Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Motard Build ?

Motard Build ?

Thinking of building a motard over the winter, just looking for info at the moment. Any suggestions on bike, engine size, wheels, ect, prebuilt or convert myself? No idea where to start, never even owned a dirtbike. Thinking a budget of $2000 - $2500 for the bike in dirt form then $X to convert it. Going to be a street toy not for the track. Any input greatly appreciated!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX #473
    Thanks to my 2017 sponsors: Dunlop, Sidi, Woodcraft, Bell

Re: Motard Build ?

For a street ride you are looking for reliability. Honestly do you want a decent amount of power or are you ok with it being a little slow? If you're ok with it being slow go DRZ and don't look back. If you are looking for a tard that has a little oomph I would look at the WR450 or CRF450X. And you are going to have to look for a bit to find one within that price range that doesn't need mechanical help.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Are you racing, trackdays, or streeting? There is a pretty big difference between setups and bike choices.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

This....bit more than what you want to spend thou

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/4667343051.html

A steal here.....but poss faker of the funk cause thats too cheap lolololol

http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/4635820425.html

but I am allready sold on the WR platform

ogh and if you want to ride mine you are more than welcome...but you better be ready to go buy one soon after LOLOLOL

I've searched for a motard for a few years and finally got serious and bought one. The honda 450 became the aparant choice after more researching and talking to racers. They are the best combination of parts available, reliability, performance, and cost. That's all for racing or track only though. The choice for a bike used for double duty or primarily street use could be different.

As far as building one versus buying one, buying is always cheaper, but maybe not a fun winter project.

Last edited by maxim_X; 09-26-14 at 10:00 AM.
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    I've searched for a motard for a few years and finally got serious and bought one. The honda 450 became the aparant choice after more researching and talking to racers. They are the best combination of parts available, reliability, performance, and cost. That's all for racing or track only though. The choice for a bike used for double duty or primarily street use could be different.

As far as building one versus buying one, building is always cheaper, but maybe not a fun winter project.

Not always true...just like a race bike building one can get very costly. For track days/race CRF450/YZ450 or KTM. For the street these can be a bit more cost to get them legal.. now with the WR450 its def easier but needs a little work to wake it up to YZ Spec..

best bet is to find a allready plated/converted bike that needs a little TLC...

I fucked up. I meant buying is always cheaper. D'oh. Fixed.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Thinking of going preplated after reading this, then throwing on aftermarket stuff to keep busy.

Shawn if I drive your bike I gotta walk past the grom and I'll probably end up buying one haha

LRRS EX #473
    Thanks to my 2017 sponsors: Dunlop, Sidi, Woodcraft, Bell

Quote Originally Posted by dougie View Post
    Thinking of going preplated after reading this, then throwing on aftermarket stuff to keep busy.

Shawn if I drive your bike I gotta walk past the grom and I'll probably end up buying one haha

Well come up and just ride Both then....easy LOLOLOL

And getting them plated isn't hard in NH but MA you will have to do everything so just keep that in mind or do the VT/SD thing and transfer it over.. just something to keep in mind

Last edited by Pigman; 09-26-14 at 11:20 AM.

I've got an '09 DRZ400sm with 3,000 miles that is golden. Easily registered, reliable and easy on the eyes. Save your time and effort, toss me $4K and call it a day.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

I gotta '96 CR250 cheap. I am buying some 17" excel motard rims for cost. I am not sure how it'll be but hey why not right?! I'll be using it as a back up track bike and for the roadrace hillclimbs. Not sure how that'll be if you guys have insight on how terrible of a platform a CR250 would be for a motard comment hahaha.

I have a plated 2001 Honda CR250R that I race NETRA Enduros & Hare Scrambles. Awesome bike in the woods, but runs out of top speed pretty quickly on the street. I'm running 13/49 gearing (stock is 13/50), which is great in the woods for pretty much any type of terrain you ever come across. Pigman has the right idea with WR and wider-ratio gears. My winter project is installing WR gears in '06 YZ250 for an alternate Enduro, Ice bike. Both of these bikes only have 5-speeds transmissions.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Op - always cheaper to buy one built than build your own

2 smokers kinda suck as motards...you gotta really like 2 smoke to invest the G into a set or rims amd tires...wheelieman is right though - close ratio trans means you get to 50mph quick and top out...wide ratio trans would be better in a street application, but for small kart tracks, atock trans is fine...you just go WOT anytime you're straight or straightening out anyways

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: