Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Motoman break in procedure, 21 years later

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Re: Motoman break in procedure, 21 years later

The "motoman" break in method basically means high cylinder pressure so that the gas that gets behind the compression rings has as much pressure as possible to push the rings outward and into the cylinder walls. This makes them seal better than light pressure from a light load while they break in. The principle would apply to any engine with piston rings. I know for a fact the diesels engines suffer from cylinder wall "glazing" if they are not run under sufficient load often, so a hard break in makes good sense to me on a diesel.

The Caterpillar diesels in my boat get loaded up with crud if I don't run them hard every few hours. When I cruised the Erie Canal, I had to go <10 MPH for 180 or so miles on the western half and I was unable to load the engines the entire time. We I got to Lake Oneida, I throttled up and left a massive cloud of gray smoke (it was expected) in my wake as the engines cleared themselves out. I always run them at 80% load for a few minutes at the start and end of every cruising segment if I can. My owner's manual says to do that too.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

111k miles on one motorcycle acquired in 2022... I started riding in 2001, and would love to know if I amassed 111k miles on nearly 20 street, track, and race motorcycles since then

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

iirc, the owners manual for the E30 BMW that I had, suggested an occasional high rpm drive to get engine up to maximum temperature?, something like 2 minutes near redline, I did it by getting on highway and staying in 2nd gear for 3 miles or so. it's been 20 years since I had thar car

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Hypertarded

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

So it probably goes without saying, because they specify years…

But bodywork from a 94-97 zx9r won’t fit a 98/99, correct?

I think th egg changed the swingarm between those gens, so wonder if it’s just the tail that wouldn’t fit.

- - - Updated - - -

Surprised to find full sets of plastics on eBay and Amazon for zx9s at what seem to be cheap prices…

Your park avenue leads to..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12