Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NH EZPass

NH EZPass

I heard over the weekend that for a short time the new NH EZPass modules are only $5. I just logged on to sign up and find out that I have to get different modules for my two cars and my bike, even though the toll amount is the same, and that they deduct $60 initially if you sign up 3 or 4 vehicles. $60 is gonna last me a friggin year.

It doesn't really look like EZPass is for me, but as an admitted tech nerd, I'm not sure I can help myself....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

NH EZPass

How would the state know you were switching vehicles with it? Just curious, cause I dont need 3-4 of these units either. I only drive one at a time?

NH EZPass

Originally posted by cbrf41999
    How would the state know you were switching vehicles with it? Just curious, cause I dont need 3-4 of these units either. I only drive one at a time?
    I'm not sure, and I was hoping someone would chime in that uses the Mass or Maine units with an answer to that one...granted it's only $5 extra right now...

I'm more peeved by the $60 I'm going to shell out because I register three vehicles...I won't have to replenish until 2008...

I Dance With Will

NH EZPass

i don't remember the last time i ride/drive thru tolls.

"fuckit!"

NH EZPass

Re: NH EZPass

Originally posted by 02 YZF 6
    I heard over the weekend that for a short time the new NH EZPass modules are only $5. I just logged on to sign up and find out that I have to get different modules for my two cars and my bike, even though the toll amount is the same, and that they deduct $60 initially if you sign up 3 or 4 vehicles. $60 is gonna last me a friggin year.

It doesn't really look like EZPass is for me, but as an admitted tech nerd, I'm not sure I can help myself....
    I just got this off the NH EZ-Pass website. Wouldn't your cars be in the same vehicle class? According to the answer to this question you don't need a tag for each car. I was also reading someplace last night about motorcycles too and I thought they were put in the same category as a car.

Do I have to set up a separate account for every car I own?

No, each vehicle should be listed on your application. You may interchange your tag amongst your vehicles, provided they are the same vehicle class, or you may request a tag for each vehicle.

Re: Re: NH EZPass

Originally posted by nhkenny
    I just got this off the NH EZ-Pass website. Wouldn't your cars be in the same vehicle class? According to the answer to this question you don't need a tag for each car. I was also reading someplace last night about motorcycles too and I thought they were put in the same category as a car.

Do I have to set up a separate account for every car I own?

No, each vehicle should be listed on your application. You may interchange your tag amongst your vehicles, provided they are the same vehicle class, or you may request a tag for each vehicle.
    Sorry, I should have clarified. I do only need two modules - one for my two cars, one for my bike. But those aren't interchangable...even though the cars and the bike have the same toll amount, you need different transponders apparently. I signed up last night and got two...they're cheap.

NH EZPass

By switching to EZPass, they are effectively raising the tolls for NH residents. Private (non-comercial) EZPass users will get a 30% toll discount. If you use the tokens, you get a 50% discount. That means that tolls will be going up by 40% for token users. Does anyone know if they are getting rid of the tokens or if MA Fast Lane will get the discount?

NH EZPass

Originally posted by ZX-12R
    By switching to EZPass, they are effectively raising the tolls for NH residents. Private (non-comercial) EZPass users will get a 30% toll discount. If you use the tokens, you get a 50% discount. That means that tolls will be going up by 40% for token users. Does anyone know if they are getting rid of the tokens or if MA Fast Lane will get the discount?
    Yeah, tokens are being phased out. From a story in today's Union Leader:

"The first E-ZPass toll booth is expected to open July 11 at the Hooksett toll plaza, with the rest of the system operating by mid-August when the Hampton toll plaza will be the last on-line.

The New Hampshire E-ZPass system will provide a 30 percent discount to private users and a 10 percent discount to commercial users.

To encourage people to use the new system, transponders will sell for $5 until May 1, 2006, when the price goes to between $25 and $30. New Hampshire officials said the transponders will be mailed during the first week of July to those who opened accounts. "

"Lawmakers and Gov. John Lynch and the Executive Council are at odds over how long tokens and their 50 percent discount should continue to be used on the turnpike system. Lawmakers want the use of tokens to end on Jan. 1, 2006, while the council approved a plan ending their use July 1, 2007.

Lawmakers also want people to pay the wholesale price for the transponder — between $25 and $30 — while the council has approved the lower fee for the first year. "

"Someone may have E-ZPass accounts in more than one state, but in order to receive the 30 discount on New Hampshire tolls, a person needs to buy a transponder from New Hampshire.

E-ZPass is a pre-paid system. Private accounts with one or two transponders require a $30 deposit to pay tolls, while private accounts with three or four transponders require a $60 deposit. Commercial accounts with five or more transponders require a pre-paid fee of $75 per transponder.

Although transportation officials had proposed monthly maintenance fees on the accounts, there are no fees or annual payments in the plan approved by the Executive Council.

Monthly statements will be available on the Internet for free, but a printed monthly mailing will cost $1 a month for private accounts and $2 for commercial accounts. "

The article actually clarifies a little mistake on the EZPass site...the EZPass website says you need to put $30 in your acct for 1 or 2 VEHICLES, and $60 for 3 or 4. The article says you only need to put $60 in for 3 or 4 TRANSPONDERS, not vehicles. I got two transponders last night, and it only charged me $30.

NH EZPass

What a scam. Hide a rate hike in a service meant to make things easier and less expensive. After the initial costs of the system are paid off, EZPass is much cheaper than paying toll booth operators. Now that the State is saving money, lets go ahead and charge more for tolls!

It is also lovely that out of state people with EZPass or equivalent will get to pay the full rate. I travel enough in NH so I might have to start a NH EZPass account in addition to my MA Fast Lane account.

NH EZPass

Originally posted by ZX-12R
    What a scam. Hide a rate hike in a service meant to make things easier and less expensive. After the initial costs of the system are paid off, EZPass is much cheaper than paying toll booth operators. Now that the State is saving money, lets go ahead and charge more for tolls!

It is also lovely that out of state people with EZPass or equivalent will get to pay the full rate. I travel enough in NH so I might have to start a NH EZPass account in addition to my MA Fast Lane account.

Yeah no kidding. It might hurt people who commute to Burlington or Concord from Manch...but I'm not too concerned since we're talking a few bucks a year for me. Thank you 101 for not having tolls...

But I do agree, it stinks in general. The article said they signed up nearly 6,000 people and had lines two hours long at the three signup stations (guess those people have never heard of the internet). So there doesn't seem to be much in the way of uproar around here. For me, I'll pay a few bucks more for the added convenience.

NH EZPass

Does anyone here have one of these attached to their bike? How big is it? How does it attach? Did you have to put it on your windscreen or can it be attached to somewhere on the bike that is less obtrusive yet within scanning range?

The reason I ask is because I d-loaded the "instruction manual.pdf" file to read up on this whole headache causing debacle. The picture they show of the "inside" windshield transponder looks as big as a friggin' anvil. I'm hoping that is picture of some real old 90's technology there.

see ya,
    DJD

NH EZPass

I'm sure it is similar to the MA fast lane pass which is about 3.5-4" square and less than an inch thick.

When I use fast lane with the motorcycle, it has never even acknowledged that I went through! I think their systems only scan for a transponder when an in ground sensor detects that a car is present. I hug the edge of the booth going through because of all the oil and I think I miss that sensor so the bike goes through for free!

NH EZPass

They're supposed to be interchangable between bikes & cages. They only exceptions are the cars they have listed that require an 'external mount' due to the metal contents in their windshields. You can have up to four vehicle on one unit and switch 'em between the vehicles (m/c's & cages are pretty much considered the same 'class'). It's only $30 to start an account 'cuz you only need ONE unit. That's why they ask you to list the vehicles you'll be using with that account/unit...

From what I understand, the system in NH is an antenna system and it shouldn't matter if you have it on a bike or car. That's what 'they' say anyway...

Tokens are indeed getting phased out. Being one that passes through the Hooksett tolls to AND from work, at least 5 days a week - I'll pay the extra 'fees' for EZPass, thanyouverymuch...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

NH EZPass

Originally posted by Stoneman
    They're supposed to be interchangable between bikes & cages. They only exceptions are the cars they have listed that require an 'external mount' due to the metal contents in their windshields. You can have up to four vehicle on one unit and switch 'em between the vehicles (m/c's & cages are pretty much considered the same 'class'). It's only $30 to start an account 'cuz you only need ONE unit. That's why they ask you to list the vehicles you'll be using with that account/unit...

From what I understand, the system in NH is an antenna system and it shouldn't matter if you have it on a bike or car. That's what 'they' say anyway...

Tokens are indeed getting phased out. Being one that passes through the Hooksett tolls to AND from work, at least 5 days a week - I'll pay the extra 'fees' for EZPass, thanyouverymuch...
    I don't dispute that the same transponder will work on cages AND bikes, but I did call to ask and I was told that cars and bikes are indeed two different classes and you are "supposed" to get different transponders for each class.

*shrug*

It's another $5, and I can permanently mount the bike one to my bike, so I got two.

NH EZPass

Oh and you thought we were done with this thread, did you?

Looks like lawmakers were so excited about the sales of the transponders that they increased the price nearly FIVEFOLD, starting July 16. In yesterday's paper they said the prices will not increase until May 1, 2006. That date has been moved forward to July 16, 2005.

From today's Union Leader article:

"The Legislature approved nearly a five-fold increase in the $5 price of the transponders last night, voting to boost the price to $24 on July 16."

" The measure also directs state government to stop selling discount tokens on Sept. 1 and to stop collecting them on Jan. 1, 2006."

Have I mentioned how much I hate the state reps? I know three personally...one is a guy from Manch who used to have his pool cleaned by my buddy's landscaping business - he ended up owing a couple grand and refused to pay, and they're still going to court about it. The other works with my dad...he's a complete lunatic who you can see on Manchester Public Television dressing up like the Taliban and ranting and raving about the war. The third was John Kerns, a kid I went to high school with who was kicked out of the House of Reps for passing bad checks with the State of NH on them. I swear, any dickhead can be a state rep, it's not hard.

NH EZPass

How much do they cost in mass?

--HBerry

LRRS# 285 - Retired
    04 ZX-6R
    88 EX500 - Broke

I feel it in my Nuggets CitizenFrye's Avatar

Cost

It's like 27.50 for the transponder in Mass....

NH EZPass

So I guess 24 bucks isn't that bad, correct?

--HBerry

LRRS# 285 - Retired
    04 ZX-6R
    88 EX500 - Broke

NH EZPass

why can't NE just use ONE form of electronic toll use? or the entire country for that reason?

NH EZPass

There are really only 2 systems. MA's Fast Land and everyone else's EZPass. The 2 systems are compatible with each other and they cost practically the same as well.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

NH EZPass

doesnt the website list all the highways you can use it on? mass, nh, maine, vt, etc.. are all on there and it says you can use it for all. i think bikes should be exempt from tolls anyway, they dont tear up the road like cages and semis do and its a pain in the ass. good thing i dont pay the tolls when i drive through them anyway

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I feel it in my Nuggets CitizenFrye's Avatar

Talking NH EZPass

Well took the plunge and paid for it and it was only 35 bucks.. 5 for the tag and 30 buck balance. and I listed the truck and bike.. Better than paying Mass 28 bucks for the Tag and then filling your account..

Re: NH EZPass

Originally posted by CitizenFrye
    Well took the plunge and paid for it and it was only 35 bucks.. 5 for the tag and 30 buck balance. and I listed the truck and bike.. Better than paying Mass 28 bucks for the Tag and then filling your account..
    Let me know how that goes...I called just to clarify and they said a bike and a car each required their own units because they are different classes. Though I doubt you'll have any issues...

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

NH EZPass

you cant go by what the state says...i asked them where i mount it on my bike and they told me "on the license plate" "but the plate is on the back" i said and they replied "oh......i dont know then"

GOD..............................IDIOTS
    i want to reiterate that bikes should be free

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast