Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Motorcycle parking in condos

Motorcycle parking in condos

Mods: Please move it to appropriate place if this doesn’t belong here.

I need some opinions and thoughts from fellow riders and members.

I own and live in a condo. Motorcycles were allowed to be parked in the condo parking lot till now. The condo board recently decided and voted not to allow motorcycles – I don’t know why. I have a motorcycle (obviously !) and want to park it in my designated parking space. How can I get the board to allow this ? As a owner of a condo unit, do I have a say on this ? Do I have any rights ? Or its purely the board members’ decision – their whims & fancies ?

I thought the board represents the owners and should consult them – I don’t think the owners were consulted – at least, I wasn’t.

I hate to park my bike away and have to drive to ride it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

Re: Motorcycle parking in condos

Is it assigned or deeded Parking?

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Sorry, what is deeded Parking ? Each unit owner gets 2 parking spaces total - one designated, numbered space and one un-numbered space (first-come basis; for residents & visitors)

Sounds like it's time to get a lawyer that deals with Condo associations.

Quote Originally Posted by venk25 View Post
    I own and live in a condo. Motorcycles were allowed to be parked in the condo parking lot till now. The condo board recently decided and voted not to allow motorcycles – I don’t know why.
    Are there any other motorcyclists in your condo complex? Sounds like it's time to get together and talk to the condo board to find out why they have decided to ban motorcycles. Noise? Taking up parking spaces that they think are better suited for cars? Sounds strange that they would just do this without some sort of reason. From there you know what you are dealing with and how to work to try to change it.

-kim

drz400sm

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2473/3532494258_79ceb54614.jpg

Is being grandfathered in an option?

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

Ask why, they have to tell you. You have the right to know as a condo owner. If they give you a bogus answer tell them you will be consulting a lawyer and promptly suing them for discrimination.

This isnt like a ski mountain where they can ban snowboarders. A ticket buys you a pass onto property. You not only own property/space there you also pay a condo fee. Push the subject if they resist.

2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

Quote Originally Posted by kermita View Post
    Are there any other motorcyclists in your condo complex? Sounds like it's time to get together and talk to the condo board to find out why they have decided to ban motorcycles. Noise? Taking up parking spaces that they think are better suited for cars? Sounds strange that they would just do this without some sort of reason. From there you know what you are dealing with and how to work to try to change it.
    ...hey...you tryin' to horn in on being an 'Adult Voice of Reason'? doesn't someone just think he should blow something up or at least get a few guys and lift it?

...actually...kermita's advice is spot on...course of action is easier to sort out when you know the facts and details!

carry on....

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

Sorry, what is deeded Parking ? Each unit owner gets 2 parking spaces total - one designated, numbered space and one un-numbered space (first-come basis; for residents & visitors)
    Assigned is when the condo Trust owns the spaces and you are granted exclusive use of, Deeded is when you own the land of the actual parking space.

Check your condo docs, Ask your management company for a copy of the minutes from the condo meeting where the change was decided. You should contact your condo trustees (not the management company) and find out what the problems with bikes are? Find out If you can get an exemption or grandfather clause since you owned the bike before these rules were dreamed of, Get your neighbors to help you get it put up for consideration at your next condo meeting.

Try to avoid Dealing with the management company directly on this. Some larger management companies Often propose rules that make the management easier as opposed to serving the owners they are hired to Help.

PM me if you need more info or have questions.

Yes I do this for a living

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Thanks for all the responses. I'm first going to approach the board and find out the reason and if I can be grandfathered in or work out something amicably. I like to deal this peacefully. Don't want to unnecessarily piss off HOA.

Mine is a all-stock bike and it barely makes noise. I know there were parking space issues, however, I park the bike in front of my car, in the same space - so it wouldn't effect the situation in any way.

The AMA has successfully fought and won against home owner groups, condo associations, and more. If you are not a member please join and never let it lapse. Call them up from whatever the number on their web site is.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by MVOUS View Post
    sounds like discrimination to me.
    +1

Something doesn't sound right.

How many bikes are there total in your group of units?

Definately bring it up with the board members. That's weird that they'd do something like that.

I bet someone complained that such a small bike is taking up a WHOLE space.

In the city the officers don't like seeing 1 bike in a BIG car spot. It is legal but they don't like it. (spots are at a premium).

They let us park our bikes on the sidewalk as long as it does not hamper someone in a wheelchair from going by.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I park the bike in front of my car, in the same space - so it wouldn't effect the situation in any way.
    FWIW, our condo association holds regular monthly meetings for owners to air grievances, bring up issues or business that they feel needs to be addressed, and the board members present either put it to a vote or decide to let the owners choose int he annual meeting. If you have an association, make friends on the board (I have found that brownies are a GREAT way to make friends), attend the meetings, and air your grievances informally. If you show you are a responsible adult living in a responsible way, the board members will be more likely to give you breaks.

That being said, there is one particular lady in our complex who, at the last meeting, complained that there was a rider doing the same thing you are doing - parking their bike with their car in their numbered spot so as to not take up extra spaces. Her complaint was that a motorcycle was a vehicle and therefore should be in its own spot like all other vehicles. I almost asked her what she would do if all 18 bikes on our property suddenly took up their own spots and were not paired (or in our case last year, tripled) in one spot, or partnered with the owner;s car, but someone told her she was being ridiculous before I could, and that she should be thankful the owner was willing to do that to make her and her neighbors' life easier.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.