby that you can do for maybe half a day a few times a month. Don't worry though, I'm sure you'll look fine with love handles.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Anddddd that just solidified no kids. I'm also curious to know why Colin clicked on this thread. He knew what he was getting himself into haha.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Anddddd that just solidified no kids.
    Are you sure it wasn't the complete and utter lack of a willing partner that solidified it? Seriously, there was never any chance.

Are you sure it wasn't the complete and utter lack of a willing partner that solidified it? Seriously, there was never any chance.
    There's always adoption bro.

I mean come on. I totally didn't kill any cats yet.

$20 grand!!

Man I thought spending $3,000 to rebuild an RM125 was a lot of money...I am sticking to mid 90's 2 stroke dirt bikes as my high performance machine...

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Some guys in the northeast had three identical R6 built for them a few years ago. They went out the door around $28K each. Never for racing just for track days. when the first one was resold for $11K I thought wow that was a steal. the next two sold recently for about $8K. Never raced and no drop damages. Wish I had a spare $8K at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    Some guys in the northeast had three identical R6 built for them a few years ago. They went out the door around $28K each. Never for racing just for track days. when the first one was resold for $11K I thought wow that was a steal. the next two sold recently for about $8K. Never raced and no drop damages. Wish I had a spare $8K at the time.
    Razee bikes? I pulled the trigger on something similar before they dropped their price...

Paul_E_D

Razee bikes? I pulled the trigger on something similar before they dropped their price...
    Yeah those were the ones. Stock engines, with ohlins, akra, race bodywork, etc.

2013 ZX6R-636

Those bikes were a smokin deal. Only thing I didn't score that these had was the nice wheels.... Yummmmm

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Anddddd that just solidified no kids. I'm also curious to know why Colin clicked on this thread. He knew what he was getting himself into haha.
    I still manage with a child. There's hope.
    There are definitely sacrifices to be made, but don't think for a second you've gotta give it all up.
    But, since you're effectively still a child, perfect your masturbating.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I still manage with a child. There's hope.
    There are definitely sacrifices to be made, but don't think for a second you've gotta give it all up.
    But, since you're effectively still a child, perfect your masturbating.
    That's been dialed for a while.

So uhh, I ended up going kinda deep down the rathole on this one. I've known about gpmotorbikes.com for a while; they've usually got a good mix of Moto3, Moto2 and the occasional MotoGP bike for sale. They don't seem to list prices anymore, which is annoying. From memory, a Moto3 bike would be about €10,000-20,000, and Moto2 bikes higher again. I can't remember what MotoGP bikes would go for, but it's considerably more again.

raresportbikes.com is an index of rare and not-rare-but-interesting bikes for sale; it has descriptions of stuff and all the bikes are on eBay. It's mostly road bikes, but you occasionally stumble across something interesting, like this 1989 Cagiva V4 500cc GP bike that went for a cool $55,000.

There's also RMD Motors in Japan, though they're more focused on older stuff. The newest they have for GP bikes is around 2002.

Where things got really interesting was the innocuous-sounding FIM CEV Repsol teams community site. They have listings for everything from 2015 KTM Moto3 bikes to teams looking for riders (!) and more. You can even pick up Tito Rabat's old CBR600RR training bike for around €8,500.

If it were me, I'd buy this NSF250R Moto3 bike from the BSB Moto3 series (I didn't know that was a thing?) that's got a zillion upgrades for €13,500. It's cheaper without the data acquisition stuff, save yourself some money! Seriously, that's about $15k in real money.

Last but not least, if you want a full-on classifieds experience, there is the aptly-named Race Bike Mart. There's a lot of parts and rubbish in there, but occasionally you find something like this 1993 YZR500 factory for a cool €150,000.

xxaarraa, you wanna go into business flipping this stuff?

Last edited by number9; 07-11-17 at 05:10 PM.
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

This is an impressive bit of scholarship.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    So uhh, I ended up going kinda deep down the rathole on this one. I've known about gpmotorbikes.com for a while; they've usually got a good mix of Moto3, Moto2 and the occasional MotoGP bike for sale. They don't seem to list prices anymore, which is annoying. From memory, a Moto3 bike would be about €10,000-20,000, and Moto2 bikes higher again. I can't remember what MotoGP bikes would go for, but it's considerably more again.

raresportbikes.com is an index of rare and not-rare-but-interesting bikes for sale; it has descriptions of stuff and all the bikes are on eBay. It's mostly road bikes, but you occasionally stumble across something interesting, like this 1989 Cagiva V4 500cc GP bike that went for a cool $55,000.

There's also RMD Motors in Japan, though they're more focused on older stuff. The newest they have for GP bikes is around 2002.

Where things got really interesting was the innocuous-sounding FIM CEV Repsol teams community site. They have listings for everything from 2015 KTM Moto3 bikes to teams looking for riders (!) and more. You can even pick up Tito Rabat's old CBR600RR training bike for around €8,500.

If it were me, I'd buy this NSF250R Moto3 bike from the BSB Moto3 series (I didn't know that was a thing?) that's got a zillion upgrades for €13,500. It's cheaper without the data acquisition stuff, save yourself some money! Seriously, that's about $15k in real money.

Last but not least, if you want a full-on classifieds experience, there is the aptly-named Race Bike Mart. There's a lot of parts and rubbish in there, but occasionally you find something like this 1993 YZR500 factory for a cool €150,000.

xxaarraa, you wanna go into business flipping this stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

/s/ Dustin
    LRRS #767
    '09 R6 / '11 848 Evo / '99 RS250

Inventory — Moto2 Imports

Speedwerks in Deleware does the mechanical work on these, same guy that imported and built my FZR.

Quote Originally Posted by dhawks View Post
    This is an impressive bit of scholarship.
    Thanks.

Can I borrow some money?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Thanks.

Can I borrow some money?
    'borrow' means you intend to give it back at some point.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast