Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Motorcycle deaths rise sharply

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...M_Exclude=Juno

Seems like this summer it never stops. Been hearing more and more about bad motorcycle accidents all over. So this is a reminder :

Stay safe, ride well and stay very much alert this season for unattentive veichals while driving on these bad roads up here in New England.

Not kidding and no drama here, I am serious
    Todd

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Todd

thats a good article, it hits on a lot of good points. i think the sharp increase in sales has a lot to do with it. its interesting that the 35-50 year olds are mentioned as buying big bikes as beginners. i thought the 18 year old first time riders who buy 1000cc sportbikes would have been a higher stat. it seems like everyone i talk to has a bike. motorcycle sales are a good business right now. ride safe people.

Tony
    '02 954RR

Things that make you go hmmmm

well cagers on cell phones watching dvd's

looking for cd's i'm sure has a lot 2 do with it
    when i first started riding it was so diff. cagers used 2 let you go
    now it's all me & fuck him i have the right 2 cutt him off
    the me me me gen Xers are sux ass drivers !!!!!

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

beet, I recall about a year ago when a bunch of you got pulled over on the first ride of the year for lane-splitting traffic, wheelies, etc.

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

what are you saying you never been on a spirted ride

Originally posted by bentbryan
    beet, I recall about a year ago when a bunch of you got pulled over on the first ride of the year for lane-splitting traffic, wheelies, etc.
    & i've been run over sitting @ a stop sighn so what are you saying
    + the fact that ive been sport road riding b-for you wher born

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

I don't care how long you've been riding. My point is that *you* (the rider) is more often than not, *your* own worst enemy. It's no secret. Yeah, cars pull out in front of bikes everyday. But it's the bikes doing triple the speed limit that can't negotiate the crisis. I don't want to see ANYBODY get hurt, but I get so sick of riders blowing sunshine up each other's asses blaming 'cagers' for every accident. BULLSHIT!!!!! You want to give younger riders sage advice? Tell them to take it easy!

And you're right on about cellphones and CDs. All the more reason for people to take it down a notch or two. Want to ride fast? Get to the track.

Be safe out there guys!

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

I think it is time for the graduated motorcycle license! Also I believe everyone who goes for a motorcycle endorsed license should be required to take MSF classes.

Jamie

I'd like to see if the number of deaths to sales ratios have changed, yes deaths have rised, but so havent sales. so when there's more motorcycles on the road there's going to be more deaths. cant just have these one sided statistics..... very good article though. and yes i agree the msf course is a must, I learned more than i could have on the road.

Lifer

Wanted to add to what Bryan said.

I am not going to criticize anyone who has had a bad accident, but if I end up being one of the riders who dies I don't want people doing all this politically correct crap blaming the cager. Go ahead and say I deserved it, etc..

I know chances are really high if I have a fatal accident I will be at fault. It probably WILL involve a car pulling out in front of me like Bryan said, BUT I highly suspect it would require me to be having a momentary lapse in judgement and getting rev happy. If I'm just chilling and the car pulls out in front of me I'm almost positive I would be able to negotiate the situation without getting killed. The problem is when you end up with the double whammy of the cager being stupid AND you are speeding.

We are all personally responsible for what happens to us when we ride. Whether you are "dead right" or "dead wrong", you are still dead.

right and it is nothing new that cageers can't drive and are oblivious...it is up to YOU to watchout for THEM..

"It's not who's right...it's who's left."

Agree with Bryan - I've seen a lot of bikers this summer doing REALLY stupid things - I'm not saying these are the guys getting in or causing accidents, but we should all try to be more responsible riders.

Why are they going to conduct a study on this they already know the answers. These people just love to spend money like theres no tomorrow.

Originally posted by skiierx
    I think it is time for the graduated motorcycle license! Also I believe everyone who goes for a motorcycle endorsed license should be required to take MSF classes.

Jamie

Kimberly
    2008 Ford F350 crew cab Super Duty 6.4L diesel
    1998 Superhawk 996
    ZX-Stewie's Other half

www.hornblasters.com
    www.cartier-farms.com

*you* the rider sitting @ a stop sighn

Originally posted by bentbryan
    I don't care how long you've been riding. My point is that *you* (the rider) is more often than not, *your* own worst enemy. It's no secret. Yeah, cars pull out in front of bikes everyday. But it's the bikes doing triple the speed limit that can't negotiate the crisis. I don't want to see ANYBODY get hurt, but I get so sick of riders blowing sunshine up each other's asses blaming 'cagers' for every accident. BULLSHIT!!!!! You want to give younger riders sage advice? Tell them to take it easy!

And you're right on about cellphones and CDs. All the more reason for people to take it down a notch or two. Want to ride fast? Get to the track.

Be safe out there guys!
    is the only time ive been crashed in 30 years of riding
    speak for your self not for me
    *you* (the rider) is more often than not, *your* own worst enemy

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules

motorcycle fatalities are on the rise because motorcycle riding is on the rise, I'd be willing to bet that stasticly per miles ridden, the fatality rate is dropping

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

Originally posted by RandyO
    motorcycle fatalities are on the rise because motorcycle riding is on the rise, I'd be willing to bet that stasticly per miles ridden, the fatality rate is dropping
    Did anyone actually read the article?

It lists the fatality rates. They have increased at the same time # of riders and # of fatal accidents have increased.

There are MORE riders riding MORE dangerously.

I don't understand why this is shocking. Everyone and their brother is suddenly running out to get a bike, the popular bikes are either 1000cc+ hyperbikes that have "For experts only" stamped all over them, or they are totally ridiculous choppers that are probably unsafe, have no rear suspension, monster rear tires, and reliability problems. Meanwhile we are bombarded with images on TV of goons like Jesse James riding around without any protective gear.

agreed

Originally posted by benVFR
    Wanted to add to what Bryan said.

I am not going to criticize anyone who has had a bad accident, but if I end up being one of the riders who dies I don't want people doing all this politically correct crap blaming the cager. Go ahead and say I deserved it, etc..

I know chances are really high if I have a fatal accident I will be at fault. It probably WILL involve a car pulling out in front of me like Bryan said, BUT I highly suspect it would require me to be having a momentary lapse in judgement and getting rev happy. If I'm just chilling and the car pulls out in front of me I'm almost positive I would be able to negotiate the situation without getting killed. The problem is when you end up with the double whammy of the cager being stupid AND you are speeding.

We are all personally responsible for what happens to us when we ride. Whether you are "dead right" or "dead wrong", you are still dead.
    the slab the safest place 2 ride it sux & boring on the high way
    & i go about 10 mph faster then traffic speeding on the is the safest place 0/0 wise if speed kills why are the po always speeding
    the autobaun is safer then usa roads

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules

NESR ruined my life. chr|s sedition's Avatar

I don't understand why this is shocking. Everyone and their brother is suddenly running out to get a bike, the popular bikes are either 1000cc+ hyperbikes that have "For experts only" stamped all over them, or they are totally ridiculous choppers that are probably unsafe, have no rear suspension, monster rear tires, and reliability problems. Meanwhile we are bombarded with images on TV of goons like Jesse James riding around without any protective gear.

b-i-n-g-o

"Up front there ought to be a man in black." -John Cash

LISTEN TO SLAYER
    If I get another fuckin' bike stolen...

It lists the fatality rates. They have increased at the same time # of riders and # of fatal accidents have increased.

There are MORE riders riding MORE dangerously.

did YOU read the article?

"There's a huge group of people ages 35 to 50 who have purchased motorcycles," Rabe said. "But they're still beginning riders."
    They are hinting around that it is these guys riding with no helemts that is causeing the spike..

Which IMO make a lot of sense...kids have been buying sportbikes and killing themselves on them since they came out...while there maybe be a little bit of a rise..it isnt that much...

It's the cruiser market that has grown by leaps and bounds...and it just aint cool to ride one without a helmet...spend some time in RI or CT and you'll see. These same guys will ride to one bar and then to another.....and the rest is history

and in MA or any other state all they will have on are those stupid Yamaka's on their melon...

and typically "these guys" are middle aged guys with more money then brains.....

jeez ben you sure are stereotyping sportbike riders

Lifer

Hey it is true, we are all riding way faster bikes then what was available 10-20 years ago.

Hey it is true, we are all riding way faster bikes then what was available 10-20 years ago.
    it is..but they were fast back then too...

but 10-20 years ago..there was no cruiser market(least not what it is now). Just harley's... then the middle aged family guy couldnt pony up the dough for a harely....now the metric crusiers make it affordable....

Lifer

Harleys used to be affordable, it wasn't cool to own one. The metric cruisers have been around since the 1980s.

I don't know, why do we talk about it so much. Motorcycles are dangerous, ummkay?

I think it probably just has to do with bikes being a current fad. We can blame it all on H-D, they have performed the biggest marketing miracle of the 20th century IMO. They made every baby boomer want a motorcycle so bad they were ready to do anything to get one.

no bikes are not realy that much faster IMO

lbs are way down but ive been riding the big bores & i dont see
    it . & the fact that you can get killed on any bike.
    lets face it we are @ risk of b-ing the next 1 down every time you put your leg over a bike .
    every fucking year this shit comes out
    if the death % came down would you say hey ride like hell
    your safe

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast