Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Moto consolidation

Lifer

Re: Moto consolidation

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    He's not complaining about EFI. He's complaining about the other electronics bolted onto his Multi. It is a very, very sophisticated motorcycle. And some of that sophistication has proven to be somewhat problematic.
    Exactly. Why would I be complaining about EFI?

No shit. I know I post whore sometimes. But geezus.. that post wasn't one of 'em.

And I sure as fuck wasn't defending either Triumph or Ducati. Two brands I've never owned. Jeff's repeated dealer visits have probably turned me off to Ducati permanently. It has also revealed the downside of electro-magically adjustable suspension. Pass.
    KISS.

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    i would love a new multi, or even an explorer. i rode bruces GS12 for a few miles but the fog was so thick i wasnt comfortable riding it at all so i really didnt get a feel for it. the GS8 interests me but i digress. it will be a while before a new bike is in my future. ill wait for Kenn to get sick of his explorer and buy it on the cheap
    If I were to spend my money all over again, it sure as hell wouldn't be on a Multistrada or an Explorer. It would be on something simple, like going back to a Tiger 800. These big, heavy, and sophisticated (some may call these features luxurious) motorcycles belong on cross-country trips.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    sounds like it does everything well, but doesnt do anything great.
    So its a Honda?

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

From riding one for about 45 minutes, I found it to be hardly any more boring than a Vstrom. Just way better suspension, ride and power.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

new 800 GS review
    lol.. dusty Right brush guard and rear saddle bag. oopsie

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

While I appreciate the original intent of this thread, to consolidate, I find myself thinking the opposite. I really would love a classic musclecar collection. The ones I want, way outta reach, moneywise. Motorcycles, I can afford a bunch 'o them....so Id love to increase the number of bikes I have, which is just 1 right now.

Just gets to a point, at least this year, that I can't give half of them the time they deserve. Guess I can just mothball a couple next year and register them again once I get the itch.

Talked to a guy who was riding a gs800 today. He loved it, but also said that if he isn't doing any trail riding, his 1200gs is far superior.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

If you have the means, I would say the 1200 sounds like it fits your stated use better; long haul riding.
    I still think the RT should be on your radar as well. Eye testicle tickling aside.

Even the GS seems like too much for back road burning, especially dirt back road burning. But then you say you're keeping the SV.

So what are you ditching again? The V-Strom, the V-Max, AND the ZRX? Consolidating all that into just one seems like a tall order.

Maybe the V-Strom + a long distance mile eater?

Last edited by nhbubba; 09-08-13 at 01:42 PM.

Benelli Tre-K

That should put all your maintenance and downtime in one package easily.

Yamaha TW200. The "Fat tire flier."

i'm keeping an eye on this thread cause i'm debating on selling my husky and picking up something that will fit my needs a little better...lots of good info here...i'm looking for commute friendly (90 miles daily), low maintenance, somewhat light, decent power for it's weight, fuel injection, reliable, needs accept some bags or storage, windshield, somewhat 2-up comfortable...it seems like an adventure bike may be the way to go or a cruiser/standard...been looking at...Triumph Bonneville 09+, Triumph Tiger 800, new style Honda CB1100, Yamaha Star Bolt, BMW F 800 GS, Kawasaki Versys...sounds like a gs or a tiger are going to be a good way to go

Last edited by Point37; 09-09-13 at 08:44 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    i'm keeping an eye on this thread cause i'm debating on selling my husky and picking up something that will fit my needs a little better...lots of good info here...i'm looking for commute friendly (90 miles daily), low maintenance, somewhat light, decent power for it's weight, fuel injection, reliable, needs accept some bags or storage, windshield, somewhat 2-up comfortable...it seems like an adventure bike may be the way to go or a cruiser/standard...been looking at...Triumph Bonneville 09+, Triumph Tiger 800, new style Honda CB1100, Yamaha Star Bolt, BMW F 800 GS, Kawasaki Versys...sounds like a gs or a tiger are going to be a good way to go
    I love my Tiger 1050 but the V-Strom is a better commuter. Both have ABS, but the V-Strom has better weather protection, gets better mpg on regular, doesn't generate a lot of heat in summer the clutch pull is lighter, etc. I found I used a bike for commuting a lot more with ABS, granted I live in Boston.

The other problem to face with a commuter bike is that if you ride into December or in early spring, you are going to have road salt attacking the bike. The bike on the left was used for commuting into Harpoon Brewery 9 months a year. I spray mine with Boeshield.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    I love my Tiger 1050 but the V-Strom is a better commuter. Both have ABS, but the V-Strom has better weather protection, gets better mpg on regular, doesn't generate a lot of heat in summer the clutch pull is lighter, etc. I found I used a bike for commuting a lot more with ABS, granted I live in Boston.

The other problem to face with a commuter bike is that if you ride into December or in early spring, you are going to have road salt attacking the bike. The bike on the left was used for commuting into Harpoon Brewery 9 months a year. I spray mine with Boeshield.
    good to know!...thanks for the info!

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

T9 is the SHIT!

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

If you have the means, I would say the 1200 sounds like it fits your stated use better; long haul riding.
    I still think the RT should be on your radar as well. Eye testicle tickling aside.

Even the GS seems like too much for back road burning, especially dirt back road burning. But then you say you're keeping the SV.

So what are you ditching again? The V-Strom, the V-Max, AND the ZRX? Consolidating all that into just one seems like a tall order.

Maybe the V-Strom + a long distance mile eater?

Keeping the SV. That's my sport/light/fun bike.

Yeah, getting rid of all 3 would be likely if I ended up with something that made the same power, weighed the same (or less in the case of the Vmax), could do long distance and handled the twisties admirably. If you think the GS can't do the fun roads, you haven't seen Bruce ride his GS Adventure at the Gap. Does just fine. Is it a sportbike? No. But it'll do just as well as any Vstrom.

They really aren't that heavy....what, 520lbs? My Rex weighs about that. Vmax is another 100lbs and I don't complain about the weight of either.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    But of all the others, I was wondering how well a GS1200 Adventure would cover all the bases. It is comfortable, nearly as much power as the Rex or Vmax, just as good at distance as the Vstrom.
    Just got this in an e-mail from Twisted Throttle, I'd say it covers all the bases and then some, bad ass bike and SUPER BAD ASS RIDER!!!!

DAM Teach is one bad motha, I wish I could some day ride a 500lbs. bike in the dirt with that kind of skill & control .

and speak latin!

From riding one for about 45 minutes, I found it to be hardly any more boring than a Vstrom. Just way better suspension, ride and power.
    Let me know if and when you're looking to sell the 'Strom. Given your maintenance skills and modest-but-sweet suspension mods, I'd gladly pay you a little more than what you paid me for it.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

I traded in my '09 F800GS with about 13K miles earlier this year for the new '13 R1200GS. I got the F800GS right when they came out and I really loved the bike. The front end was a little soft on the road, but I really liked it off road on less technical single track. The 21 front is really nice to have, and seems so much bigger than the 19 when rolling over stuff.

I also own a '10 Multistrada, and for doing rides like the Puppy Dog in VT - it can do it, but it won't be as much fun as either GS, imo. The balance doesn't feel right standing up - maybe higher bars would fix that. That said, the bike is really fantastic on the road and if I had to record a time across app gap or something, it is the bike I would choose. It feels (and probably is) a lot lighter than the 1200GS.

All that said, if I was to choose a bike to cross the country on, I think I would choose the GS. It has enough power to make me happy, you feel comfortable using most of it too. I also like that the tank range is around 225 miles vs 150-175 on the Multi. I like the luggage on the GS about 100x more too - you can leave it unlocked and get in an out of it without the key. I like the wind protection better as well. I also feel like I can slide fore/aft on the GS saddle a little more and change my riding position a little bit and on the Multi I'm a little more locked into one position.

I would think hard about a GS over a GSA. Tall and heavy - that can get old.

Honestly, all of these bikes are so great, I can't imagine being really unhappy with any of them. Any mechanical failures would likely determine your happiness with the choice.

Kevin
    2011 KTM 530 EXC
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter S
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Hmmmm......New GS is out and looking mighty nice....

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Which new gs you liking?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Banned

I think in a couple of years i will end up on a multistrada. Cant find a bad review.

2014 1200GS Adventure

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

2014 1200GS Adventure
    What about it?

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

2014 1200GS Adventure
    Starting at 18200, I'd have to buy something like that with the intent of owning it FOREVER.
    I just don't know that I've met a bike that tickles my taint like that yet. 5-7k is a lot easier to come and go with, at my stage in life.
    I gotta think that that's like a semester of college and shit...
    Not that I'm resorting to that fate already, but it's definitely gonna be here before I realize it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

I'm trying to imagine the kickass arsenal of toys I could amass for $18k.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    I think in a couple of years i will end up on a multistrada. Cant find a bad review.
    You might want to have a chat with young Mr Botto.

--mark

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021