Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Motocamping

Motocamping

Anybody do a lot of this kind of stuff?

After I bought my Multi I started really enjoying long weekend trips, which just weren't an option on the sport bikes I'd had prior. Hotels are great and all, but the idea of camping was more appealing so I started sorting out necessary gear. I grew up in the woods so I already had most of it. All in all I now have 57L of side bag storage, a Dry Spec D38 semi rigid bag on top, a bungee net to strap tent poles to the top of that, and a low profile tank bag. The amount of storage is crazy, but pretty necessary since it's normally myself and the girlfriend.

Typical load out is exactly what you'd expect. Mostly lower end backpacking gear, since I was keeping size in mind over weight. For cooking I have one of those simple stove tops that just screws onto a propane tank, though I've seen a ton of better options. Sea to Summit makes some awesome collapsible dinnerware. I usually carry 2L of water in a bladder but also carry a Sawyer Mini filter. I've been able to put together some pretty awesome meals (I love to cook), even with simple gear. The only thing I don't really have covered is a chair, considering a Helinox because sitting on the ground or a stump sucks, but it seems pricy. I do wish I had aluminum side bags to detach and sit on. An inflatable backpacking mattress was a huge improvement for comfort though.

I've done a few trips to upstate NY in the Lake Placid area and camped on Tripoli Road a couple times in the WMNF. Looking to stretch my legs some more this year. I'd like to avoid campgrounds for the most part, but finding free/secluded/legal/stealthy spots in areas I'm not super familiar with is proving tricky. I found Free Camping Near You | Go Camping for Free! which is pretty awesome. I'd like to get out more on class 6 / logging type roads as well, though I'm on Pilot Road 4's currently so nothing too rough, thinking about going to a more mixed use tire. The Hamster route on ADVrider looks pretty appealing. I emailed NH Fish & Game to see if they had any recommendations and basically got "Please don't do that" as a reply. Here in NH you can camp a certain distance away from the road free and legally in the WMNF, though I obviously don't want to abandon my bike and don't want to carry all the gear into the woods. As soon as it's warm enough I'm planning a 3 or 4 day lap around ME with a stop in Bar Harbor to start.

I guess the point of the thread is to see if anyone had any recommendations on gear, routes, must see places, good camp recipes, stories to share, anything really. I've read a lot on ADVrider, but there isn't a lot mentioned about motocamping around the North East.

Discuss...?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by RyanNicholson; 03-21-17 at 12:45 PM.

Re: Motocamping

You seen the articles by Tiffany on Motorcyclist? She did 49 states last year, and right now she's down in Mexico. Pretty awesome series on Motorcyclist she's been doing. I met her at the MotoAmerica test last year, super cool chick. Shes also friends with Alex and Jrod.

Girl Meets World on FZ-07 Motorcycle: Gear Essentials | Motorcyclist

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

For a chair, I used to use the two legged Monarch. Very small when folded and comfy when sitting in it. the two legs kind of makes you raise a brow but easily balanced with your feet out in front.

Rock straps are very handy to attach stuff to your dryspec. I'd put my chair, tent, and sleeping pad on top of the DS bag and strap them down.

You've got a great bike for what you're doing, no doubt.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

You aren't the first to recommend the Rok Straps... I'll have to check those out. It boggles my mind what compact chairs go for, I'll have to take a look at that Monarch.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Pretty amazing stuff, right? Bringing the world within reach like that, eh?
    I've done some similar stuff, I'm moving towards bikepacking at this point, and starting to amass stuff to do a multi day off-road bicycle tour/race in sept.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    You seen the articles by Tiffany on Motorcyclist? She did 49 states last year, and right now she's down in Mexico. Pretty awesome series on Motorcyclist she's been doing. I met her at the MotoAmerica test last year, super cool chick. Shes also friends with Alex and Jrod.

Girl Meets World on FZ-07 Motorcycle: Gear Essentials | Motorcyclist

I hadn't... but that's awesome. I'd like to work up to a 2 or 3 month trip around N/A in a year or two, though there's been some talk of long term travel over seas with the gf. We'll see what comes of that though.

Motocamping is awesome, especially when the weather is nice. A few rainy days in a row brings the suck factor up some, but there's something very freeing about camping off the bike.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

I haven't done motocamping myself, but I've got a huge collection of rides around the area that focus primarily on dirt, most of which are big bike friendly.

- Puppy Dog Route is a good over-nighter if you don't want to haul ass, and the mid point is a campground at Silver Lake in VT.

- Hampster Ride is similar, a good over-nighter as well, although I wouldn't recommend PR4's north of Littleton...anywhere south of that they'd be fine if the ground is dry. There are tons of campgrounds along the route.

- Northern New England Adventure Trail is a 3-4 day round trip ride from the top of Puppy Dog, through northern NH and northern Maine all the way to Nova Scotia. Seems like primarily logging roads, so again, I don't think its street tire friendly.

- Trans-PA Trail seems like it would be a fun camping excursion. I don't think its a street tire friendly ride though.

- I also have a 1000 mile route through the Adirondacks and northern PA called the UdCatDak1000 that would make for a good camping trip.

- And I have a Trans-NJ Trail route that traverses NJ vertically with lots of camping spots along the way. That's a multi-day ride with BBF and hero sections aplenty.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 03-21-17 at 12:49 PM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    I haven't done motocamping myself, but I've got a huge collection of rides around the area that focus primarily on dirt, most of which are big bike friendly.

- Puppy Dog Route is a good over-nighter if you don't want to haul ass, and the mid point is a campground at Silver Lake in VT.

- Hampster Ride is similar, a good over-nighter as well, although I wouldn't recommend PR4's north of Littleton...anywhere south of that they'd be fine if the ground is dry. There are tons of campgrounds along the route.

- Northern New England Adventure Trail is a 3-4 day round trip ride from the top of Puppy Dog, through northern NH and northern Maine all the way to Nova Scotia. Seems like primarily logging roads, so again, I don't think its street tire friendly.

- Trans-PA Trail seems like it would be a fun camping excursion. I don't think its a street tire friendly ride though.

- I also have a 1000 mile route through the Adirondacks and northern PA called the UdCatDak1000 that would make for a good camping trip.

Yea I've seen you post in a few similar threads on ADVrider about some of those routes, which is really what got me thinking about getting more adventurous with this. Some more dirt friendly tires would be awesome, though I'd hate to give up the performance of a road tire. Maybe a second set of rims are in order...

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    Yea I've seen you post in a few similar threads on ADVrider about some of those routes, which is really what got me thinking about getting more adventurous with this. Some more dirt friendly tires would be awesome, though I'd hate to give up the performance of a road tire. Maybe a second set of rims are in order...
    You might be surprised by what something like an 80/20 tire will let you get away with both on and off road.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

FWIW my TKC70's are excellent in anything but mud, and they have a ton of grip on the road as well. I stupidly dragged the boxes on my Super Adventure last year with them, not the smartest thing in the world but they stick. And my buddy and I did 2 track rutted out snowmobile trails in Pittsburg and rocky UTV trails in the ADKs on the Conti TA2's without much trouble.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 03-21-17 at 12:56 PM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    You might be surprised by what something like an 80/20 tire will let you get away with both on and off road.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    FWIW my TKC70's are excellent in anything but mud, and they have a ton of grip on the road as well. I stupidly dragged the boxes on my Super Adventure last year with them, not the smartest thing in the world but they stick. And my buddy and I did 2 track rutted out snowmobile trails in Pittsburg and rocky UTV trails in the ADKs on the Conti TA2's without much trouble.
    Yea I suppose that's legit. An old racing buddy of mine rocks a knobby tire on his GS's and he can be tough to keep up with on pavement. I really only have experience with road tires, so it's probably more of a mental issue over a performance one.

Lifer

throw it on a boat and come over here to Europe. There is some truly stunning places that words can't describe. motocamping is a passion here too so it's easy to find info on what to see and do.

Ridge Hunter Dove Stool |
    Bass Pro Shops: The Best Hunting, Fishing, Camping & Outdoor Gear

Couple of those strapped to the top of the top bag and you're good. They're small enough when folded that I can go just about anywhere in the woods with it hanging by my side, even when I'm bringing gear/firearms/game feed out to my blinds & feeding spots. Comfy enough to sit in for a while - I've spent the better part of the day perched on these in my blinds. Yeah, they're not luxurious but they work and they're cheap...

There's also tripod versions. I found those more of a pain to sit in though...

I've seen them at Wally World for $5.00 in the past...

All that being said - if you wanna do a quick weekend off the beaten path, you're welcome to hit the property. Probably not much more than a half hour or so from you, but if you're looking for a quick getaway or shakedown run it's there. Only thing is it's only about a half mile into the woods, down a very passable Class VI road that's off a very well maintained Class V road...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    throw it on a boat and come over here to Europe. There is some truly stunning places that words can't describe. motocamping is a passion here too so it's easy to find info on what to see and do.
    That's a very serious consideration in the future, I'd kill to ride/camp around Europe. I have mixed feels about taking a Duc on a trip like that, simply because it isn't the easiest to work on to begin with, let alone on the side of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Ridge Hunter Dove Stool |
    Bass Pro Shops: The Best Hunting, Fishing, Camping & Outdoor Gear

Couple of those strapped to the top of the top bag and you're good. They're small enough when folded that I can go just about anywhere in the woods with it hanging by my side, even when I'm bringing gear/firearms/game feed out to my blinds & feeding spots. Comfy enough to sit in for a while - I've spent the better part of the day perched on these in my blinds. Yeah, they're not luxurious but they work and they're cheap...

There's also tripod versions. I found those more of a pain to sit in though...

I've seen them at Wally World for $5.00 in the past...

All that being said - if you wanna do a quick weekend off the beaten path, you're welcome to hit the property. Probably not much more than a half hour or so from you, but if you're looking for a quick getaway or shakedown run it's there. Only thing is it's only about a half mile into the woods, down a very passable Class VI road that's off a very well maintained Class V road...

That's definitely a consideration. I've thought about just picking up some of the tripod versions simply because they fold down so small, in the short term. Anything is better than sitting on the ground.

Definitely appreciate the offer to use your land! I'll reach out as the season comes closer.

That's definitely a consideration. I've thought about just picking up some of the tripod versions simply because they fold down so small, in the short term. Anything is better than sitting on the ground.

Definitely appreciate the offer to use your land! I'll reach out as the season comes closer.
    Keep in mind we spend a lot of time out there spring/summer/fall. Working on trails, harvesting firewood, shooting, hunting, just fucking around. But you're certainly welcome. Plenty of firewood out there, and we have a decent little barrel firepit. Plenty of level ground to park & camp, nice trail down to the river, etc...

I didn't like the tripod stools, BTW. Just didn't like the way they felt under me. If you go that route, try both styles first...

If you are going to Bar Harbor, call ahead for reservations. I did a moto-camping trip last year with a buddy (where everything that could go wrong did) and we showed up cold and hungry to a fully booked campsite in Acadia and no hotel vacancy at all in Bar Harbor.

I'll second the chair Falko mentioned, mostly because I own it now and I used it. It's mint and small for this.

Always bring a warmer bag than you need.......

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I always being along a couple of 10'x10' tarps, one to go under my tent. my tent is a 7'x9' dome, so I leave the 3 extra feet in front of the door, to take my boots off and bang the dirt off them to keep the inside floor clean, it also helps when tou roll the tent up, your putting it away on a clean surface instead of the forest floor, the other tarp, I string up where I will ve cooking and eating, I also bring along at least 50' of ¼" nylon rope/cord and plenty of extra bungees

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I do a lot of 4-season camping/hiking/bikepacking and have great plans for some motocamping with the DR this year. I've been getting some route ideas from ADVRider, Facebook groups, etc. which I'll share when I sort through it all.

The camping part is definitely tough, and I'd like to get to locations you can't take a bike. I've actually thought about chaining the bike and hiking in, probably having some good theft coverage too. My camping gear obsession got a bit extreme so my base weight is well under 10lbs w/ full kit, so I'm going to try and pack everything in my 65L Hyperlite, then maybe some extra gas & goodies. Still need to decide on a good rack, but my goal is to keep it barebones.

When I bring my Z-Lite sleeping pad that basically serves as my chair. It's tough, you can throw it anywhere - a log, rock, etc, seats 2-3 comfortably. I also have a small self-inflating foam "seat" also from Therma Rest. As far as actual chairs go, I've not found one compact/light enough to pack out with so I haven't gone down that road yet.

The Sawyer Mini rocks! Put a lot of gallons through that little guy, haha.

Great pics - New England woods, campfire, bike, and what I'm assuming is your wife/lady friend and not a captive.

Last edited by Tekime; 03-21-17 at 05:30 PM.
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    If you are going to Bar Harbor, call ahead for reservations. I did a moto-camping trip last year with a buddy (where everything that could go wrong did) and we showed up cold and hungry to a fully booked campsite in Acadia and no hotel vacancy at all in Bar Harbor.

I'll second the chair Falko mentioned, mostly because I own it now and I used it. It's mint and small for this.

Always bring a warmer bag than you need.......
    Yea I can imagine it fills up quick out there. Once I saw that the KOA had spots right on the beach I planned on reserving one of those as part of the trip. I'll probably end up leaving after work on a Thursday and head north/east, then make my way over there on Friday then spent Sat/Sun looping around Maine the long way. Route suggestions are more than welcome.

I got a great deal on a 30* Marmot extra wide mummy bag last year, it compresses down really small and has served me well thus far. I can fit two of them in the DS bag with plenty of room to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I always being along a couple of 10'x10' tarps, one to go under my tent. my tent is a 7'x9' dome, so I leave the 3 extra feet in front of the door, to take my boots off and bang the dirt off them to keep the inside floor clean, it also helps when tou roll the tent up, your putting it away on a clean surface instead of the forest floor, the other tarp, I string up where I will ve cooking and eating, I also bring along at least 50' of ¼" nylon rope/cord and plenty of extra bungees
    The tent I'm using now does have a decent vestibule, though a tarp isn't a bad idea for longer trips where the weather might get crappy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    I do a lot of 4-season camping/hiking/bikepacking and have great plans for some motocamping with the DR this year. I've been getting some route ideas from ADVRider, Facebook groups, etc. which I'll share when I sort through it all.

The camping part is definitely tough, and I'd like to get to locations you can't take a bike. I've actually thought about chaining the bike and hiking in, probably having some good theft coverage too. My camping gear obsession got a bit extreme so my base weight is well under 10lbs w/ full kit, so I'm going to try and pack everything in my 65L Hyperlite, then maybe some extra gas & goodies. Still need to decide on a good rack, but my goal is to keep it barebones.

When I bring my Z-Lite sleeping pad that basically serves as my chair. It's tough, you can throw it anywhere - a log, rock, etc, seats 2-3 comfortably. I also have a small self-inflating foam "seat" also from Therma Rest. As far as actual chairs go, I've not found one compact/light enough to pack out with so I haven't gone down that road yet.

The Sawyer Mini rocks! Put a lot of gallons through that little guy, haha.

Great pics - New England woods, campfire, bike, and what I'm assuming is your wife/lady friend and not a captive.
    I've had the same thoughts regarding bringing a chair (let alone two). The space they take up vs the value they add seems to barely add up. My opinion on that may change when I actually bring one though.

I've been reading a decent amount about "stealth" camping, there's a long thread on ADVrider... consensus seems to be along the lines of keeping it bare bones to not catch attention, but if someone finds you in a questionable place just play it off as though you're just a tired rider catching some rest and not making a camping trip out of the situation. I'd think I would only take that approach if I can't find a more legit spot by dusk though.

I've had the same thoughts regarding bringing a chair (let alone two). The space they take up vs the value they add seems to barely add up. My opinion on that may change when I actually bring one though.

I've been reading a decent amount about "stealth" camping, there's a long thread on ADVrider... consensus seems to be along the lines of keeping it bare bones to not catch attention, but if someone finds you in a questionable place just play it off as though you're just a tired rider catching some rest and not making a camping trip out of the situation. I'd think I would only take that approach if I can't find a more legit spot by dusk though.
    Avoiding fires is probably the best way to fly under the radar. Most people don't care / won't notice if you don't have a fire raging. MSR Pocket Rocket is a great compact way to cook.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

I guess the economics are a little different traveling solo, but I always liked knowing what options we had at the end of a long day. Campgrounds split between people are cheap.

For easy stealth camping Canada is where it's at.

I think we only paid for 4 or 5 nights the last 2 week trip we did.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

To expand a bit on the tarp thing: back when I used to tent A LOT, I always had one under the tent as well. I used a bit larger one for over the tent as moisture would always seem to find a way in even with the best rain fly...

And if you ever end up at the property, fire away. Keep it in the firepit or fire ring and I don't care how big it gets! LOL!

I have the Helinox chair, believe REI sells a clone for less. Actually made some leg extensions to make it higher.

Been using a Coleman Peak stove forever, as it can run on gas. Also have an MSR that is much more compact but requires setup. Before that I used an inexpensive tripod chair or sat on my side cases.

Had a small, polycarbonate French Press for coffee, but found it cooled down too fast and I'd be making coffee for others. So upgraded to a Thermos SS 34 ounce press/mug. About $30 now.

Use a 2" or 3" self-inflating pad, which takes up quite a bit of space. But air mattresses are coming back.

Twisted Throttle sells a double-ended waterproof bag with lots of attachments. Awesome product.

Last edited by Garandman; 03-23-17 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Use a 2" or 3" self-inflating pad, which takes up quite a bit of space. But air mattresses are coming back.
    Nice setup. I'm in love with StS for sleeping pads. Been using the Sea to Summit Ultralight for the summer, Sea to Summit Comfort Plus for winter.

The ultralight is tiny and < 1lb. But if you aren't carrying the gear around, a self-inflating foam/air pad is probably the way to go for comfort. LL Bean has their own line of pads now that are quite comfortable and reasonably affordable.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast