Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Results 1 to 21 of 21

E Moto goes up in flames

  1. #1
    Senior Member MUZ720's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    648

    E Moto goes up in flames


    MotoE: Championship in doubt after catastrophic fire?
    Not good for your electric bike fans..

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by MUZ720; 03-14-19 at 09:28 AM.

  2. #2
    Member Zolden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NJ/NY
    Posts
    211

    Re: E Moto goes up in flames

    Wow. What a catastrophe... and not good for ebikes or energica if ultimately it is found that one of the batteries exploded causing the fire.

    0 Not allowed!
    '19 Husqvarna FS450 Race
    2017 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    2007 Aprilia RSVR Factory (For Sale)

  3. #3
    Senior Member jeantarrou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rhody
    Posts
    682

    Re: E Moto goes up in flames

    Just saw this, so disappointing, I was looking forward to this series...

    0 Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Lifer Tekime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Falmouth, ME
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,297

    Re: E Moto goes up in flames

    That is rough. Supposedly the show will go, with the first race being rescheduled. Hopefully they can recover - I for one would love to see e racing do well.

    0 Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

  5. #5
    Soul Rider Paul_E_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    western, MA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    13,468

    Re: E Moto goes up in flames

    Surprised there are no oil company conspiracy theories yet.

    0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D


  6. #6
    Senior Member MUZ720's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    648

    Re: E Moto goes up in flames

    Smells like Repsol .....

    0 Not allowed!

  7. #7

    Re: E Moto goes up in flames

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Surprised there are no oil company conspiracy theories yet.
    I wouldn't put it past them, but it is sadly all too easy for this to happen with current battery tech.

    0 Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Lifer Falko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MoonTown
    Posts
    4,608

    Re: E Moto goes up in flames

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Surprised there are no oil company conspiracy theories yet.
    IS this a good fit for Rotella??

    3 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

  9. #9

    Re: E Moto goes up in flames

    Maybe I missed something but it sounds like an insurance claim against whoever supplied the charger. None of the bikes were on the charger at the time?

    0 Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    19,527

    Re: E Moto goes up in flames

    You don’t need to be charging for cells to go into thermal runaway.

    0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  11. #11

    Re: E Moto goes up in flames

    Must have misread the article. I thought they said the charger was what went up. I hear you about the batteries though. I'm always nervous about leaving my drone batteries unattended while charging. Can't imagine what they put in those bikes.

    0 Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Cat herder
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Low Earth orbit
    Posts
    226

    Re: E Moto goes up in flames

    Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    IS this a good fit for Rotella??
    ..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E Moto goes  up in flames-rotellachance-jpg  

    0 Not allowed!

  13. #13
    Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    5,825

    Re: E Moto goes up in flames

    Quote Originally Posted by joshk1025 View Post
    I wouldn't put it past them, but it is sadly all too easy for this to happen with current battery tech.
    I'm not sure you really grasp the state of "current battery tech." More Ferrari's and Lambo's have caught fire in the past few years than EV's. There have been a few post-crash EV fires, but precious few instances of un-instigated thermal runaway or batteries blowing up. You WILL see this with consumer-grade products, but battery management and thermal management systems are standard for automotive applications, and very effective these days. Admittedly, the prevalence of EVs on the road isn't there yet to have decades of historical data, but here's something for perspective:

    About 174,000 vehicle fires were reported in the United States in 2015, the most recent year for which statistics are available from the National Fire Protection Association. Virtually all of those fires involved gasoline powered cars. That works out to about one every three minutes.

    Tesla claims that gasoline powered cars are about 11 times more likely to catch fire than a Tesla. It says the best comparison is fires per 1 billion miles driven. It says the 300,000 Teslas on the road have been driven a total of 7.5 billion miles, and about 40 fires have been reported. That works out to five fires for every billion miles traveled, compared to a rate of 55 fires per billion miles traveled in gasoline cars. (Source)

    New things always scare people until they figure out how to deal with them. Formula E has been going a couple of years now and have an *impeccable* safety, AND *reliability* record when it comes to their batteries. The TT-E class has also been going quite swimmingly for years, the "professional" outfits have had plenty of teething issues, but I have yet to hear of a total loss of a bike due to fire... whereas several traditional bikes are crashed, burnt to a crisp, and written off... each year.

    Also worth noting, the electric hypercar that Hammond totaled in the hill-climb burned down to nothing, but the technical debrief was pretty amazing and the company has learned new ways to make their cars safer. A natural byproduct of failures is engineering solutions and implementing appropriate protocols. I'm sure Tesla is constantly learning each time their car is involved in an accident or has a failure. ICE's have a good century head-start, and yet by most accounts EV's are likely *already safer* than gasoline cars both in terms of crash-worthiness and fire risk.

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by scottieducati; 03-18-19 at 05:18 PM.

    CCS/LRRS #83

  14. #14
    Day late, dollar short carsick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cabot, VT
    Posts
    2,946

    0 Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

  15. #15
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,424

    Re: E Moto goes up in flames

    This post is dumb. You are providing a single data point of an EV catching fire, the assumption I am making is that you're doing it in counterpoint to Scotty's post....considering it was provided with no comment and directly proceeding his. That is not how statistics work. You cannot say "this EV caught fire, therefore EV's catch fire" in the same way you can't say "I've never seen racism, therefor racism doesn't exist." Single data points do not matter, they are in fact, foolish.

    0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  16. #16
    Day late, dollar short carsick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cabot, VT
    Posts
    2,946

    Re: E Moto goes up in flames

    I feel that in your rush to argue and defend, you've overlooked the fact that I posted it because it is funny. It burned to a crisp, on the ice. If I have to explain that, the irony was probably lost on you.
    There is no malice, guile, agenda, politics, foreign influence, secret backdoor money, vested interest in the downfall of EVs, conspiracy, strawman, red herring, logical fallacy, virtue signalling, dog whistling or whatever else y'all use to bully each other online. The argument you are looking for is not here.

    As you said, it was the assumption you were making.

    0 Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

  17. #17

    Re: E Moto goes up in flames

    Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    I'm not sure you really grasp the state of "current battery tech." More Ferrari's and Lambo's have caught fire in the past few years than EV's. There have been a few post-crash EV fires, but precious few instances of un-instigated thermal runaway or batteries blowing up. You WILL see this with consumer-grade products, but battery management and thermal management systems are standard for automotive applications, and very effective these days. Admittedly, the prevalence of EVs on the road isn't there yet to have decades of historical data, but here's something for perspective:

    About 174,000 vehicle fires were reported in the United States in 2015, the most recent year for which statistics are available from the National Fire Protection Association. Virtually all of those fires involved gasoline powered cars. That works out to about one every three minutes.

    Tesla claims that gasoline powered cars are about 11 times more likely to catch fire than a Tesla. It says the best comparison is fires per 1 billion miles driven. It says the 300,000 Teslas on the road have been driven a total of 7.5 billion miles, and about 40 fires have been reported. That works out to five fires for every billion miles traveled, compared to a rate of 55 fires per billion miles traveled in gasoline cars. (Source)

    New things always scare people until they figure out how to deal with them. Formula E has been going a couple of years now and have an *impeccable* safety, AND *reliability* record when it comes to their batteries. The TT-E class has also been going quite swimmingly for years, the "professional" outfits have had plenty of teething issues, but I have yet to hear of a total loss of a bike due to fire... whereas several traditional bikes are crashed, burnt to a crisp, and written off... each year.

    Also worth noting, the electric hypercar that Hammond totaled in the hill-climb burned down to nothing, but the technical debrief was pretty amazing and the company has learned new ways to make their cars safer. A natural byproduct of failures is engineering solutions and implementing appropriate protocols. I'm sure Tesla is constantly learning each time their car is involved in an accident or has a failure. ICE's have a good century head-start, and yet by most accounts EV's are likely *already safer* than gasoline cars both in terms of crash-worthiness and fire risk.
    I have no idea how the fire started. I was just referring to the fact that Lithium ion batteries are pretty flammable, not as flammable as gas of course.

    0 Not allowed!

  18. #18
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,424

    Re: E Moto goes up in flames

    Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    I feel that in your rush to argue and defend, you've overlooked the fact that I posted it because it is funny. It burned to a crisp, on the ice. If I have to explain that, the irony was probably lost on you.
    There is no malice, guile, agenda, politics, foreign influence, secret backdoor money, vested interest in the downfall of EVs, conspiracy, strawman, red herring, logical fallacy, virtue signalling, dog whistling or whatever else y'all use to bully each other online. The argument you are looking for is not here.

    As you said, it was the assumption you were making.
    You're right, I was feeling argumentative yesterday. Sorry Doug, I owe you a beer.

    0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  19. #19

    Re: E Moto goes up in flames

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    You don’t need to be charging for cells to go into thermal runaway.
    Sorry but I'm a bit lost here. When they refer to the charging unit ("The source of the short circuit has yet to be identified but, once the fire broke out, it ignited the high-density battery which is part of the high-performance charger used at MotoE™ events.") are they talking about on the bike or a charging station that the bikes would tie into?

    0 Not allowed!

  20. #20
    Senior Member MUZ720's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    648

    Re: E Moto goes up in flames


    1 Not allowed!

  21. #21
    Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    5,825

    Re: E Moto goes up in flames

    The Enel-supplied charger short circuited. The bikes were not plugged in, and were apparently victims of the fire (but likely made the damage worse). Incorporated into the charger is a high-density battery (different from what's on the bikes), which appears to be what really got the fire going.

    0 Not allowed!

    CCS/LRRS #83

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •