Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Motorcycle dealer sales ??'s

Motorcycle dealer sales ??'s

So as noted in another recent post I bought (have not taken delivery) of a 2009 Yamaha Fz1.
    I had a slightly annoying conversation yesterday at the dealer, as follows:

Me: So we are all set with paperwork?

Dealer: What day do you want to pick the bike up?

Me: Shooting for Friday.

Dealer: I hope we can accommodate that.

Me: Why would you not be able to?

Dealer: We don't have the title for the bike....

Me: Ummmm, come again!

Dealer: We paid the bike off on the 18th and have not received the title yet, should be here by Friday.

Me: Vein popping out of forehead, leaves in anger.

Keep in mind I had already signed the check over to the dealer and was never informed @ any point they did not have the title. Granted I never asked, but in 20+yrs of riding and owning over 35 motorcycles I have never run into this with a dealer..........
    So my question is this a normal practice? According to my wife who used to work for Toyota and Lexus financial, Toyota's policy was if the car was for sale the dealer had to have the title in their possession.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Motorcycle dealer sales ??'s

You should be alright if this is in Mass and they are doing the paperwork transfer for you or getting you new plates.

Chapter 90D, Section 16. Dealers; Assignment and Warranty of Title; Record of Transactions) [The statute quoted here (or portion thereof) is current as of the posting date. You may check the statute at the website of the General Court at http://www.mass.gov/legis. Click on “General Laws”]

Section 16. (a) If a dealer buys a vehicle and holds it for resale and procures the certificate of title from the owner or the lienholder after delivery to him of the vehicle, he need not send the certificate to the registrar but, upon transferring the vehicle to another person other than by the creation of a security interest, shall promptly execute the assignment and warranty of title by a dealer, showing the names and addresses of the transferee and of any lienholder holding a security interest created or reserved at the time of the resale and the date of his security agreement, in the spaces provided therefor on the certificate or as the registrar prescribes, and mail or deliver the certificate to the registrar or transferee with the transferee’s application for a new certificate.

TIMMYDUCK

this isn't that big of a deal.

I work in the car business in CT.

there are the random occasions where someone buys a car sooner than we expected.

so in the example of we take in a trade, but it has a lien that we pay off, but we already had a buyer lined up for the car, then its our goal to get the car out and on the road, worst case scenario we put you on dealer plates for a few days

Are you transferring plates from a trade in?

it's friday, did you get your bike? fz1

Quote Originally Posted by 7UPyours View Post
    it's friday, did you get your bike? fz1
    Nope, very annoyed @ this point. Every time that speak to the dealer the dates of when they sent the payoff check for the bike or the date the bank released the title changes.....

Still have not found a concrete answer if a Massachusetts motorcycle dealer can sell a vehicle without the title in their possession.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    Are you transferring plates from a trade in?
    No trade in.

I was under the impression dealers in MA couldn't retail a vehicle without having possession.

The second part of what Timmyduck posted implies that as well. The first part means when they buy the car at auction etc... they do not have to immediately re -title the car.

I read the second part as requiring the dealer to immediately re-assign the title, which they can't do if they don't have it.

Last edited by e30addict; 05-02-14 at 02:44 PM.

So the dealer still has the bike? If you're really annoyed with them just ask for your money back. You haven't taken the vehicle and they haven't registered it in your name yet. So it's not a done deal yet.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    I was under the impression dealers in MA couldn't retail a vehicle without having possession.

The second part of what Timmyduck posted implies that as well. The first part means when they buy the car at auction etc... they do not have to immediately re -title the car.

I read the second part as requiring the dealer to immediately re-assign the title, which they can't do if they don't have it.
    Hopefully this ads a little clarity, the dealer took on trade a 2009 Yamaha Fz1 which has a lien on it. Last Saturday I left a deposit on the Fz1, Wednesday I gave them a bank check for the bike (from St. Marys credit union). I was then informed they did not have possession of the title, as it stands I paid for the bike and it is sitting @ the dealer awaiting the title so they can register it.

I have had a completely shitty day @ work to top it off. Actually debating whether to call St. Marys and see if they can put stop payment on the check, if it has not been already cashed.

Maybe a few of these will help.

Just fuckin wait ya pansey....you like the bike.... now-a-days it shouldnt take too long for the title...most are E titles anyway. A week at most. Now if it were June 15th and you had to wait a week or two, then Id be pissed they didnt say that up front.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice brew, by the way

Hoping it gets all straightened out and you can ride! A couple of my friends have FZ1's and they are pretty cool. Both have made upgrades, changed suspensions, etc., but still a cool bike! Too heavy for me to drive, but I was a passenger and it wasn't a bad ride at all. Has some pick-me-up and you can throw it into corners if you so wish.

What color you get?

2016 Ninja 650

Motorcycle dealer sales ??'s-09ms_fz1_blu_s1_3a26582f-jpg

Motorcycle dealer sales ??'s-09ms_fz1_blu_s3_a2926824-jpg

Motorcycle dealer sales ??'s-190348d1244776226-fz-1s-side3a-jpg

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by duganc1717; 05-04-14 at 05:11 PM.