Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Motard - Which One and Why?

I am looking to build a motard and I am pleading ignorance ...

I got the following requirements ... feel free to add your own.
    Not stuck on a brand ...

1. Established dealer and aftermarket parts network.

2. Out the door streetable. I can register and ride it on the road as a dirt bike, willing to commit time and money for conversion.

3. Easy to work on ... I have a fair amount of mechanical experience. Not interested in maintainence prima donnas. I want to ride, not spend my time adjusting valves.

4. Keeping the motor stock, not interested in modifying engine internals.

Opinions wanted:

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

maybe a WR450? registerable for street and off road as is and the gearing is a little better for the street comared to the YZ. or you could get the CR450X (i think thats what KB has) and does dirt and races it at NHIS. personally i would start with a dual sport that is more dirt oriented like WR or CRX.

theres always the new Aprillia i dont know if you want to dirt ride it though

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Re: Motard - Which One and Why?

1. Established dealer and aftermarket parts network.
    That, you shouldn't have a problem with with any of the 5 major brands, Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and KTM. I don't know about the Aprilla and Husky's but I've heard dealers are limited so you may have to travel.

2. Out the door streetable. I can register and ride it on the road as a dirt bike, willing to commit time and money for conversion.
    The easiest and best out the door streetable is the new KTM 450/525 EXC, register it and ride...that's it.
    If you're willing to commit time and money for the conversion, I'm sure any of the brands will be OK. If you want to street it, go with the enduro model (EXC, WR, CRF X, etc) and not the MX version (though the MX version is where the real road fun is). I'd again lean to the KTM exc line up because it was simple to convert and the stock gearing just seems to work perfect for road use and OK for woods use. And the motors are smooth as butter, unlike the other brands.

3. Easy to work on ... I have a fair amount of mechanical experience. Not interested in maintainence prima donnas. I want to ride, not spend my time adjusting valves.
    This is where you lost me, you're not going to get what you're looking for and not have a maintainence prima donna as you put it. These types of bikes require frequent oil changes and valve checks. The KTM is the easiest to adjust the valves but is probably the most pain in the ass to do a oil change on. The Yamaha will by far offer the least valve attention and the Honda... well just hope they don't fail first...

4. Keeping the motor stock, not interested in modifying engine internals.
    It's always a good idea to keep the motor stock. They all make plenty of power and when you start doing internal work, the reliability goes down fast. Just looking back when I started racing in LRRS, most everyone just put 17's on their bikes and they were out on the track, engine failures were few and far between on Motards. Now that everyone is building these things up, they're popping motors left and right.

ps... it's time to lose that avatar maybe

Yamaha

I heard you were looking in to this. The wr 450 is a good choice but the stator out put might not be enough for night riding. I think it has 4 gears wich is keep for streetable use. I have a yz 426 and it runs great at the track, and has the 4 gear, but to do this you need an after market stator and need to find the right way to wire the bike.

a Drz 400 sm is all done and ready to go, but under powered. just my opion. but dosn't need as much maintaince. and the stock motors are pretty bulit proof.

but you know we are here to help you out no matter what you get.

by the way you need to do a track day with it!!!! I no you will love it. and hate us for telling you about it.

lis

no regrets!!! life is just too short

01 YZ426 motard (sold)
    99 YZ250 (sold)
    klx 110

Littering and........

I went through the exact same list of requirements, and bought a Suzuki DRZ400SM.

The biggest factor here is what your state considers "street legal". The DRZ comes ready to go ahead and slap license plates on. They can be had in the neighborhood of $5,500-$6,000 new. I bought a complete dirt setup for about $900, so for a total investment under $7,000 I have a street legal dirtbike, and a street legal motard.

The other bikes mentioned - WR450, various KTM models, etc - are much nicer bikes. More power, better suspension, etc. But it would have taken me quite a bit more money to get one street legal (in the neighborhood of another $1,000 on top of the higher initial price).

My input is this: if you have the extra money available, get a KTM or a Husky or a WR450. Just know that you will have to put some effort into getting it inspoected and registered.

Lifer

OK, why does everyone lean towards the four strokes for motard? I understand if you want to register it for the street, but if it is a track only bike is there any big advantage to a four over a two???

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Originally posted by SSearchVT
    OK, why does everyone lean towards the four strokes for motard? I understand if you want to register it for the street, but if it is a track only bike is there any big advantage to a four over a two???
    Smooth useable power and they are more reliable.

Rick Lee
    04' CRF450R Mo~tahd~ed
    75' CB750 Cafe (project)
    77' KZ750 Twin
    LRRS #676

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    You got away by doing the the cheat code for Contra?
    "The only way this guy could have a tougher time in politics is if his name was Jihad McTerrorist." Fuggin Darrel!

Welcome to the Motard world bra

I'll help you out with this.

I would look for a CRF 450 X model already equiped with all the necesary power to run your brake light.

All you need in new hampshire is a mirror, Brake light, horn and some paperwork from a dealer saying that it has all this shit on it, take that to the town hall get plate, go back to dealer for inspection sticker. You are in.

RJ's in Nashua has the break lite you will need, the hydraulic brake light switch, horn, and mirror in stock.

Go see Mike at naults Windham, same as Naults manchester but not as much of sleazy sales weasels, and tell him you want a leftover 06 and he'll cut you a sweet deal Ftrain and I got 2 OTD 05's for 5581 a piece.

Another good thing about the X Model is it's got the magic button for easy starting.

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Re: Re: Motard - Which One and Why?

Originally posted by R7

ps... it's time to lose that avatar maybe

Ask ... and you shall receive!

That was a clear and unbiased answer!
    Exactly what I was looking for!

Also agrees with the research I've been doing.

So now I gotta make a decision ...

Find a front end wrecked nude second gen SV and turn
    that into a track bike. (have most of the parts to fix it.)

OR

Go to the 'tard side.

Oh shit ... sounds like a full blown addiction emerging!

Nobody mentioned the Honda XR650L ...

Any reason that would not be a good candidate?

I got long legs ... so seat height is not a concern.
    Weight is 277 lbs

Too much power or too hard to handle?

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

i was going to ask the same thing but fora xr 6002, whats the maintenance on that like?

weekend bike as well more than occasion commuter bike?

hmmmm......

the xr motor is great. It would be a good bike, alittle big for me but you would prob. fit it well with you height.
    I would look in to making sur you could get wheels for it, every thing else is just small stuff.

no regrets!!! life is just too short

01 YZ426 motard (sold)
    99 YZ250 (sold)
    klx 110

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Check out supermotojunkie.com there is a wealth of knowledge as far as motards go floating around on that message board.

I love my Husky, not the easiest to get parts for, has a few quirks, but bang for the buck out the door motardability it can't be beat.

Joel

Originally posted by Currently
    Nobody mentioned the Honda XR650L ...

Any reason that would not be a good candidate?

I got long legs ... so seat height is not a concern.
    Weight is 277 lbs

Too much power or too hard to handle?
    It's heavy and the 450cc MX bikes make just as much power

Yamaha

Originally posted by R7
    It's heavy and the 450cc MX bikes make just as much power
    Yeah ... I did catch a few references to the BRP.
    (Big Red Pig)

Not financially practical either ...

5500 for the bike
    1800 for wheels
    300 or so for tires
    God knows what for suspension

Might as well get a motard right off the dealer floor.

Maybe I miised it in an earlier post, but waht are you looking to use it for? track, street, race, dirt, highway commuting?

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

KTM

KTM525SMR or 560SMR. Don't mess around building this or that...buy something with all the goodies already on it unless you want to go broke..I went broke twice so far, then I bought the KTM and it rocks. Plus my buddy bought a 560 and he runs 1:16 on it!

Heath Smith
    LRRS/CCS #337
    Low Down Racing
    www.racetireservice.com
    www.motorbikesplus.com
    Power by Dr. Hillsgrove
    Traction by Franimal Racing Syndicate

05' KTM 525SMR,
    01' YZ426F
    05' Reiju RS1

Says Vale to Colin at the end of the 2002 8 Hours of Suzuka: "Ok Colin, you better go out there and win. Because it is the ONLY way we will NEVER have to come here again!"

Re: KTM

Originally posted by gixxer6
    KTM525SMR or 560SMR. Don't mess around building this or that...buy something with all the goodies already on it unless you want to go broke..I went broke twice so far, then I bought the KTM and it rocks. Plus my buddy bought a 560 and he runs 1:16 on it!
    It'll cost him $1k just to upgrade the stator (the rite way) and put lights on it, then buy a complete set of dirt wheels for another $1k, seeing he said he wants to street ride and dirt ride it

Yamaha

Yeah what Mark said go hide back under your rock heath!!

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Re: Re: KTM

Originally posted by R7
    It'll cost him $1k just to upgrade the stator (the rite way) and put lights on it, then buy a complete set of dirt wheels for another $1k, seeing he said he wants to street ride and dirt ride it
    Mark understands the intent ....

Primary purpose ... Twisty ... especially the 'Gap - both street and dirt in that country that God created just for motorcycling!

Secondary screwing around on weekends doing whatever.
    I don't have much dirt around here but where I am originally from, I can ride dirt all day and not even touch a tarred road.
    (Northern Maine in Aroostook County ... those snowmobile trails are effing awesome to ride in the summer!)

I may commute with it but I got the SV comfortably set up for that.

Then there is the ubitiquous track day that EVERYONE wants me to try out ... with the 'tard that would have a few mods like sliders and such, it would not break my heart to take a dump.

Dumping my SV will cost me money that I really don't want to spend again. I finally got it where I want it.

I am looking at the prices of wheels, stators and such ... dayum ... talk about packing my shit-chute with throbbing reams of money! (those in the know will find that very funny!)

Seems like high maintainence is the norm here ... like my old YZ days where I had to pull the top end off on a regular basis just because if I don't, something is going to slip by and explode into a big repair bill.

As much as I dislike the lack of power on the DRZ400SM, I really wish the other manufacturers would follow Suzuki's lead and come out with some decent 'tard options that would have a bit more oomph!

Re: Re: Re: KTM

As much as I dislike the lack of power on the DRZ400SM, I really wish the other manufacturers would follow Suzuki's lead and come out with some decent 'tard options that would have a bit more oomph!
    What are you looking to spend? Obviously my blood is blue and it hurts me to say this but I think a new KTM 450/525EXC is the best bang for the buck and is what you're loooking for. No matter what bike you get, it's going to cost quite a bit to make a nice bike, and one that's easy to swap back and forth.
    I'm sure you can find a left over 06 450/525 exc in the $6,500 range, KTM has a complete supermoto kit for $1,300. It's already got the good stator, a headlight and tail light, so all you need to add is a horn, signals and a brake light switch. I just happen to have a diagram of the wire harness I made for my bike as well using a R6 signal, horn and high beam switch

You're welcomed to try it out sometime if you'd like

Yamaha

Re: Re: Re: KTM

Im not sure if you have ridden the bike, but stock its really not as bad as people say - even more so if you are planning to ride tight twisty type roads with it. I own one and I'm very happy with it stock, but I am planning to do a number of mods which people say really open it up. If you are planning for only track use then Id say its not the best choice out there.

The major pros to the 400SM in my opinion are
    1. Cheap to purchase AND cheap to own
    2. Low maintenence costs compared to most of the other motard platforms.
    3. Tons of aftermarket support - I mean tons.

check out the DRZ forum on thumpertalk and you can find some great info if you want more.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

So they already have a kit that will pop it between street and dirt!

Plus I do like their WP suspenders ... them ain't nothing to laugh at ... some real good components there.

So I need:

Bike ... 6500
    1300 dollar kit is what wheels and ???

Miscellaneous licensing stuff ... under a hundred bucks.

What tire size does it take ... wouldn't happen to be 160 rears and 120 fronts would they ... that would be too good to be true!

Anything I am missing?

It does have the power range I am looking for without my cracking the motor and making things bigger in there.

Re: Re: Re: Re: KTM

Originally posted by Manny
    Im not sure if you have ridden the bike, but stock its really not as bad as people say - even more so if you are planning to ride tight twisty type roads with it. I own one and I'm very happy with it stock, but I am planning to do a number of mods which people say really open it up. If you are planning for only track use then Id say its not the best choice out there.

The major pros to the 400SM in my opinion are
    1. Cheap to purchase AND cheap to own
    2. Low maintenence costs compared to most of the other motard platforms.
    3. Tons of aftermarket support - I mean tons.

check out the DRZ forum on thumpertalk and you can find some great info if you want more.
    Would you commute on it in a pinch?

How is it on the super slab?
    I ask this cause most of the time you slab it to get there.

But I do have two bike chocks in the back of my truck for
    both bikes ... I can drive the truck there and head out to
    whereever if I have to.

I like the price and the fact that it is ready off the floor once
    the ink is on the dotted line.
    Plus I like the dealer that I currently do business with ...

Would you let your wife ride it? (that may carry some serious
    weight on my end).

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: KTM

Would you commute on it in a pinch?

How is it on the super slab?
    I ask this cause most of the time you slab it to get there.

But I do have two bike chocks in the back of my truck for
    both bikes ... I can drive the truck there and head out to
    whereever if I have to.

I like the price and the fact that it is ready off the floor once
    the ink is on the dotted line.
    Plus I like the dealer that I currently do business with ...

Would you let your wife ride it? (that may carry some serious
    weight on my end).
    I do commute on it sometimes, 30 miles each way, basically all slab. If its windy, its not great, but at 70 on a nice day I have no issues. I wouldn't want to go 60 each way, but I don't think most motards are comfortable for that.

I would let my wife ride it I guess, but she doesnt ride so its not an issue.

Regarding the power, only you know what you need. PM highsider for another opinion on it, and check out thumpertalk for the best information. One thing I will say is it does not have the power that a CRF 450 or a YZ would have stock. You can get good power with 2 main modifications, a full exhaust and a new FCR MX carb with a rejet. Really easy and relatively cheap. But its a 35 HP motorcycle stock.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast