Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Motorcycle insurance help

Motorcycle insurance help

So in an attempt to cut down on bills i've been looking to possible change my bike insurance, currently im paying a little over 200 a month for full coverage on my 03 954. Still being under 25 or 7 years of driving or whatever it is and having a few speeding tickets under my belt definitely hurts my rates. But my question is, is having full coverage on a bike worth it?

I own the bike
    03 cbr 954
    currently on commerce insurance

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    - TJ

Re: Motorcycle insurance help

I told my agent I want to be covered for bike getting stolen and extra medical bills my health insurance may not cover and if some uninsured deuche from NH hits me and breaks my bones.

As a result I saved quite a bit.
    But, if I wreck the bike and it's my fault I do not get paid for the bike.
    You may even want to go as far as saying if it gets stolen you'll suck it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Origin View Post
    So in an attempt to cut down on bills i've been looking to possible change my bike insurance, currently im paying a little over 200 a month for full coverage on my 03 954. Still being under 25 or 7 years of driving or whatever it is and having a few speeding tickets under my belt definitely hurts my rates. But my question is, is having full coverage on a bike worth it?

I own the bike
    03 cbr 954
    currently on commerce insurance
    "Worth it" is a very loose term and up for interpretation. You need to take a look at your policy and see what you are actually paying for the collision coverage, then consider what your deductible is and think about when the expense isn't worth the value of the coverage. If you're paying $500 in collision now with a $500 deductible and you get in an accident this time next year, great you've spent less than the bike is worth. If you get in an accident 10 years from now and have been paying for collision the whole time, you've spent way more than the bike is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMoto View Post
    I told my agent I want to be covered for bike getting stolen and extra medical bills my health insurance may not cover and if some uninsured deuche from NH hits me and breaks my bones.
    Ted, double check your policy to make sure he gave you good limits on part 3 and 12, but make sure he gave you some medical payments coverage as well. The $8k you have in part 2 will really only pay out in about .001% of times you need it on a bike (very different from a car). Med pay coverage will fill the gaps in your health insurance regardless of who is at fault for the accident.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

On an 03 it probably doesn't make sense to carry full coverage. Ask yourself what is the value of the bike (the insurance payout abount in a total) versus what you're paying for that. I'd want at a min 10-1 before I'd consider full coverage.

I have 07 Triumph Sprint ST value is probably $6500 or so. Full coverage about 1k a year, at that price I can self insure. 100/300 liability only 150$ for the year.

Math works out different depending on the value of the bike.